BeerXML Version 1.0 Extensions Are There Any?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScrewyBrewer

ezRecipe - The Easy Way To Awesome Beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been working on a way to import/export recipes in XML format. The problem is with BeerXML Version 1.0 many of the tags I feel are needed are not supported. I've read in several HBT posts about extensions to or an update to BeerXML. Any information on how others are planning to extend the original standard to include new tags would be appreciated.

I've been working on a way to import/export recipes in XML format. The problem is with BeerXML Version 1.0 many of the tags I feel are needed are not supported. I've read in several HBT posts about extensions to or an update to BeerXML. Any information on how others are planning to extend the original standard to include new tags would be appreciated.

I’ll dig some of my old stuff up. I had XML output in my spreadsheets at one point because my pals brewtroller interface accepted it. We came up with some interesting stuff.

There's this github repo project I'm a part of, https://github.com/beerjson/beerjson, that's hoping to take over where beerXML left off and was abandoned for further development.

BeerXML is currently abandoned, the proposal for version 2.0.1 was submitted in 2007 and never finalized... Any adjustments made internally by programs like beersmith and brewersfriend are not consistent across other software, so they generally export to what's "closest" in the beerXML 1.0 standard.

I've put a ton of missing properties into it, let me know if you have any questions about anything, and feel free to open an issue on the github repo or comment on the issue relating to supporting beerJSON in your software! https://github.com/beerjson/beerjson/issues/104

In the short term, I'm going with my own extensions to the original BeerXML 1.0 format. As with any standard depending on a particular use case, theres a lot of tags that I don't need and a lot of tags that I do but are missing. The beerjson project from what I read so far is interesting and it looks robust. Thank you for sharing the link Mark.

Back