Imperial porter , KRAUSEN attack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmoetech911

Reaction score
so i awoke to a very unusual high pitch squeel coming from my fermenting room, hummmm , what could it be , I unleashed the Krausen again, oops.
not much head space + high gravity = one pissed off Imperial porter...

anyone see problems with completely removing the lid and scraping off the krausen, then cleaning and sanitizing lid and airlock and replacing.... had the lid off twice for mb 3 mins first time and 2 mins second time. had to clean up twice but only scraped the krausen off the second time

No issue at all. It's actually how some people harvest yeast.

Unless you're spitting into the fermenter or using unsanitized utensils to scrape, the open air time you state won't give you any problems.

so i awoke to a very unusual high pitch squeel coming from my fermenting room, hummmm , what could it be , I unleashed the Krausen again, oops.
not much head space + high gravity = one pissed off Imperial porter...

anyone see problems with completely removing the lid and scraping off the krausen, then cleaning and sanitizing lid and airlock and replacing.... had the lid off twice for mb 3 mins first time and 2 mins second time. had to clean up twice but only scraped the krausen off the second time

Air lock ? I hope you ment blow off tube. :mug:

AIRLOCK !!!!!!!!!!! this was our first imperial and i havent had problems before but now i have a blowoff on there going into a pitcher half full of star-san....

do you think a pitcher is ok the tube was a tight fit in the growler and seemed to be buiding pressure

first pic was after the first time i cleaned it
second pic was 5 minutes after i removed and scraped krausen
finally 3rd pic after 3rd time cleaning....shoulda done it from jump-street

k1.jpg

k2.jpg

k3.jpg

I'd be pretty afraid of pressure building up and having krausen explode all over my clothes and dresser

If you have to ferment in that space, I'd suggest a blowoff every single time you brew, not worth the risk.

Back