I'm Thinking... 09/09/09 Barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...When does the actual shipping take place?

I plan on working our shipping partners and logistics sometime in early spring. This should have been plenty of time for bulk aging beers. We definitely want to avoid shipping in the hot weather.

I’m also going to toss out the idea that in addition to the BW’s we send, perhaps a few extra bottles of homebrew (or commercial if someone’s pipeline is low) would be in order. It would be nice to enjoy something immediately as part of the swap.

I plan on working our shipping partners and logistics sometime in early spring. This should have been plenty of time for bulk aging beers. We definitely want to avoid shipping in the hot weather.

I’m also going to toss out the idea that in addition to the BW’s we send, perhaps a few extra bottles of homebrew (or commercial if someone’s pipeline is low) would be in order. It would be nice to enjoy something immediately as part of the swap.

That's a good idea. I'll add a few bottles to mine.

I snuck a bottle of mine this week. Oh. My. God. It's completely awesome. I'm a little concerned that it is so drinkable right now. I feel like something that is supposed to be aged needs to be a little rough when young so that it holds up to the mellowing. I'm sure it will be great on 9/9 though. And I've got bottles saved for 2,3,4,5 and 10 yrs so we'll see what happens.

I snuck a bottle of mine this week. Oh. My. God. It's completely awesome. I'm a little concerned that it is so drinkable right now. I feel like something that is supposed to be aged needs to be a little rough when young so that it holds up to the mellowing. I'm sure it will be great on 9/9 though. And I've got bottles saved for 2,3,4,5 and 10 yrs so we'll see what happens.

hehe - I am saving bottles for one a year for the next 21 years, and three on the 21st year. I am just trying to decide between 12 and 22 ozers :)

If I do twelves I can have the rest over the next year. Otherwise, I will have to save it all for the special occasions.

Mine has been stuck at 1.060 for over a month. Last week I made a starter with WLP099 and dumped it in, I am going to take another reading this weekend. If that does not get it I will try racking it on to a yeast cake from another batch.

Sounds like a good idea, we'll get to sample several beers that way before the 09-09-09. Just racked mine out of the primary finally after 3 months. Went from a 1.122 to a 1.026, tasted okay but definately a young barleywine. It was at about 50 degrees for the last month and I just put the secondary in the basement to remain at around 50 for another 3 months. Will bottle it around March, look forward to seeing how this beer matures.

Mine has been stuck at 1.060 for over a month. Last week I made a starter with WLP099 and dumped it in, I am going to take another reading this weekend. If that does not get it I will try racking it on to a yeast cake from another batch.

I'm with you, only I'm at 1.050, and I've tasted it, it's way too sweet. I've since pitched a 1000ML of straight slurry of Cal Ale V, and two packets of Red Star Champagne yeast. I haven't checked in the two weeks since the Champagne yeast, but I haven't noticed a lot of activity. This one might just end up being a bit on the too sweet side.

Just bottled mine tonight. Started at 1.124 and finished at about 1.023. Last time I tasted it, there was so much suspended crap (mostly hops) that it tasted horrific. That has changed.

Mmmmmm... It is really tasty now, so I'm hoping that in 9 months (on 09-09-09) it is REALLY fantastic. I got 40 bottles out of my batch, and I can already tell you that I am going to be so miserly about sharing these with anyone. :eek:

Just bottled mine tonight. Started at 1.124 and finished at about 1.023. Last time I tasted it, there was so much suspended crap (mostly hops) that it tasted horrific. That has changed.

Mmmmmm... It is really tasty now, so I'm hoping that in 9 months (on 09-09-09) it is REALLY fantastic. I got 40 bottles out of my batch, and I can already tell you that I am going to be so miserly about sharing these with anyone. :eek:

Yep. We're getting near that time. I figure sometime in early-mid March, we'll assign names. I haven't reviewed the list lately, but there have probably been some drop-offs in the last month or so.

I guess I better drag a tap out to my garage and decide if I want to dry hop my batch before I bottle.

Just make another batch, then you will not have to be so miserly:)

My last pitching of champagne yeast (about 2 months ago) is still slowly bubbling away and suddenly I'm feeling rushed!

Your last? How many did you do? And was it necessary? I only did the yeast at brew time and I've come up to near 13%.
My last check was a 1016, about 2 months ago, so I think it's pretty well there.

Well I did two, but they were only a few days apart. It kind of stalled out when I pitched it and didn't start fermenting until about 10 days later. I racked over to secondary before I really wanted to and my initial yeast pitch (Cal Ale V) had crapped out already anyways.

Note: Due to a mix up before brew day, my grain bill contained an extra 9# of Marris Otter and started at 1.276 if I remember correctly. I was stuck at 1.035 so you were quite a bit lower than me.

Nah 1/2" ball valve and 1/2" tubing and it was no problem. Till it got towards the end. This thing looked like cement when I got down to the last gallon or so. I ended up scooping it out with a measuring cup and running it through a strainer into a funnel. It was a good time.

Biermuncher.....

I know I haven't been on in a while.....
But I am still in for the swap. 999BW is tasting pretty nice and I plan to bottle in the coming weeks.

Been a little busy the last few months. Started a job at Boeing in Seattle and have been getting situated up here in the Pacific Northwest.

I was going to keg but I'm thinking more about bottle conditioning and laying it down. As this is my first HUGE beer, should I be concerned about the yeast not being able to carbonate properly? It went from 1.114 to 1.020 already.

My BMBF skillz are seriously lacking. :(

Mine will be going in the kezzer in the next week or two to carb up. My brew club has a club only comp coming up next month for beers over 1.08 OG so seeing how I don't have anything else on hand that big I may put the 999 in just to see how she does being young and all.

So what is the chances this is going to bottle carbonate?

Beersmith says mine is 12.75% ABV. I'm thinking I will rehydrate some champagne yeast to add to the bottling bucket. I'm worried that the US-05 has already exceeded its expected tolerance and has been dormant for a few months now.

Craig

Beersmith says mine is 12.75% ABV. I'm thinking I will rehydrate some champagne yeast to add to the bottling bucket. I'm worried that the US-05 has already exceeded its expected tolerance and has been dormant for a few months now.

Craig

I've never tried using a different yeast to bottle, would you need to worry about the champagne yeast eating not only the priming sugar but also sugars that the 05 didn't use?

I've never tried using a different yeast to bottle, would you need to worry about the champagne yeast eating not only the priming sugar but also sugars that the 05 didn't use?

that would be my fear. you might end up overcarbonating or even get bottle bombs. my 999 carbed up just fine, although my OG was lower than most at 1.100.

Craig

Well I used the US-05 and I finished out at 16%abv

Well I used the US-05 and I finished out at 16%abv

Well maybe I'm worrying too much about US-05.

I'm not too worried about the champagne finding something other than the priming sugar to eat. My barley wine was OG 1.120 and FG 1.025. US-05 did a great job bringing this one down. I really doubt a wine yeast is going to find much else edible.

Wine yeast will make a very dry wine but grape sugars are much more edible than malt sugars. I don't think they are well adapted to the more complex sugars that ale yeasts leave.

Craig

I just bottled mine on Tuesday night. It's sitting at ~1.022 and 10.7% ABV. I took a chance that there is still enough viable yeast to carb this thing. I'll check a bottle in about 4 weeks to see how it's coming along.

The hydrometer sample was intense. It definitely tastes like a young Barleywine. I imagine a few months of carbonating and aging will do wonders.

Based on the experience of some fellow homebrewers with their barleywines, I would recommend pitching a half package of US-05 into the bottling bucket at bottling time. The Cali ale can tolerate 14%+ ABV, but it won't carbonate well after a long conditioning period in a high alcohol beer.

Crap.... I used 1056 which is nearly the same (if not the same strain as Cali). I didn't add any at bottling time, so this will be interesting. I'll keep an eye on it for a month or so. If there's no hiss, I might have to get creative with a yeast addition.... time till tell.

Based on the experience of some fellow homebrewers with their barleywines, I would recommend pitching a half package of US-05 into the bottling bucket at bottling time. The Cali ale can tolerate 14%+ ABV, but it won't carbonate well after a long conditioning period in a high alcohol beer.

I did NOT do this, and regret it. It's been in bottles for two months, but almost 0 carbonation. I'm keeping them in 73 degree ambient temp, and have tipped the bottles a few times in hopes of awaking the yeast with no success. Can someone help me with an idea on how to get some carbonation now??? Thanks in advance.

BTW, I did the smoked version and it is amazing.

I did NOT do this, and regret it. It's been in bottles for two months, but almost 0 carbonation. I'm keeping them in 73 degree ambient temp, and have tipped the bottles a few times in hopes of awaking the yeast with no success. Can someone help me with an idea on how to get some carbonation now??? Thanks in advance.

BTW, I did the smoked version and it is amazing.

Get yourself some more caps, sanitize them and some tweezers. Drop one grain of yeast into each bottle and recap.

Back