Improving one-dimensional beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coypoo

Reaction score
I have a 2 month old golden sour, brewed 12/19/16 OG= 1.050, fermented with WY3711 (I know, not the best choice, but it's all I had), and pitched some lacto p capsules (IBU = 2). Gravity at transfer to secondary was 1.005 and pH 3.87 on 1/4/17 where I added TYB Brussels Blend. I checked on it today, gravity is 1.001, pH = 3.83. There's not any obvious off flavors from the sample I tasted (somewhat phenolic, maybe a little medicinally, but nothing bad), but it's just very 1-dimensional and "boring" for lack of a better description.

I'm making a 700ml starter of TYB Melange to add to this batch, but am wondering if I should add matlodextrin considering the gravity is so low. Im hoping the Melange starter will provide some fermentables to increase the complexity and flavor profile of the beer, but dont know if that will be enough? If in a couple-few months it's still boring, I will fruit/oak and hope for the best.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

My advice would be to give it more time. 2 months is very young for a mixed fermentation, and Brett usually starts to develop its flavor profile around 3-6 months. If you want to hedge your bets, you can keep adding dregs/microbes, but leaving it alone is a valid choice.

If, in 3-6 months, the beer is still bland, then I would feed it some maltodextrin and maybe pitch another set of microbes.

2 months is too soon. I find my first generation pitches don't gain good complexity for 12-18 months. Hit it with some maltodextrin and some dregs of your favorite lambic and leave it alone for a year.

Most of my question was regarding if I should add maltodextrin considering the gravity right now is only 1001. Not a lot for the brett and bacteria to work with, but then again, they dont need a whole lot

Back