Importing online recipes to Beersmith 2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImperialStout

Reaction score
I have Beersmith 2, build 48, the latest update. Read in Beersmith 2 that QUOTE "BeerSmith 2 supports three different file formats - allowing you to exchange recipes and data with a variety of brewers, even those who don't have the latest version of BeerSmith.

These file formats include: BeerSmith 2 files, which have a (*.bsmx) file extension, BeerSmith 1.X files compatible with earlier versions of BeerSmith, which have a (*.bsm) file extension and BeerXML format files (*.xml extension) - an open format supported by many other brewing programs.

Note: At this time the BeerXML export is not yet complete, though we hope to have it ready as an update to BeerSmith 2 shortly."

Does anyone know if the latest update, Oct 20, 2011, includes the ability to import .xml files?

Tried to import a recipe from Hopville.com but no luck. BS2 only wants to search my computer for recipes from Beersmith 1.4 in .bsm format. Hopville can export recipes in .xml format but BS2 does not recognize that format. Any thoughts?

Hi,
Yes - the latest build (48) does include XML import. You need to use the Open command, and then use the little dropdown at the bottom of the Open dialog to select the XML format instead of the BSM or BSMX format.

Brad

OK, that worked. Discovered the XML recipe needs to be saved in your computer and then imported to Brewsmith. I thought you could give Beersmith the recipe URL and it would download it. Now I see the only part of Beersmith that is online are the forums.

Some problems: The recipe and brewing notes I added all copied fine. What didn't copy correctly was the brewhouse efficiency (shows 72% instead of actual 59%, IF ONLY IT WERE TRUE) Sparge shows fly, I use infusion. Carbonation shows keg, I use bottle. Date shows date imported, not date brewed.

My guess is all these errors can be changed by editing the recipe in Brewsmith, correct?

I have a follow up question to this (sort of). When I open a recipe that I have saved to my desktop it shows up in BS. When I go to close it, it asked me if I want to save the recipe. I say yes and it doesn't show up in my list of recipes. What am I doing wrong ?

Hi,
If you open a BSMX (or BSM or BeerXML file) it opens it in a separate tab showing the file contents. To move it to your permanent store, simply copy/paste the recipes you wish to keep permanently to the "My Recipes" folder or a subfolder of "My Recipes.

You can select multiple items by holding down the control or shift key while clicking with the mouse (before copy/paste).

Brad

Hi,
If you open a BSMX (or BSM or BeerXML file) it opens it in a separate tab showing the file contents. To move it to your permanent store, simply copy/paste the recipes you wish to keep permanently to the "My Recipes" folder or a subfolder of "My Recipes.

You can select multiple items by holding down the control or shift key while clicking with the mouse (before copy/paste).

Brad

Thanks Brad. I appreciate the response.

Back