I'm brewing beer for 100's of people -- how much to brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good stuff. I'm not sure what the rest of the alcohol situation will be like (wine, liquor). I think they came to me because they want to keep their alcohol costs down, so for now I'm assuming it will be a homebrew-only event.

:rockin:

Hope they are good friends. In trying to keep their alcohol costs down, they transferred the cost to you basically. You have committed a month of Sundays for their wedding with the selection you are talking about (assuming you do 15 gallon batches; if you only do 5 gallon batches you are looking at 2-4 months trying to get those volumes of beer!).

That is not an insignificant amount of time, if you are anywhere as busy the rest of us are on the weekends. Is that time you are willing to give up for their wedding?

That's great they are beer-geeks and all, but they sound awfully demanding when it is going to be you doing all the grunt work of brewing, cleaning, etc; the stress of timing and not screwing up a batch; getting the beer to the event, etc.

They are also requesting some advanced styles of beer...for example, you'll need to build starters for the Tripel and the IIPA, extended conditioning, dry-hopping, adding fruit flavor, etc. Not only that, I am willing to bet that most of the beer drinking guests will not even touch those styles. The fact is that even a fair percentage of craft beer drinkers will still turn their nose up when they find out its homebrew. Even if they are into homebrew, none of those styles don't lend themselves to hours of drinking that should go on during a wedding.

I'm predicting that you will be putting alot of work in only to bring alot of the beer back home with you. The bride/groom will have gotten what they wanted but I'm not sure the guest will, and it will be all at your expense.

Just my $0.02. I know it sounds harsh...sorry about that.

I was thinking of doing more of the wit than (say) the IIPA since 2/3rds of the guests are BMC drinkers. I think your totals sound pretty good. 300-400 servings of brew... that's 6-8 kegs of homebrew! Mercy me...

Edit: Then again, it could be on the low side for the crowd. These folks like to dance and party late...

Frankly, you are smoking crack if you think that those guests are going to go for a Wit in the absence of BMC.

Hope they are good friends. [...] I know it sounds harsh...sorry about that.

From post #1:

A very good friend is getting married September 21st, 2014.

I'm the best man in the wedding. I have been friends with this man for 25 years. I'm not being taken advantage of. This was my idea and is my wedding gift to them. You do come off harsh and a little a**holeish, not helpful, which is what this thread is about.

Frankly, you are smoking crack if you think that those guests are going to go for a Wit in the absence of BMC.

No, no crack here. I've served wit at a couple functions (large 4th of July parties) and the wit keg floated first both times. "I'll take another one of the light ones." While craft beer drinkers might pass on a wit (personal preference), the BMC crowd doesn't in my experience.

Frankly, your input isn't very helpful here.

From post #1:

I'm the best man in the wedding. I have been friends with this man for 25 years. I'm not being taken advantage of. This was my idea and is my wedding gift to them. You do come off harsh and a little a**holeish, not helpful, which is what this thread is about.

No, no crack here. I've served wit at a couple functions (large 4th of July parties) and the wit keg floated first both times. "I'll take another one of the light ones." While craft beer drinkers might pass on a wit (personal preference), the BMC crowd doesn't in my experience.

Frankly, your input isn't very helpful here.

fair enuff. I'm only reiterating what everyone else has recommended to you, albeit a bit more direct. Don't come to a discussion board if you don't want discussion.

No one has been a ******, but one.

At least you've been a good sport about it, telling everyone "hey, that's a great idea, but I'm going to summarily ignore it. Yeah, I know I came on here asking for advice, and I know you have actually brewed for a few weddings in the past, but its apparent that I seem to know more than you do."

The board need a circle-jerk sub forum for some of the thinner skinned individuals.

Dang. I need a beer. Hmmm. What style should it be? Aaauuuggghhhhhhh

Seriously. I need a beer. I think I'll have one. BBG, you're welcome to swing by for a pint or four.

At least you've been a good sport about it, telling everyone "hey, that's a great idea, but I'm going to summarily ignore it. Yeah, I know I came on here asking for advice, and I know you have actually brewed for a few weddings in the past, but its apparent that I seem to know more than you do."

The board need a circle-jerk sub forum for some of the thinner skinned individuals.

OK troll, go feed elsewhere...

Just as a background I've served beer at about 100 weddings as a caterer. When it comes to serving beer there are a few questions I would want to know:

1) What is the duration of the reception?
2) What food is being served?
3) What other alcohol is being served?

If the duration of the reception is 4+ hours, the food is heavy with several courses, and no other alcohol was being served I think 4 beers per person would be more than sufficient. This is assuming that people will have to drive (even a short distance) and that the intent of the wedding isn't to get completely blitzed. Also, there is a tendancy to overestimate how much people will drink/eat. Remember some people will have 6 beers, some 2, etc.

I would recommend doing the split among your beers something like 10g Triple, 15g IIPA, 25g Wit, 20g rasp brown. This is the max I would consider and if any of the above factors (shorter reception, less food, other alcohol) come in to play I would reduce the beer served down to closer to the 2 servings that another caterer earlier recommended (this is more typical).

Although others have mentioned it, I will reiterate that the beer menu seems to be what the bride/groom/wedding party wants but not necessarily what their guests will want. What about the 50 people who aren't beer nerds? Will they want a BMC or at least a sessionable beer? If I were their caterer (or their friend) I would definitely attempt to persuade them to put something more sessionable in the mix. Even as a beer nerd myself, I wouldn't want to drink 5 Triples or IIPAs at a wedding and have to drive even 1 foot from the premises. And I dislike Wit beers and fruit beers so what I would likely do is drink 1 or 2 of the Triples or IIPAs and then stop drinking. If only there were a decent session beer!

Good luck and I hope you have fun brewing this.

Thanks for this post, probably the best advice I've gotten so far. I've served wit to masses of BMC drinkers in the past to rave reviews and quickly-drained kegs -- that's where the idea for wit as the light/sessionable (4.4%) beer came from. I second the notion of not wanting high gravity brew coming out my ears, but the wedding couple want what they want. I couldn't push a regular IPA on them, etc.

Thanks again for the good input, sir! :mug:

My wedding was in May of last year. We had about 120 people. Quite a few BMC drinkers, but quite a few Craft drinkers as well. Brewed a Black IPA 5 gal(Black Tux) Witbier 10 gal(White Dress) and a Pinnaple Wheat 5 gal(Honeymoon, as we were going to Maui)
Had them all on tap in a jockey box (covered with white sheet to look classy, LOL)
Everyone loved the witbier, but even more people were raving about my pineapple wheat, the people who run the facility wanted to know if I would brew it exclusivly for them! Over the summer is actually won first place in the state fair too.

More suprising to me was the amount to black ipa people were drinking, it was really popular. I even had hard core BMC drinkers going for my beer and enjoying it!!

The only thing we had left was 1-2 gallons of witbier. We also had a bar availible for people who don't drink beer, and did 2 cases of red and 2 cases of white wine as well.

Hope this helps in some way.

I have a feeling that sessionable fruit beers go quickly at mixed festive events like weddings. Good advice/experience there, thetmaxx.

I say +1 to the post that mentioned making a Kolsch your wit would work for the lighter beer like you were thinking for most folks However I would do a Kolsch also if it were me just to give one more option to people. I've made a Kolsch with a touch of Honey malt in it twice now that is a major hit when the BMC drinkers are around my kegs never last long! Oh and you should make lots of extra trippel and send it to me!!

5 -- Kolsch 4%
5 -- Wit 3.5-5%
5 -- Trippel 8-11%
5 -- Yoopers Oatmeal stout 4.5% (find the post it is awesome stuff!)
5 -- IPA 7%

I like the jocky box idea (we usually serve our guests using a portable True fridge). I definitely would avoid glass bottles if possible.

No bottles, no way. All draft. And a jockey box has quickly emerged as the most logical way to dispense 4 different brews to hundreds of people...

I brewed two kinds to supplement some various craft offerings at my brothers wedding. He had atleast 6-7 different beers, some were fruit beers, some were bocks, Pales, Wheats, Lagers.. Not a drop of BMC in the place too. Wine and light liquors.

My beer was all gone just about at the happy hour before hand. I did a Blonde with orange peel, and a really piney juicy citrus IPA.

I figured the IPA would hold out the longest, and I was wrong. It was first to go, and FAST. I had people seeking me out at the reception asking if there was more somewhere. The blonde was there to let the bud light wieners have something to drink.. It kicked out fast, but the IPA really surprised me.

I brewed two kinds to supplement some various craft offerings at my brothers wedding. He had atleast 6-7 different beers, some were fruit beers, some were bocks, Pales, Wheats, Lagers.. Not a drop of BMC in the place too. Wine and light liquors.

My beer was all gone just about at the happy hour before hand. I did a Blonde with orange peel, and a really piney juicy citrus IPA.

I figured the IPA would hold out the longest, and I was wrong. It was first to go, and FAST. I had people seeking me out at the reception asking if there was more somewhere. The blonde was there to let the bud light wieners have something to drink.. It kicked out fast, but the IPA really surprised me.

Surprising. Sounds like "homemade" is a selling point that makes a lot of BMC drinkers adventurous... food for thought...

I was able to rent a four tap jockey box from a local homebrew club, the frist club I contacted didn't have it available that day, second call got the jockey box for rent. So that seems to be a good resource if you need to rent one.

FWIW, I have many friends that won't touch a wit. But they'll guzzle a blonde in a heartbeat. Hell, I get bored with a wit after one or two. BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde looks to be a winner in the recipe section.

Today a friend was telling me he wished he could find Shiner Bock in CA... for anybody that's had it, it's not exactly a spectacular beer. That tells me that for most people it's as much not about flavor as it is for us here, but about drinkability.

The fruit for the 4th is a great idea. I'm actually sitting here enjoying a Lost Coast Raspberry Brown, and I can't imagine it having a wide appeal. The last get-together I had, Kona's Wailua Wheat (American Wheat with Passion Fruit) went the quickest. Even I was taken aback by how good it was.

If this doesn't help any, feel free to ignore it...

^^ Read my previous post...

Ah, more beer menu suggestions :rolleyes:

I realize that designing the menu is the fun part, but it's taken care of friends. The bride and groom are beer enthusiasts and they know what they want -- IIPA, not regular IPA etc etc. As already stated the low alcohol/light beer will be a wit. Stronger and more flavorful beers will be available as well. The questions are: how many beers for 100 beer drinkers, and what ratio of brews?

Lineup:

Tripel
IIPA
Wit
Raspberry Brown (tentative)

The majority of the guests will be locals, I'm sure all guests will be lodging locally.

The suggestion of 2 beers per guest sounds light for confirmed beer drinkers. Assume all of those 100 guests will drink.

Thanks for all the replies so far! This is helpful stuff, guys and gals.

Just finished reading through all of the replies on this one. I don't think I have ever heard of someone planning a wedding almost 2 years in the future?

As long as you have good beer and a few varieties - you'll be fine!

Best of luck

ButchV12

My wife and I planned 1.5 years in advance. It's a big day and takes some time to come together right. If I had to brew for my wedding I would plan on serving about 12 a piece to them. That works out to about 22 corny's for 100 people, even on the big beer's they would drink 12.

Just finished reading through all of the replies on this one. I don't think I have ever heard of someone planning a wedding almost 2 years in the future?

As long as you have good beer and a few varieties - you'll be fine!

Best of luck

ButchV12

It was a three year engagement! I've never heard of such a thing either! The bride has a quirky need to control details (not sure if her being an only child if a factor there). Part of her life plan was to NOT get married before she was 30. Guess who'll be 30 by September 2014?

My wife and I planned 1.5 years in advance. It's a big day and takes some time to come together right. If I had to brew for my wedding I would plan on serving about 12 a piece to them. That works out to about 22 corny's for 100 people, even on the big beer's they would drink 12.

For every couple of posts that project two beers per guest there's a post like this -- a post that seriously worries me about my guesstimates.

Mr. Troll back here to say...that other guy is smoking crack now....12 beers/guest? 12 big beers? ...naw.

Holy crap. 12 beers/guest+big beers. I remember drinking like that when I was 19 or 20.... Working in construction, going out every night. Is OP brewing for a younger crowd as well? That might be a reason to brew more. Also, time of year and weather. The Bakersfield area in September is hot. I would be running away from big beers at that time of year. I might have a taste or three of big beers in the summer just to say that I did, but a witbier, wheat, blonde, weisse, PA's, IPA's hell, lambics, kreiks, Maybe a hard cider or two..

I would be running away from big beers at that time of year. I might have a taste or three of big beers in the summer just to say that I did said:
Man --- I have to agree.....

I'm in Texas where we KNOW it's going to be hot ( 90's and above ) for at least 3 to 4 months. I have been to summer weddings and the last thing I would want would be a "big" beer. Now, on the other hand, if I was asked by the Bride/Groom to make some, I would. The possibly worst thing that could happen is you bring it home to enjoy later!

Again ---- best of luck!

ButchV12

For every couple of posts that project two beers per guest there's a post like this -- a post that seriously worries me about my guesstimates.

It's hard to say whether the commentor has actual experience serving 12 beers at his wedding or simply "would want to". When it comes to catering and/or drinks at an event the tendency for those who are inexperienced is to over estimate (by multiples in some cases) what amount of food or beverage is required. We tend to think of one person, call them "Big Billy" who can eat and drink a whole mountain and then project how much we need based on that one person. The problem is that "Big Billy" isn't typical.

Since our profit margin and the client's interest in referring us to another client were on the line when making these determinations we were very careful to have "just the right amount". In fact of all the weddings we did we only ran out of food at one event. Can you guess the average guest's age?

It was a 3rd marriage for a couple in their 70s. The average guest age was around 65. Older folks (especially those living in homes) will starve themselves for a week before coming to your event and then eat 1.5 times what "Big Billy" will. Strange but true :confused:

Regarding how much to have, ultimately the decision is up to you (and the bride and groom). The good news is that you don't have to throw away the excess booze (like we had to throw away perfectly good food if it wasn't consumed) so you may prefer to error on the higher side. Even still, to imagine serving 12 big beers on average to those guests makes me more concerned that you will end up in court explaining why you got your friends so drunk and now they are facing a DUI and you may be held responsible (good thing you aren't an actual business or that could very well happen).

2 beers on average for an average crowd. 4 beers on average for a beer enthusiast crowd. This is plenty conservative without being ridiculous. However, if you want to make and have a bunch of extra beer there is nothing that says you can't. Please don't serve all of it to the guests :drunk:

One other thought is to consider whether you have the equipment and space needed to brew this much.

Assuming you are doing 4 beers per person with 150 guests that is 60 gallons of beer or approximately 12 corny kegs. On the other hand 12 beers per person is 180 gallons of beer and 36 kegs. That requires a lot of storage space and equipment.

Lastly, you had mentioned that saving money was a priority. Even assuming you mill you own grain bought in bulk, buy hops in bulk, and wash your yeast it would be hard to get below $30 per keg in grain bill with these larger beers and $20 with the wit. So to do 12 beers per person is probably around $1200 while doing 4 beers per person is about $400 assuming you have more wit than other beer.

The last get-together I had, Kona's Wailua Wheat (American Wheat with Passion Fruit) went the quickest. Even I was taken aback by how good it was.
:off: I love Wailua Wheat, great summer beer, I drink cases of it! Need to learn to clone it!! Sorry to hijack the thread... :off:

People are gonna drink. Whether they have to pay for it, or whether its free. If there is no BMC, and homebrew is the only thing that's offered in addition to wine, people are going to at least try it. Lets say they don't like the first one, dump it and try the next, that's two per person right there. So, take the guests that are going to have two, average it out to those who are gonna have 6. I'd say an average of 4-5 beers a person sounds about right. Hell, make more if they want you to with the agreement that you keep the leftovers, or they invest in some equipment that you need.

What is the average age of the guest list? When I got married at 23 at least half of the 200 people were between 20-30 years old we went through 4 kegs (2 of BMC and 2 of Summit Extra Pale Ale). At my sister's wedding the vast majority of the guests were older than 30 and I think they had 2 kegs. It really depends on the guests and how much they drink. Then again...this is your brew so having extra left over isn't a bad thing because you get to bring it home.

I also agree with the above comments. I would say add a Pale Ale...

People are gonna drink. Whether they have to pay for it, or whether its free. If there is no BMC, and homebrew is the only thing that's offered in addition to wine, people are going to at least try it. Lets say they don't like the first one, dump it and try the next, that's two per person right there. So, take the guests that are going to have two, average it out to those who are gonna have 6. I'd say an average of 4-5 beers a person sounds about right. Hell, make more if they want you to with the agreement that you keep the leftovers, or they invest in some equipment that you need.

OP is paying for the ingredients, so I really doubt anybody else is going to try to say that he shouldn't take it home with him.

When we got married at the end of the highschoolzoic era,we had a trash can (new) filled with a few cases of weidemen's beer on ice,2 cases of liquor (mixed),& extra ice & wash. Ice was from a machine on premises. We invited 150 guests,about 100 showed up. Funny that my buddies mother flew in from Iran,but folks a few states away didn't show. Something else to concider. And boy,was her eggplant stew with strips of beef ever delicious. Wish I could've gotten the recipe.
So 3-4 beers per guest would work out pretty well. Rich foods with richer,heavier beers. Lighter foods get pale ales,koulsh,cream ales,or even a light pale ale with noble hops would likely work for the BCB crowd. And if it's going to be hot or really warm,I agree to tone down the heavier beers. I'd bring that up with the bride & groom. Another thing to concider. Heavy big beers & hot weather don't mix well,as they won't be able to drink much of them.

Back