I found this on Amazon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
https://www.amazon.com/Thermoelectr...ocphy=9031933&hvtargid=pla-491945788733&psc=1
I am wondering how I can wire it up to a plug so I can plug it into my Inkbird temp controller and cool my closet a bit more? Can I just cut the end of an extension cord and run hot to hot and neutral to neutral? Do they make a plug I can wire this up to? It is small and will fit the area I think, so I would love to add it to my arsenal of stuff LOL.

https://www.amazon.com/Thermoelectr...ocphy=9031933&hvtargid=pla-491945788733&psc=1
I am wondering how I can wire it up to a plug so I can plug it into my Inkbird temp controller and cool my closet a bit more? Can I just cut the end of an extension cord and run hot to hot and neutral to neutral? Do they make a plug I can wire this up to? It is small and will fit the area I think, so I would love to add it to my arsenal of stuff LOL.
Aieee!

Put down the extension cord.

You need a 12 V DC power supply (a "wall wart"), one that can put out 5 amps. Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Supply-Trans...x=12+vdc+power+supply,garden,118&sr=1-18&th=1(there are many others; this one I chose at random. It does come with screw terminals you can stick the wires into, though.)

Also, this is going to create a fair amount of hot air which you will need to exhaust out of your closet if anything is going to work.

Also, this is going to create a fair amount of hot air which you will need to exhaust out of your closet if anything is going to work.
Exactly! Peltier are semiconductor elements that get cold on one side and hot on the other, less than a 1/8" apart. You need to keep those 2 ends separated. Their cooling abilities are not great, while efficiency sucks.

There's a DIY thread around where the guy built a fermentation chiller from several Peltier elements, documenting many of the hoops it takes to jump through to get it to work, and only barely.

'Point of diminishing returns' immediately springs to mind... From the reviews of it, it looks like most folk with similar expectations to yours are disappointed with the results. Given that it's only made for a small space and that it will absolutely require venting of some kind, though more expensive, wouldn't one of those portable air-conditioners be more practical in the long run?

My favorite part is the description.

1684776565940.png

I guess it would be funny to keep a chicken or little dog cool in hot summer within 20 minutes.

I knew it wasn't going to work, but thought I would give you all a good laugh in the morning. The search continues. My next idea is to line the closet with insulation foam, use frozen water bottles and a fan. Swamp cooler if I remember the correct term. I figure the insulation will keep the area colder and not have the ice melt so quickly. It is only for a short period of time as the closet usually drops in the evenings to about 67 to 68. All good, thanks for the input. Rock On!!!!!!!!

line the closet with insulation foam, use frozen water bottles and a fan. Swamp cooler [...]
As @Broken Crow mentioned, install a (portable) AC unit in the closet, or use an AC with an insulated box.
Or probably easier, use a refrigerator or freezer with a temp controller, like most of us do.

As @Broken Crow mentioned, install a (portable) AC unit in the closet, or use an AC with an insulated box.
Or probably easier, use a refrigerator or freezer with a temp controller, like most of us do.
If I had room any and all of those would be very good solutions, but unfortunately I am dealing with a small closet, two buckets and a bunch of other crap int the closet. So, anything other than a small fan is not going work. If I could, I would have a freezer or fridge in the garage to handle all the issues from fermenting to serving, but that is the grounding issue I posted earlier

My next idea is to line the closet with insulation foam, use frozen water bottles and a fan. Swamp cooler if I remember the correct term. I figure the insulation will keep the area colder and not have the ice melt so quickly.
Watch your moisture levels, regarding other stuff stored in that closet.

Let me offer a close alternative.
Use a large beverage cooler (such as an Igloo) that fits 1 or 2 brew buckets (a 120 qt one could fit 2 buckets side by side). Or one or 2 large storage totes with insulation around them.

Fill it/them with cold water so the (full) ferm bucket(s) just don't start to float. Then add a few (1-4) frozen water bottles (or ice packs) to that water jacket to keep ferm temps where you want them. Cover the whole system with a thick (moving) blanket, sleeping bag, or so, to keep the cold in (and the heat out), and reduce evaporation.

By putting that system inside that closet of somewhere else where temps are the lowest, you'd probably only need to replace the ice bottles/packs every 12-24 hours. It's that large water jacket that keeps temps regulated, with the ice bottles providing slow cooling.

I've been using that as an overflow, for years, for when I don't have enough space in my "ferm chamber" (an upright freezer). I use a (spare) bathroom in our lower level, which is underground; temps are cool and a very steady 65-68F, year-round.
An aquarium heater can raise the temps a few degrees when needed.

I like that. I gotta get my closet down about 5 to 10 degrees. It topped out at about 72, which is about top end of the yeast I was using. I like to be in the 63 to 65 area, but 68 is as far as i like to go. The beer in the closet now is just about done fermenting I think as the activity has slowed. So this is just in prep for my next batch in a few weeks. I am looking for a smaller cooling fan that I can maybe put a frozen soda bottle in front of to cool things off just a bit.

I use a repurposed wine fridge that uses peltier cooling. If you switch polarity of which these run you can both heat and cool in the same fridge. It can be hooked up easy to do it auto but I’m usually either heating or cooling so I just use a toggle. My wife commandeered it for hard seltzer making which we hold at 90 in that fridge with zero issues.

Aieee!

Put down the extension cord.

You need a 12 V DC power supply (a "wall wart"),
As a youngin' in my "how I survived I'll never know" learning-through-diving-in-head-first-with-just-enough-knowledge-to-be-dangerous phase, I had an old door bell ringer (brrrrrrrrrrring-type, not "ding-dong") to experiment with. I "knew" that since it was once wired into house electricity (and not knowing about transformers), I though surely I can just jam these two wires into the outlet to make it ring.

There was a "phooom!" and a puff of smoke. Luckily I wasn't shocked, but that ringer was dead. (HA! "dead ringer!)

So, yeah.... don't go randomly adding an ac plug to something without understanding it's power requirements.

Watch your moisture levels, regarding other stuff stored in that closet.

Let me offer a close alternative.
Use a large beverage cooler (such as an Igloo) that fits 1 or 2 brew buckets (a 120 qt one could fit 2 buckets side by side). Or one or 2 large storage totes with insulation around them.

Fill it/them with cold water so the (full) ferm bucket(s) just don't start to float. Then add a few (1-4) frozen water bottles (or ice packs) to that water jacket to keep ferm temps where you want them. Cover the whole system with a thick (moving) blanket, sleeping bag, or so, to keep the cold in (and the heat out), and reduce evaporation.

By putting that system inside that closet of somewhere else where temps are the lowest, you'd probably only need to replace the ice bottles/packs every 12-24 hours. It's that large water jacket that keeps temps regulated, with the ice bottles providing slow cooling.

I've been using that as an overflow, for years, for when I don't have enough space in my "ferm chamber" (an upright freezer). I use a (spare) bathroom in our lower level, which is underground; temps are cool and a very steady 65-68F, year-round.
An aquarium heater can raise the temps a few degrees when needed.
When I first started out, I used a spare bathtub and then a large storage tote, filled with water and frozen bottles. Then a small tray of water, a wet t-shirt and a fan on the fermenter. I moved to a closet with one of those desktop swamp coolers, which worked marginally well and required less maintenance than swapping frozen bottles twice a day. Then an Anvil cooling system and a cooler full of ice water, which worked well except for the constant ice replacement. Now a homemade glycol chiller. Out of all of the processes to make better beer, this one is worth working on until you get something that works for you.

Back