Increasing Fermentation Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Page

Reaction score
I've read that increasing fermentation temp once the krausen has started to settle will get the yeast going again to have a clean fermentation. I wanted the trusty internet to re assure me that would be a good idea with this specific recipe I am working on below....

I am curious because I recently built a fermentation chamber out of a mini fridge and at stc-1000 but it can really only hold one fermenter at a time. If this is a good call to raise the temp I will be able to move the fermenter out of the chamber an fill it with more beer!? The room sits right at 70° where the chamber is set at 65°. What do you guys think?

Full boil BIAB (2.91 gallon)
- 6lbs 13oz Rahr Standard 2-Row
- 10.1 Munich 1
- 4.7oz Briess Carapils
- 4.5oz Melanoidin Malt
- 4.5oz Caramel/Crystal Malt English

-.33 oz Citra @ first wort
-.56 oz Citra @ Boil 10 min
-.56 oz Citra @ Boil 15 min
-.56 oz Citra @ Boil 5 min
-.66 oz Citra @ Whirlpool

Yeast: White Labs English Ale WLP002

I've read that increasing fermentation temp once the krausen has started to settle will get the yeast going again to have a clean fermentation. I wanted the trusty internet to re assure me that would be a good idea with this specific recipe I am working on below....

I am curious because I recently built a fermentation chamber out of a mini fridge and at stc-1000 but it can really only hold one fermenter at a time. If this is a good call to raise the temp I will be able to move the fermenter out of the chamber an fill it with more beer!? The room sits right at 70° where the chamber is set at 65°. What do you guys think?

Full boil BIAB (2.91 gallon)
- 6lbs 13oz Rahr Standard 2-Row
- 10.1 Munich 1
- 4.7oz Briess Carapils
- 4.5oz Melanoidin Malt
- 4.5oz Caramel/Crystal Malt English

-.33 oz Citra @ first wort
-.56 oz Citra @ Boil 10 min
-.56 oz Citra @ Boil 15 min
-.56 oz Citra @ Boil 5 min
-.66 oz Citra @ Whirlpool

Yeast: White Labs English Ale WLP002
I do this all the time, as long as the temps outside the chamber dont get too hot or too cold..I pitch my yeast below fermentation temp, then let the beer rise to ferm temps hold it there for 3-5 days after that you can take it out and let it hang out and clean up at 70F until you keg or bottle

It is a good plan although you may benefit from measuring the actual wort temperature in your setup during the active phase as it may be quite a bit higher than the ambient temp. Avoid turning to 70F ambient TOO early as the wort could then become 76F, which is quite high.

It is a good plan although you may benefit from measuring the actual wort temperature in your setup during the active phase as it may be quite a bit higher than the ambient temp. Avoid turning to 70F ambient TOO early as the wort could then become 76F, which is quite high.

As of now I have the STC probe taped with insulation to the side of the fermenter. The research I've done states this is nearly as accurate as using a thermowell. However, I did order a couple of thermowells but they wont be here in time for my next batch. But thanks for the warning!

Generally, you should be able to increase temp after high krausen (24-48hrs after knockout depending on yeast and pitch) without generating "extra" esters. Once the growth phase has passed fewer esters are formed, so a ramp-up at 36-48 hours into fermentation is ideal

I'm just trying to get it to condition at a moderate temp. After 2 weeks or so, I'll crash it to 32 and then carb it.

You'd get nearly the same effect leaving the beer at room temp as you would dropping the temp back to 64. One less move of the fermenter means less yeast stirred up to settle later.

You'd get nearly the same effect leaving the beer at room temp as you would dropping the temp back to 64. One less move of the fermenter means less yeast stirred up to settle later.

It just sits in the ferm chamber and I change the temperature on the Inkbird. I have a heating mat wrapped around the fermenter, so it's easy to raise the temp; then when I want to cool it, I just have the fridge do that. I'm not moving the fermenter at all.

Latest posts

Back