I'm Thinking... 09/09/09 Barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is going to sound pretty noobish here, but how many are going to attempt natural carbonation here vs. force carbing and a BMBF?

I am just torn how I want to approach this since I don't want to go shipping flat bottles, though it is pretty damn good right now warm and flat.. :D
I'm going to try adding fresh 1056 yeast right after a ferment of a 60 min clone. The yeast should be very lively and should carb in the bottle. Probably will not be bottling it for about 3 more weeks. I've been patient and just letting the beer condition in the basement at 48 deg.

This is going to sound pretty noobish here, but how many are going to attempt natural carbonation here vs. force carbing and a BMBF?

I am just torn how I want to approach this since I don't want to go shipping flat bottles, though it is pretty damn good right now warm and flat.. :D

Gonna BMBF the whole keg. Don't want to take the chance of a flat barley wine after all this time. :eek:

I'm BMBF'ing (just gotta read up on what exactly that is).

Probably drag the keg in from the garage this week where it's been hovering around 47 degrees the last three months. Draw a sample and then tweak with 7-10 days of some dry hopping. Maybe a blend of Amarillo and Glacier.

Then it's into the chiller and on the gas (30PSI for 30 hours), drop PSI to serving and let sit a few more weeks until BMBF'ing time.

I am also BMBF'ing this beast. I actually have already filled 2 bottles.

I will probably rig up a tube to connect to my CO2 tank and purge each bottle before filling. Looking at mid/late March to get these bottles filled (need to collect the bottles). If I can get my act together, I will fill them on 3-9-09 so they can spend the next 6 months untouched in the bottled.

Unfortunately, I don't have the set-up to force carb and BMBF. That said, I was wondering how much (if any) you lose to the keg doing this? I'm going to be splitting my 5 gallon batch out into a few groups to oak, dry hop, put on a vanilla bean, and leave plain. Just to see what differences it makes. I will of course send a bottle of each variety. If I wasn't going to lose too much in the process, I might try and borrow some gear from a buddy.

Terje

...I was wondering how much (if any) you lose to the keg doing this?...

If you're talking about spillage, it's minimal. In the course of a 12-pack, I might end up with 1/4 cup at the bottom of the bucket, plus another 1/4 cup in the container I use to catch spillage when I'm bleeding the lines of CO2 bubbles.

Sooooo,, I don't have kegging equipment yet.. Kegs on the way now, but I don't see having all the gear in time.
Mine went from 1.111 to 1.028 (according to records I can find as my files are all gone) and it's been in secondary for 3+months.. Think there's enough yeasties in there to carb?

Yeah, I'm going to have some questions. This will be the first thing that I put in a keg, and I'm doing it exclusively to ensure the proper level of carbonation in the bottle. Like mmb said, too much time involved to risk it not carbing. I've got quite a bit of biermuncher thread reading ahead of me, and it scares the crap out of me!

Yeah, I'm going to have some questions. This will be the first thing that I put in a keg, and I'm doing it exclusively to ensure the proper level of carbonation in the bottle. Like mmb said, too much time involved to risk it not carbing. I've got quite a bit of biermuncher thread reading ahead of me, and it scares the crap out of me!

Don't worry, it'll be fine. How many gallons did you end up with?

Give it a few 6 packs as a test run to get the hang of it. It's not all that hard once you figure out the *burp* process. :D

Don't worry, it'll be fine. How many gallons did you end up with?

A little below 6, so I'm probably going to just carb up a full keg, then bottle whatever's left in 22's with carb drops. I'm filling a whole crapload of beautiful 8 oz coke bottles with Barleywine, so I have a feeling it's going to take me a L...O.......N..........G time. That's why I asked about the whole "1/2 one day 1/2 another thing" on your other thread.

What's everyone shooting for as far as volumes of co2? I was thinking around 2.

I like it a little higher myself. I just had a sixer of Bigfoot and it seems carbed close to the 2 1/2 range. I'll probably shoot for 2.3-2.4. I ordered some oak spirals for this beer. Havent' tasted it in a while. I hope it's doing ok. I thgought I had an infection last time I checked but a friend said it tasted like young Barleywine.

KD

A little below 6, so I'm probably going to just carb up a full keg, then bottle whatever's left in 22's with carb drops. I'm filling a whole crapload of beautiful 8 oz coke bottles with Barleywine, so I have a feeling it's going to take me a L...O.......N..........G time. That's why I asked about the whole "1/2 one day 1/2 another thing" on your other thread.

Wow...you must have had a boatload of grains for a BW at 6 gallons. :D

If that's the case, I'd carb it up just like a normal pale ale. For me it's 48 hours at 30PSI of the keg is put into the chiller at room temp. If it's already chilled, I dial that down to 36 hours.

I'd use those as a baseline and they should get you just barely on the low side of perfect carbonation. Then you can dial down to 12PSI and let it finishout over the next few days.

Disclaimer - The above is how my system works and yours may vary. It will be worth while to get in there after 24 hours, kill the gas, discharge excess pressure and draw a sample.

I thought about oak spirals but went with JD smokin chips. The oak is definitely there, cant quite taste the bourbon though. I'm disappointed in late addition hop utilization. I'm going to dryhop this weekend. Oh well, first brew on the new rig. You learn some, you drink some.:)

I'll repost this periodically to catch those who've missed it:

I expect we will initiate the exchanges in late March / early April.

I have not solicited your shipping info yet, but will in the next few weeks. (Please don't PM me with that info until I ask for it).

In the meantime:
  • Get those BW’s on oak if you plan to oak them.
  • Get a taste test and see if some late dry hopping will help them.
  • Get those bottles cleaned up.
  • Make sure your CO2 is adequate to charge that barleywine.
  • Start accumulating newspapers, bubble wrap or whatever other packing material you prefer.

Here are the swap parameters:
  • You will send to three random individuals.
  • You will receive from three random individuals.
  • You will send a minimum of 44 ounces. (Generally the minimum is either 4-12 ounce bottles, or 2-22 ounce bombers.)
  • No matter how much you send, two bottles in the package must be Barleywine.
  • You may (and are encouraged to) send additional HB for immediate enjoyment.

A typical package example would be five or six 12-ounce bottles, two of which are Barleywine.
As long as your recipient receives a minimum of 44 ounces of homebrew, including two bottles of BW, you have met the minimum.​

So when it is said and done, we should each be in possession of 6 bottles of barleywine and hopefully a weekends worth assortment of other homebrew.

Here are a couple of handy links related to:
Packing and Shipping Tutorial.
Link for free boxes.
I use the 12x12x8 size and yes, you can use them at UPS or Fed Ex.

Good luck and let’s get ready to rumble…. :rockin::rockin:

Checked on my baby in the keezer last night.....

a little warm (alcohol), but not harsh
nice bitterness
fairly malty, not too "raisin-y"
not much in the way of aroma

I hit it with some Amarillo (Homebrew Heaven's Retail Store is right down the street, and their hop selection is starting to get impressive again) I will check on it again in a week or so

I brewed this in early July, so it is getting pretty good.......:rockin:

Just pulled the keg in from the garage where it's been lagering at around 45 degrees for 4.5 months.

Tasted nice. Sweet but balanced. Malty but not cloying. Nice alcohol warmth.

I just dropped in the final touch:

.5 Oz Cacade
.5 Oz Crystal
.5 Oz Medium Oak chips

p1040015.jpg

Popped open a bottle this weekend to how this was carbonating. There was a slight puff but it was pretty flat. I guess there is still a chance for carbonation.

I thought I was pretty good with attenuation at 1.025 but the beer was quite sweet, almost cloying. As the beer warmed up to room temp it did improve. Maybe it just needs a little more carbonation and to be served warmer. The alcohols have mellowed nicely so it didn't taste hot even as it approached 60F.

Craig

I just tasted mine. Quite nice, but definitely needs another 4-6 months. Mine is getting dry hopped and an oak infusion spiral. I'm thinking Chinook for the DH.

KD

Popped open a bottle this weekend to how this was carbonating. There was a slight puff but it was pretty flat. I guess there is still a chance for carbonation.

Mine was the same way when I opened a bottle several weeks ago. Just a slight puff to let me know that some of the sugar was being converted, but it was still pretty flat and slightly sweet due to the priming sugar. My house isn't real warm which may be why it is taking a while to fully carbonate.

Mine was the same way when I opened a bottle several weeks ago. Just a slight puff to let me know that some of the sugar was being converted, but it was still pretty flat and slightly sweet due to the priming sugar. My house isn't real warm which may be why it is taking a while to fully carbonate.

Yea my brew room (storage closet in basement) is cold. Around 58-60F this time of year. I'm hoping but this beer has got to be stressful on any yeast left and over 12.5% ABV.

Craig

The dry hopping I did on mine in the secondary is holding up just fine and aging in a manner complementary with the rest of the beer. I got some good reviews from experienced judges and barleywine drinkers at Friday's Foam Ranger meeting, so my initial assessment seems credible. We all agree that it needs plenty more time, but that's no secret, since the baby is only five months old. I'm happy.

Now, if only I hadn't pulled off a half-liter of the stuff when I thought I was grabbing the tap for my rauchbockish thing! I guess I'll just have to brew it again, dadgummit.

TL

The dry hopping I did on mine in the secondary is holding up just fine and aging in a manner complementary with the rest of the beer. I got some good reviews from experienced judges and barleywine drinkers at Friday's Foam Ranger meeting, so my initial assessment seems credible. We all agree that it needs plenty more time, but that's no secret, since the baby is only five months old. I'm happy.

Now, if only I hadn't pulled off a half-liter of the stuff when I thought I was grabbing the tap for my rauchbockish thing! I guess I'll just have to brew it again, dadgummit.

TL
Need to brew an IPA next week. I'll use some of that yeast to bottle the 09-09-09. Probably will not bottle it for about another three weeks.

Had a bottle of mine last night and it's coming along very nicely. Carbonation has increased since the last time I tried it a couple months ago. Can't wait til 9/9/09!

If you are 100% committed to this swap, PM me with the following:

First & Last Name
Shipping Address
Reliable Email Address

• This window will be open for three weeks.
  • If I don't hear from someone after the first week, I will PM that individual.
  • If after 1 week of my PM I have not heard, I will PM again.
  • Five more days of no contact and that person is out of the swap.

The last week of March or whenever I get everyone's information (whichever comes first) I will drop the data into my excel randomizer and create the shipper/recipient match ups and PM them to you.

Again Here are the swap parameters:
  • You will send to three random individuals.
  • You will receive from three random individuals.
  • You will send a minimum of 44 ounces. (Generally the minimum is either 4-12 ounce bottles, or 2-22 ounce bombers.)
  • No matter how much you send, two bottles in the package must be Barleywine.
  • You may (and are encouraged to) send additional HB for immediate enjoyment.

A typical package example would be five or six 12-ounce bottles, two of which are Barleywine.
As long as your recipient receives a minimum of 44 ounces of homebrew, including two bottles of BW, you have met the minimum.​

So when it is said and done, we should each be in possession of 6 bottles of barleywine and hopefully a weekends worth assortment of other homebrew.

Here are a couple of handy links related to:
Packing and Shipping Tutorial.
Link for free boxes.
I use the 12x12x8 size and yes, you can use them at UPS or Fed Ex.

Good luck and let’s get ready to rumble…. :rockin::rockin:

Does anyone ever have any problems using the free USPS boxes whne sending with UPS or FedEx? While ordering them from the link above it said is is a violation of federal law to use them in a way other than they were intended (USPS shipments).

I turned mine inside out and re-taped it the last time. I don't think I'll bother this time around. Maybe black the logo out with a marker?

Just pulled the keg in from the garage where it's been lagering at around 45 degrees for 4.5 months.

Tasted nice. Sweet but balanced. Malty but not cloying. Nice alcohol warmth.

I just dropped in the final touch:

.5 Oz Cacade
.5 Oz Crystal
.5 Oz Medium Oak chips

p1040015.jpg
I like your idea, I'm going to have to get some Oak chips and soak them in bourbon. Will let it age several weeks before I bottle.

It is more effective to just pour in a little bourbon. Also, Stone (and others) uses an "oak tea" for their oaked brews. It is easier to control and you get immediate results.

It is more effective to just pour in a little bourbon. Also, Stone (and others) uses an "oak tea" for their oaked brews. It is easier to control and you get immediate results.

I like the idea of an "oak tea"....

However, wouldn't one be worried about extracting tannins and other undesirables from steeping the wood?

How does Stone do it?

They boil oak chips in water. Pretty straight forward. I was surprise when they told me that is what they do. They do have some beers they cask age, but the mass oaked stuff (I believe) is te oaked.

You will be getting tannins either way, which is a part of what you want. I like the oak cubes that have been toasted. With those you get the vanillian (or however you spell it). I don't know how effective a tea would be with these. I am not sure how much of that "other" character you would extract. I think (which I try to avoid) that you need to steep the cubes to get their character. But straight oak chips? I would make the tea.

Well, it does not look like I am getting the attenuation some of you are getting, but I went from 1.110 to 1.028 and am happy with that. Tonight I drew up a sample to check the gravity and to sneak a taste while I threw in 0.5oz cascade and 0.5oz Amarillo. The taste was great, but a bit sweet with a "raisin" finish. the alcohol heat was not near what I was expecting, it was more mellow than expected and well balanced. It definitely needs more time, but this is quite good at the present, even at room temp with no carbonation.

I hope to start force carbing this next week (working hard on finishing off an oatmeal stout so I have room to put this on my CO2 :D) and get this bottled by mid-March, just in time to ship out by the end of March. Look forward to swapping with the rest of y'all! :mug:

Here's who I've heard from so far with shipping info:

Beerrific
deathweed
EvilTOJ
FSR402
HarvInSTL
jmulligan
Kilted Brewer
KingBrianI
Liquidicem
mmb
nealf
Ridemywideglide
TerapinChef
TexLaw
Warrior
wildwest450
xiang

If you thought you PM'd me and your name isn't listed, PM me again.
If you're in on the swap and not listed, PM me with your shipping info please.

Yet another first for me in this brew. I'm going to dry hop it. I'll be doing a bit of a poll with the variety though.
Here's what I have:

1 oz Cascade 7.4%
1 oz Cluster 7.9%
5 oz German Hallertau 3.2%
6 oz Tettnang ?%

What should I throw in this epic brew? Decisions, decisions...

Yet another first for me in this brew. I'm going to dry hop it. I'll be doing a bit of a poll with the variety though.
Here's what I have:

1 oz Cascade 7.4%
1 oz Cluster 7.9%
5 oz German Hallertau 3.2%
6 oz Tettnang ?%

What should I throw in this epic brew? Decisions, decisions...

For an American Barleywine, I'd think the two "C" hops would work. Maybe a 1/2 ounce each? Plus, those other two are mild enough they may not come through a malty brew like that.

Back