How much Co2 when aging a beer in keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agentbud

Reaction score
I am brewing a Belgian Quad. I have read that this style does well after letting it age for a while. So, after fermentation is complete I plan to transfer to a keg and let it sit for some months (6-9 maybe) to age and condition. My question is this.. when letting a beer age/condition in a keg for an extended period, how much Co2 should you push into the keg? ie - just enough to purge any o2 from the headspace, or enough to get it up to serving pressure, or ??

Thanks, Mike

Are you aging it at serving temperature or warmer? IMO, if you're not aging at serving temperature (or close to it) then just purge the O2 from the keg. If you're going to let it rest at serving temperature, then you might as well carbonate it during that time (set and forget method since you had more than enough time).

I would prefer to carb it with CO2 instead of adding anything else to it. Just didn't know if I should add the CO2 at the beginning or end of aging.

I would prefer to carb it with CO2 instead of adding anything else to it. Just didn't know if I should add the CO2 at the beginning or end of aging.
With your storing temperature, I'd do it after aging. Just purge the headspace of the keg (fully) before you set it to age.

Ideally fill the keg through a closed transfer into a 100% liquid pre-purged keg (or with fermentation CO2), to eliminate any O2 exposure. Then carb to 6-12 PSI for a few days and let her age at room temps. Most kegs won't seal well unless there's some head pressure.

That way, from time to time, say once every 2-3 months, you can push some beer out to test for progress. ;)

Thanks all. I definitely keg all my brews via closed transfer into starsan purged kegs. Amazing the difference that makes. I think I like the option to carb teh quad some in the beginning so I can taste carbonated samples along the way. BTW IslandLizard, i just happen to notice we joined HBT on the exact same day 1/9/13. small world

Just fully carb right away. It won't affect maturation in any way and it will ensure that the keg stays properly sealed.

Back