Indications of autolysis

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rogmatic

Reaction score
I've just remembered the other day that I brewed up a sortof ESB-like brew, 6 months ago. It's been sitting in primary ever since. I'm wondering if there are any indications of yeast autolysis (I've heard that this can occur if the brew is left in primary for too long) and what they are (ie. particular odours, tastes). If it has autolyzed, is there anything I can do? Should I bottle anyways?

On a side note, can glass bottles be effectively washed for bottling in a dishwasher?

if the brew tastes like a good steak dinner then you have autolysis. if you do have autolysis there is nothing you can do. as far as bottling, its up to you. if you like the taste then why not bottle it.

the outside of bottles can be washed just fine with the dishwasher. the inside not so much. its unlikely the jets will get in the neck of the bottle. but the heat from the dryer and steam will get in there and sanitize the bottle. of course this is provided the inside of the bottle is clean and doesn't have any crusty stuff to protect the microbes.

Actually, it smells like gorilla poo in a diaper tossed out a car on a desert highway, 48 hours ago.

Autolysis really is a bogeyman for the homebrewer. Many folks have left their beer in primary for 6 months with no issues. I would be more worried about an infection, if the airlock was breached then I would be about THAT.

Back