Fermzilla Tri Clamp top.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmchair

Reaction score
I picked this replacement top up on sale at Williams brewing. This plastic lid has what looks like the top of a two liter bottle attached via a metal clamp. There is also a pressure release hole and two angled spouts for ball lock posts. (I broke the original top trying to pry off before i figured out to use a plastic car trim tool).

Unfortunately, as i discovered, the clamp wants to secretly leak pressure above a few psi, so it needs some keg lube on the seal. Metal compressing on plastic... Also, the added height forced me to mount my airlock on the lower angled opening. No biggie. Ill use a blow off next time.

As luck would have it, when i went to do a hop addition i realized i forgot to install my floating draft line. DOH!

The hole opening is big enough for the floating ball. Cool, but the throat narrows down too much to allow it through. So i had to remove the whole top. But, of course the top cant unscrew with the ball lock caps screwed on. And oops…the top cant screw back on with the ball locks reattached. (Insert Brian Cranston grabbing his forehead gif)

Essentially, there is nothing about the geometrics of this cap that is helpful, other than giving you a top to pour hops in, which is something. There are added leak points for using pressure. Even if i hadnt forgot the draft line, it would be nice to add it after the high krausen. But that is not worth all the twisting and reattaching.

I just recieved my G3.2 two days ago. I finally got around to attempting to fit things together today. I experienced some of the same issues you described. First of all the ports are made of a different size to all the normal keg fittings. So each port requires a special fitting for gas and fluid ports. And as you mentioned the cap ring will not fit over the ports with fittings or caps attached. In my box was a 3 piece blow off but no cap with a hole or grommet came with it to insert the blow off into.

My nephew has the original G3 and he purchased the pressure kit which provided qc fittings to replace the lame plastic caps that will not hold pressure. He also purchased extra qc fittings for just in case. And infact just in case was obvious once he tried to ferment under pressure. All the plastic fittings leaked pressure.

I did not know about the plastic caps but ordered regular qcs and other items when I ordered mine. Needless to say the extra items purchased are useless for the fermzilla but I will use them elsewhere anyway so no problem there. But now I have to order additional fittings in order to use this piece of equipment. Not happy with it at the moment.

Back