Immersion Chiller issue!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOYDBrew

Reaction score
Brewed today and noticed that my immersion chiller was leaking into the brewpot with my Wort in it! :mad: I did soak the chiller in Star San before putting it into the wort...so should i be worried about contamination?
i suspect It wasnt dripping for too long because i was checking on it often....

You don't sanitize/sterilize an IC with StarSan, you simply add it to the kettle/pot with 10-15 minutes left in the boil. Just be sure it's connected to the hoses first.
Check the clamps on the hoses to ensure they're tight. It's a good habit to have to check them right after the water is turned on, and then don't go off to do other things while water is flowing.
Without knowing your water profile, or how much actually got into the batch, it's difficult to say if you'll have any problems. A little water probably won't do much, if anything. A lot of water could do more harm to the flavors than contamination.

Chock this one up as a learning experience and see how the batch comes out once it's in the glass.

Golddiggie said:
You don't sanitize/sterilize an IC with StarSan, you simply add it to the kettle/pot with 10-15 minutes left in the boil. Just be sure it's connected to the hoses first.
Check the clamps on the hoses to ensure they're tight. It's a good habit to have to check them right after the water is turned on, and then don't go off to do other things while water is flowing.
Without knowing your water profile, or how much actually got into the batch, it's difficult to say if you'll have any problems. A little water probably won't do much, if anything. A lot of water could do more harm to the flavors than contamination.

Chock this one up as a learning experience and see how the batch comes out once it's in the glass.

Water quality here is great.
And I made the mistake of turning up the water pressure and also noticed the line was slightly twisted... I'm guessing maybe an oz leaked into the wort... Lesson learned.. will not do that again.

I don't know if it was Palmer's book or Papazian's book, but when I started brewing this winter for the first time, I was always worried about what would happen if something got contaminated. I acted like I was dealing with smallpox or ebola or something. Then one or both books said that, no matter what, if anything contaminates your beer that could harm you, it likely would smell ungodly.

I made my own homemade IC and found it pissing a little water into the wort. I didn't sweat it, and at the end, the OG was close enough for gubmint work.

and lastly, RDWHAHB.

Brewed today and noticed that my immersion chiller was leaking into the brewpot with my Wort in it! :mad: I did soak the chiller in Star San before putting it into the wort...so should i be worried about contamination?
i suspect It wasnt dripping for too long because i was checking on it often....

I'm guessing that it was leaking at a connection, and not a pinhole in the copper? It's not uncommon for them to leak a little at the connection, which is why I made my IC with long extensions that bend down over the side of the pot. If it leaks, it drips on the ground and not in my kettle. FWIW I don't run my chiller at a high water pressure. I get more efficient cooling at a lower water pressure, since it gives the flowing water a little more time to pick up the heat...

Latest posts

Back