Igloo Kegerator at Walmart - $369

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You got an outstanding deal.

You could read my temperature dial hack to lower the temps, and take your chances there. Yes, the 5 lb. tank will fit easily on the back shelf, with room to spare, while still accommodating a half barrel.

Could you shoot me a link to your temperature dial hack? It's reading between 35-40 degrees right now, I'm afraid once I throw a keg in that temperature is obviously going to rise.

For those that said to get a new regulator is this a decent one? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003WX772G/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

As for a beer tower cooler? How exactly does that work? Sorry for all the noob questions. I just really want to make sure I get this right. I had a friend who never got a Nostalgia Kegerator working well and he wound up wasting about 3 kegs of beer, time and money.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey all. First time poster.

Been looking into getting a kegerator for awhile but the price always stopped me form doing it.

I picked this up for $159 at Home Depot this weekend. Figured it was worth a shot.

Anyone have any hints or tips for this unit? I know keeping the temperature low is key. There's no keg in it now and its running between 35-40 degrees. Temperature always seems to raise when I open it too often to check.

I'll probably mostly be putting a Bud Light 1/2 keg in most of the time. I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right before I go buy a keg and waste a ton of beer.

Will a 5 LB co2 tank fit in with a 1/2 keg?

When u hook it be aware that if Co2 comes shooting out the pressure my be set to high. When I set it up I was getting very frustrated that the regulator was leaking but after 30 mins I realized it was set to a pressure higher than the pressure for the pressure release valve.

For those of you that bought one, did it show up in online inventory at all, or was it just something you had to find by luck of the draw in store?

I'm about 45 min. away from one but I'll be going down to Indianapolis this weekend and hopefully I'll have a few locations to chose from.

For those of you that bought one, did it show up in online inventory at all, or was it just something you had to find by luck of the draw in store?
Of the 7 Home Depot stores near me, none of them showed anything as being in stock online. Only 1 of the Home Depots (The farthest one away) had any of these clearance ones in stock.
:mug:

I went to Home Depot to see if they had one of these today. They didn't. I ended up walking out with a GE 10.6 cu ft chest freezer they had on clearance. Oops lol.

http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-beer/regulators-pid-641.html

I went with the Micromatic Premiummand it has been great for the last 2 years. Micromatics service has been great and they seem to carry quality products. Plus I live in PA so I get my orders next day usually. Trying to decide if I want to add a secondary to mine for the second keg or a Y with dual shutoffs. Most of my kegs are within a 2 psi of each other.

I'm about 45 min. away from one but I'll be going down to Indianapolis this weekend and hopefully I'll have a few locations to chose from.
The website didn't show inventory for me. I called and checked inventory at my local store. They didn't have any but then I asked if they would check the other stores near me and they had some at a store 30 miles away. Worth the trip for me.

Hey all, another long time lurker, but new poster. Managed to snag the last one of these in the northern Detroit metro area, with an extra $20 off for it being the floor sample too. $153 OTD, figured I had to jump on it!

Just a quick question: it has been about 8 years since I last owned a kegerator, so my memory may be fuzzy on this, but are gas lines normally as small as the one that comes with this? I seem to remember them being quite a bit bigger on my last setup. Just trying to get together a list of everything I need to convert this to corny kegs, and I'm not finding much on the size of gas lines that come in other kits.

I replaced the co2 line as well. A guy at work had an issue with a bad co2 line so I did it as a precautionary measure. I replaced the beer line too as they were pretty short(4 ft if I remember correctly, I have 7 ft on mine to slow the pour some). I also bought a 5lb co2 bottle so I never run out. When one goes empty I put in the full tank and go get the empty filled. Nothing worse than not being able to drink because you are out of co2. The closest place to fill my co2 is a fire equipment shop about 25 minutes away, so it's sorta a PITA.

As promised, My Igloo Kegerator Guide. www.tomwaters.net
It's up and running, the links to the different pages work. I have not loaded the pictures yet, that is ongoing this afternoon.
But it's at least usable. Hope it helps
Tom

Thanks for the website. Does anyone else have issues seeing all of the text or is it just me? The left side is cut off

Does anyone else have issues seeing all of the text or is it just me? The left side is cut off

Yes, me too. I had to reduce the page size to about 75% to see all the text. In Chrome that is hold down the CTRL key and hit the - key. It also appears that there are several links that do not work.

Here's a question:

My initial setup was terrible until I read Tom's instructions. Finally got everything good and setup and PSI was staying steady at about 9-10PSI and pouring perfect.

Last night I went to pour a beer and PSI had dropped and I noticed the CO2 tank was empty. If I had a leak even for about a full 24 hours or so how quickly would a 2.5 lb tank become empty? Or do you think theres still a leak somewhere?

Here's a question:
Last night I went to pour a beer and PSI had dropped and I noticed the CO2 tank was empty. If I had a leak even for about a full 24 hours or so how quickly would a 2.5 lb tank become empty? Or do you think theres still a leak somewhere?
Sounds like a leak to me, and 24 hours would do it for even a 5 pound bottle.

Refill with CO2, and spray ALL connections with starsan and check for bubbles. I mean at the tank, the regulator gauges, the check valve, the hose connections, the QDs, the corny posts and poppets corny lid, etc.

Sounds like a leak to me, and 24 hours would do it for even a 5 pound bottle.

Refill with CO2, and spray ALL connections with starsan and check for bubbles. I mean at the tank, the regulator gauges, the check valve, the hose connections, the QDs, the corny posts and poppets corny lid, etc.

any other way to check it without starsan? don't have any right this moment and just refilled the tank.

any other way to check it without starsan? don't have any right this moment and just refilled the tank.

Put some dish soap in water and spray the connections. You will see bubbles if there is a leak.

Regarding the temperature controller hack, has anyone with this latest batch screwed with the temp yet? Mine has a slightly different controller than the pictures early in the thread, with two screws that both seem to have some effect. I am assuming one is probably temp, and the other delay time (i.e., how long it is on/off at a time), but after a couple days I still can't tell for sure. I seem to have the opposite problem as everyone else, mine is nice and cold, at the absolute lowest setting I can only get it to 39-40 or so, and I want it a few degrees warmer, just can't figure a combination that works.

Put some dish soap in water and spray the connections. You will see bubbles if there is a leak.

Regarding the temperature controller hack, has anyone with this latest batch screwed with the temp yet? Mine has a slightly different controller than the pictures early in the thread, with two screws that both seem to have some effect. I am assuming one is probably temp, and the other delay time (i.e., how long it is on/off at a time), but after a couple days I still can't tell for sure. I seem to have the opposite problem as everyone else, mine is nice and cold, at the absolute lowest setting I can only get it to 39-40 or so, and I want it a few degrees warmer, just can't figure a combination that works.

believe it or not i've had no temp issues. the only thing i find a little weird is that depending on where i place my thermometer the temp is different. if i place it at the bottom it shows about 25 degrees, on top of keg, 38-40.

i'm assuming its actually somewhere in between that 25 and 40. ha.

believe it or not i've had no temp issues. the only thing i find a little weird is that depending on where i place my thermometer the temp is different. if i place it at the bottom it shows about 25 degrees, on top of keg, 38-40.

i'm assuming its actually somewhere in between that 25 and 40. ha.

Oh, I should reword my statement. The warmest I can get it is about 40, I am trying to make the fridge a bit warmer. I drink a lot of my beers at room temperature, and the ones I keep in the fridge, I generally let warm a bit before consuming. I'd like to get the fridge into the low-mid 40's on a medium knob setting. As I am trying to go warmer, I haven't bothered to move the temp probe, I want it in the coldest spot.

If I were keeping kegs of Labatt around, it'd be perfect, but that isn't my intended usage!

My son picked one up for me at his local home depot last night....on clearance plus clearance again...in the box and out the door for $105.23 cant wait to get it and set it up.

this thread will really help with the mods...thanks all!!

Thanks for the website. Does anyone else have issues seeing all of the text or is it just me? The left side is cut off

Doesn't work on my phone's browser either! I really want to read it, but I'll need to wait until I get home from work! :(
Well, guess I should be working rather than reading about beer anyways...

The price on these at HD dropped to $100. If you bought one in the last 30 days take your receipt and ask for a price adjustment. They may not be happy about it, but they should do it. Manager may try to weasel out of it by saying they don't have to match if there is not stock left, but that is a b.s. excuse. I got it with the extra 20% off, but I believe that is over now so I got it for $80.
I haven't had a chance to set mine up yet. I want to use the casters, but on of them had no thread on the stem, so can't install it. Customer service is an off-shore call center. Was told to send an email with pics of issue, copy of receipt, etc and someone would REPLY to me in 8-12 business days...great. Guess that will give me time to grab parts and do all the mods. May just go ahead and convert to dual tap.
Good luck with the price adjust.

if i place it at the bottom it shows about 25 degrees, on top of keg, 38-40.

That's a big problem with radiant cooling kegerators. You should consider installing a small fan to circulate the air and create more of a balance throughout the fridge.

Confirmation of the above. Home Depot in Bed-Stuy has five left at $100.02.

This is my first kegerator and I just bought my first batch of kegs. I was able to fit 3 ball locks in the fridge. Anybody else have any luck making a 3 tap kegerator for ball locks?

Thanks for the heads up on the price adjustment maruishirx4. I thought $153 was a good deal but $100 is way better.
They didn't even bat an eye when I asked for the price adjustment either.
budzos

You guys got lucky. I called to ask if they would adjust the price on mine before I drove to the store and they said no. Oh well I'm not too bummed but don't think it's worth my trouble to argue with customer service.

Regarding the price match to the new lower price of $100, I called the store I purchased it from, which is far away, as well as my local store asking them both about price matching to a new lower price. They both said that they only price match for 7 days, so I was out of luck. I've never heard that, but both stores, 200 miles apart from each other, said the same thing. It's pretty ridiculous, because I asked, "Can't I just return it then, and buy it back at the new price?" and they said yes, but I'd have to bring the item back down to the store to do that. What a waste. Thankfully I haven't set mine up yet. I'm trying to chat with HD.com to see if I can get some official policy on this, or just have them do it for me. Wonder if it's just better to call one of the stores that you guys had success at and see if they'll do it over the phone for me.

Regarding the price match to the new lower price of $100, I called the store I purchased it from, which is far away, as well as my local store asking them both about price matching to a new lower price. They both said that they only price match for 7 days, so I was out of luck. I've never heard that, but both stores, 200 miles apart from each other, said the same thing. It's pretty ridiculous, because I asked, "Can't I just return it then, and buy it back at the new price?" and they said yes, but I'd have to bring the item back down to the store to do that. What a waste. Thankfully I haven't set mine up yet. I'm trying to chat with HD.com to see if I can get some official policy on this, or just have them do it for me. Wonder if it's just better to call one of the stores that you guys had success at and see if they'll do it over the phone for me.

I guess i techniquelly didn't get a price match. They just took my reciept and returned it then resold it to me at the lower price.. I didnt need to bring it in

Yeah, I had to "return and rebuy" too. The manager was super reluctant to do it, even told me they only price-matched for 72 hours when I walked in even though they had told me 2 weeks over the phone. He begrudgingly complied when I pressed the issue, though. He looked pretty pissed, as if he was paying me the $60 out of his pocket. So glad I went in though, now I'll always be able to look at this thing and think, wow, I got this for $100.

Download-File

I have owned this kegerator for over 2 years and have been wanting to install a dual tap tower for over a year, but I didn't have the kahunas to drill into the top of the fridge. Well I finally said screw it and ordered the 2 tap stainless tower with 630 perlicks from beverage factory and installed it today. Everything went fine and no lines were touched. I centered the tower over the existing hole, drilled the 4 holes, installed the tower using the supplied stainless hardware. It is solid and looks great. i am thrilled to be able to have two brews on tap. I should have done this a year or 2 ago.

Download-File

I have owned this kegerator for over 2 years and have been wanting to install a dual tap tower for over a year, but I didn't have the kahunas to drill into the top of the fridge. Well I finally said screw it and ordered the 2 tap stainless tower with 630 perlicks from beverage factory and installed it today. Everything went fine and no lines were touched. I centered the tower over the existing hole, drilled the 4 holes, installed the tower using the supplied stainless hardware. It is solid and looks great. i am thrilled to be able to have two brews on tap. I should have done this a year or 2 ago.

Looks good. I just bought a new tower with perlicks from beverage factory. Glad to hear the install was pretty straight forward.

Looks good, I'll be working,on my same setup this week. Do you have any tips or things that came up?

Latest posts

Back