I'm not sure what to do with this "beer tap" thing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jtpryan

Reaction score
My neighbor had this thing that he no longer wanted and claimed it was "all there". It was in a small suitcase and very heavy so of course I took it. I don't home brew and in fact only drink the occasional beer, but thought it might be something one of my sons might enjoy. Anyway, I think it is a "Dalex Beer Engine" from about an hour's worth of research. If anybody can provide some info on how it is set up and if in fact I actually have all the pieces that would be great I don't know if "GASKELL & CHAMBERS" is still in existence or how they could be reached if they were. Here is a link to some pics

Cool. I would LOVE to have that and restore it and put it back together. What a cool project!

The beer engine is used to "Pull" beer from the basement (usually) up to the bar. Can be used to lift a beer from under the bar as well, but traditionally it was kept a bit cooler in the basement. Those beers aren't pushed by CO2, and so are usually a bit less carbonated. Might not appeal to an American beer fan, but you never know. I prefer a more carbonated experience, personally (Except for really big beers) and haven't found a beer on Nitro or hand pulled that I liked better than the regular version, but many people do like them better.

Good luck. I hope whoever ends up with it can appreciate it and get use out of it.

I recommend visiting this UK homebrewing forum and asking there https://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=38

This is a great engine (I'd love to have it myself!)... but it was made in the UK and serving beer via these pumps are native to the UK-- there is a microscopic number of US establishments using beer pumps vs the UK, and none would be using such an old pump.

That said, I know other people have posted in the aforementioned forum about pumps similar to yours with great success!

:mug:

Modern American version made with an RV faucet [emoji38] It does have a UK sparkler on the end.
20191028_205401-1512x2016.jpeg

That is one cool looking machine. I do know what the four silver faucets with the glass balls are for and the thing that looks like 4 circles beside each other - it's a liquor measuring system that's really common in England (but not ususally that cool/fancy)

pub-spirits-optics-measure-variety-of-popular-spirit-bottles-in-a-BKC9J3.jpg

Back