Inadvertant Flavor Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Notts

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
After our first couple batches of beer we seem to be getting the same subtle, unintentional flavor in every beer no matter what recipe or yeast we use. I'm not an expert but I'm going to describe it as a fruity and it causes the all our batches of beers to have almost Belgian flavor. Not exactly sure where we are picking up the flavor from. Does anyone have any ideas?

After our first couple batches of beer we seem to be getting the same subtle, unintentional flavor in every beer no matter what recipe or yeast we use. I'm not an expert but I'm going to describe it as a fruity and it causes the all our batches of beers to have almost Belgian flavor. Not exactly sure where we are picking up the flavor from. Does anyone have any ideas?

Are you using Extract or All Grain?

That flavor is probably "esters", a fruity taste. It's desirable in some Belgians, and in some English styles but not usually in an American pale ale or other beer that requires a "clean" flavor.

It usually comes from stressed yeast. That is beer that's fermented too warm (especially with a yeast like Nottingham that is great under 70 degrees, but very fruity over that) or a beer that's had not enough yeast added. That happens when someone uses liquid yeast without a starter in a beer that really needs one, so that the yeast is stressed.

If I had to guess, I would say that it's probably due to fermentation temperatures (not room temperature, but the actual temperature of the fermenting beer) over 72 degrees.

Could also be the hops they use, couldn't it?

Well, not if it's in all different recipes and styles. Some hops do have fruity notes, but if this flavor is present in all of the different recipes it makes me think of other causes. Generally, yeast pitching rates and temperature are the culprits behind fruity flavors. Water chemistry can give unintended flavors, too, but usually not fruity.

Well, not if it's in all different recipes and styles. Some hops do have fruity notes, but if this flavor is present in all of the different recipes it makes me think of other causes. Generally, yeast pitching rates and temperature are the culprits behind fruity flavors. Water chemistry can give unintended flavors, too, but usually not fruity.

Agreed.... :mug:

I'm still in the noob category as well.

Most of good brewing is about keeping the yeast happy. Stressing the yeasties: temperature too high or fluctuating, lack of aeration, pitching non-viable yeast or under pitching, will detract from the cleanness of the beer.

How long has your beer been in bottle before drinking? Some problems correct with aging.

Thanks everyone for the great input. I hadn't thought about the temperature and stressing the yeast producing the off flavors. I have experienced quite a bit of trouble keeping the temperature constant, even in my basement. I'm going to have to do some problem solving to figure this one out.

Thanks for the help!

Thanks everyone for the great input. I hadn't thought about the temperature and stressing the yeast producing the off flavors. I have experienced quite a bit of trouble keeping the temperature constant, even in my basement. I'm going to have to do some problem solving to figure this one out.

Thanks for the help!

Many people solve this problem by putting the fermenter in a water bath. This will most definitely help keep a more constant temperature. When I first started brewing, I had my fermentor in a water bath and put frozen water bottles in the water, changing them out every few hours. That helps knock a few degrees off.

I can vouch for the elevated temp issue. Had my first 2 APA's with nothing but a green apple taste with a decent bitter finish (after using only ice baths...I've since gotten a wort chiller). It turns out that with it being summer and our A/C was out (so it was about 80 in the house for 4 weeks...) that the batches sat around the 85F mark throughout fermentation.

Well, I'm drinking my second batch. The only thing I can say, is when I drank this beer to young, it was bad. Really bad. I posted, these experienced guy's answered, and said, let it conditioned. I did, and now, it is delicious. I will no longer drink it too young. My third batch is a porter and I brewed it big, so I'm gonna wait 4 weeks then refrigerate 1 more. I'll bet it too will be delicious. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back