Illegal Mississippi brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSBrewer76

Reaction score
Been home brewing here (illegally - give me a break) in Mississippi for about 2 years now. Lurking around here on HBT for a while, trying to learn what I can from wherever I can. All grain brewer since April of this year. Made some pretty dang good beer from liquid extract in a 5 gallon pot until I switched to AG. If I do say so myself.

Austin Home Brew Supply's Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone recipe is really, really good....I made several batches of with extract of that, also AHS's Stormcastle Brown is great. I have good well water here on my place, I am sure that helps. No chemicals in my water that I know of.

We got our legal alcohol level in beer raised this year so maybe homebrewing will be legalized next year. Not that I am waiting around for it.

Thanks for all the knowledge here.

Wow! I didn't know there were still States where homebrewing was illegal! Totally legal here in PA!

Wow. Even here in Minnesotax, where EVERYTHING is regulated, we can brew our own beer.

Wow. Even here in Minnesotax, where EVERYTHING is regulated, we can brew our own beer.

But Minnesotans aren't mostly WASPs believing alcohol is EVIL!!! They're only under the delusion that government is good... silly statist! :D

What!! Moderators please delete these members!! They are performing an illegal activity in their state which is against forum rules!!

Just kidding!! Welcome Aboard!!

Thanks for the welcome guys. I have been out of pocket (at work) for a couple of weeks, just got home Thursday.

Not exactly brewing in the shadows. While it is not specifically allowed by the law, homebrewing is not something the law is very interested in prosecuting. The Attorney General's office made a statement not too long ago to this effect. I look for the law to be amended in the next year or so making it legal, mostly due to the efforts of Raise Your Pints, which is a grassroots political effort to accomplish this. They succeeded in getting the legal ABW limit raised from 5% to 8% this year, which was a major battle with the Southern Baptist element here.

An odd quirk (one of many) in our law here is that winemaking at home has been legal for many many years, but not homebrewing.

Again, thanks for all the knowledge here, and for the welcome.

Back