I'm new, sorta.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GarrettMD

Reaction score
Hey, my name is Garrett, if you couldn't tell by the username. Not a doctor though, those are just my other initials. I've been around the site for a few days, maybe a week now, and decided I should post this. I am a member of BeerAdvocate and had seen references to this site a lot and never thought to join another community, but finally did when I was looking more at the homebrew section of BA than anything else. I am actually still in college (hopefully graduating this next year), majoring in Aerospace/Mechanical Engineering. I have been brewing for 2.5 years now. I started doing all-grain almost a year ago, but only got a proper all-grain setup this fall. I've gotten to the point where I will brew once every 2 weeks and help someone else with a brew every week. I can't decide what to brew next, ever, I just have too many ideas and don't know what I want to do more. It always seems like I choose the stouts first and I want to keep away from that, but oh well, you brew what you like right?

I haven't brewed enough batches to have a "go-to" beer that I brew, but I can tell I'm getting close, especially after the over-hopped oatmeal stout I just brewed. I have started making my own recipes from scratch rather than looking online for base recipes and altering them slightly. The beers that I have been making from scratch are turning out better than any of the recipes I have found online, so I think I am going in the right direction. Now I just have to start entering them into competitions, then I will be able to tell just how good I'm doing on my own. That's what this next month is for though.

Hi Garrett! Would you consider sharing one of your "from scratch" stout recipes with me? It's one of my fav styles. I think you live far enough away that you don't have to worry about your recipe showing up in the same competition :D I've been slowly putting together my own all-grain setup as well.

Back