BeerSmith 2 vs BeerSmith 3 benefits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrickyDick

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So what if any are the real benefits of brewing with Beersmith 3 instead of Beersmith 2? I've paid for Beersmith 2 and BS3 is a subscription based product.
I use BS2 plus Bru N Water premium spreadsheet for brewing and pH and strike temps are usually spot on.
I don't use the cloud, I don't use inventory management, I just want to hit strike temps, do the basic calculations, and get an idea of where my recipes fall into style guidelines. I've used many others. I dislike the Mash design in Beersmith. I like how it progressively calculates your efficiency over time. I don't like how it handles multiple different versions of a recipe you've brewed more than once.
In general would prefer not to spend more money on a new product.
Since I went electric and sold my propane system I never really got BS2 synced to my new system like I had with my propane system.
I'd prefer not to spend more money, especially a subscription product, but sure did like the BS format.
Been trying to get back into brewing since taking a break for a few years, and it seems there must be other options out there.
ease of use is key. Ability to use across mac/pc or multiple Pcs (network drive recipe or inventory files) would be ideal.

Thoughts?
The ability to record in the software about new ingredients, or hopping schedules I can write on my brew sheets with a pencil for that stuff.

TD

IMO, BS3 doesn't offer anything significant over BS2. Unless it has changed though, BS3 can be purchased (not subscription only). I think it was about 35USD. I can't remember exactly what the changes were - I bought BS3 a while ago.

I'm sure one could find a change list on Brad's site somewhere.
I've rapidly forgotten about the move from BS2 to BS3, but best as I understand the upgrade is pretty much about refining the various algorithms used throughout the program...

Cheers!

....Been trying to get back into brewing since taking a break for a few years, and it seems there must be other options out there.
ease of use is key. Ability to use across mac/pc or multiple Pcs (network drive recipe or inventory files) would be ideal.....

Then BS2 and BS3 is not your answer. If you truly want the capability to use a software on multiple devices or on multiple platforms, then check out Brewfather. Brewfather's user interface is awesome and I like it a lot better than BS3 or BS2. Try it for free for 30 days without limitation.

FWIW, I switched to Brewfather last year after exclsusively using BS3. I still have BS2 but haven't used it in years....

Back