If you LOVE your job...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man I love message boards.

No matter the subject, folks always seem to find something to argue about.

Fuk you... no fuk you... NO fuk you... NO FUK YOU.... etc.. etc... etc...

For you welders out yonder! I started welding when I was about 12, quit when I was 38, moved to current job as pharmacy owner. Wife wanted to buy a independent. I had my own welding business for about 14 years, I did what they call junk iron welding. Farm and ranch , entry ways, fences and then I got into doing metal buildings- good money. I've dabbled in most all the different welding. I welded with one of the first migs when they came out, what a piece of crap! Technology has come a long way. I definitely got burned out, but always loved the trade. Billy my rig was a old sa200 Lincoln!

Ohhhh....now I see Billy, the stinkin' Linkin' for a SCHTICK welder....lol ... no but seriously, there's nothing finer than a pipeliner! I worked a job back east in the PA NJ NY tri state. I never had much use for stick welding, but boy you guys that can do it in some of the most ridiculous places and positions is like F'ng magic. Like a 6" pipe off the floor about 2" and 2" away from a concrete call...the way the stick can be bent around the pipe and make a sound weld! I can do some real TRICK **** with wire, but nothing like that! Hats off...

Still sounds like you guys are pissing at each other. My TFE-731-2-2B produces 3500 lbs thrust.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Home Brew mobile app

9e7ef871.jpg

Independent oil and gas producer. It's a ****ty job some days but im my own boss so that rules!

You know what they say, "Pumpin ain't easy". I don't do much hands on stuff anymore, but I work on the regulatory side of things. I really do enjoy my job, almost 10 years in the oilfields now.

I posted some a while back, but took this pic the other morning and it seemed interesting (to me at least). Damn it's cold.

I did railroad construction for several years. Loved it!
But I'll never go back to it. Winters and Summers suck!

pb

Ohhhh....now I see Billy, the stinkin' Linkin' for a SCHTICK welder....lol ... no but seriously, there's nothing finer than a pipeliner! I worked a job back east in the PA NJ NY tri state. I never had much use for stick welding, but boy you guys that can do it in some of the most ridiculous places and positions is like F'ng magic. Like a 6" pipe off the floor about 2" and 2" away from a concrete call...the way the stick can be bent around the pipe and make a sound weld! I can do some real TRICK **** with wire, but nothing like that! Hats off...

welding is like beer: there's many styles to choose from and eventually any of them will eff you up. hahaha!!

when your inner nerd interferes with your job.

pic061908_1.jpg

I love this thread, as it demonstrates quite admirably that brewers come from all walks of life. Beer brings the world together :)

I also have a love-hate relationship with my job. I'm a pediatric respiratory therapist in a Children's Hospital. My job can be low-stress (Giving asthmatics or Cystic Fibrosis patients breathing treatments) and high-stress (Intubating patients, managing ventilators, coding infants). I love it when we make a difference, and a child goes home safe and sound. But unfortunately sometimes I go home and need more than my usual bed-time pint...

These pictures are obviously not from my hospital, as that would violate HIPAA, but these are the kinds of patients I take care of.

RT002.jpg

RT001.jpg

I love this thread, as it demonstrates quite admirably that brewers come from all walks of life. Beer brings the world together :)

I also have a love-hate relationship with my job. I'm a pediatric respiratory therapist in a Children's Hospital. My job can be low-stress (Giving asthmatics or Cystic Fibrosis patients breathing treatments) and high-stress (Intubating patients, managing ventilators, coding infants). I love it when we make a difference, and a child goes home safe and sound. But unfortunately sometimes I go home and need more than my usual bed-time pint...

These pictures are obviously not from my hospital, as that would violate HIPAA, but these are the kinds of patients I take care of.

That must be intense! I date a Nurse that works at Bone Marrow transplant and it put things in perspective. A bad day for me is the client didnt approve one of my designs...a bad day for her is one of her patients die, no better way to get me to shut up.

My Aunt and cousin do some kind of blood work at a hospital...and I've been rushed into emergency rooms my self a few times, I can really say thanks for all who are in the business of healing! Thanks.

My Aunt and cousin do some kind of blood work at a hospital...and I've been rushed into emergency rooms my self a few times, I can really say thanks for all who are in the business of healing! Thanks.

no joke! especially those that work on little ones! y'all help us parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, and family friends sleep a little bit better at night. whether most of us know that or not.

Finally got inside and out of the PacNW rain to build some designs.

BTW I rocked a Ranger 6 for a good couple years and she never failed me, still spittin wire with my lincoln mig and absolutely love it, had an old miller and it was a beast, had to switch from generator to welder though so the Ranger it was.1394335535381.jpg

Attachments

• 1394335566799.jpg
    1394335566799.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 283
Finally got inside and out of the PacNW rain to build some designs.

I know all about that PNW weather ...I lived in a rain forest just north of Downtown Seattle in a tent for damn near a year, I've banged nails on the "Street of Dreams" and cedar sided half of Queen Anne and parts around Lake Washington and Whidbey.

Can't say I miss it.

I'm a CNC Machinist. I love my job. Being able to create damn near anything from just a solid hunk of steel is damn satisfying. Plus, in the spare time... oh, I need a special bracket for my Mustang? MACHINED! Oh, you'd like some super fancy engraved plates to print your wedding invitation? MACHINED!

And anyone who hasn't seen a 5-axis machine doing it's duty is missing out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnIvhlKT7SY

I used to run 2 ACME-Gridley screw machines. Didn't ever get a chance to run/setup a cnc though. :(

I know all about that PNW weather ...I lived in a rain forest just north of Downtown Seattle in a tent for damn near a year, I've banged nails on the "Street of Dreams" and cedar sided half of Queen Anne and parts around Lake Washington and Whidbey.

Can't say I miss it.

haha small world it is! I've been banging nails and building bridges on Queen Anne for the past 9 months! Almost managed ebey's landing NHR on Whidbey but we didn't click. Sorry you don't miss it though, after the NE and the DEEP SE, I love this place!

Keep on keeping on, glad this thread keeps going!, so many different paths in life and yet here we are....

9e7ef871.jpg

Independent oil and gas producer. It's a ****ty job some days but im my own boss so that rules!

:off:Hows that Taco holding out? My 05 dbl cab trd just blew the diff in some really small stuff in the front yard, other than that though i love it, depending on what the dealer says though............... I would imagine you've been in some sticker stuff..

:off:Hows that Taco holding out? My 05 dbl cab trd just blew the diff in some really small stuff in the front yard, other than that though i love it, depending on what the dealer says though............... I would imagine you've been in some sticker stuff..

I've had my 97 4Runner through all kinds of stuff. Maybe they built them stronger back in the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I love most of my job, but tonight I had to fire a good worker and friend who had an accident and he tested positive for weed. The pot had nothing to do with the accident but in the oilfield it doesn't matter. This is an aspect of my job that truly sucks.

The manager of our Texas division has a Tacoma from pre-2000, I'm not sure exactly how old it is but years ago when he got his company car the Tacoma had 450K oilfield miles on it. In December his nephew borrowed it, drove to New Jersey, loaded it with all his stuff and drove back to Odessa

I love most of my job, but tonight I had to fire a good worker and friend who had an accident and he tested positive for weed. The pot had nothing to do with the accident but in the oilfield it doesn't matter. This is an aspect of my job that truly sucks.

That's the way it goes, have to stay clean to earn those big time walrus pelts! That being said, I'm sure it was super tough, and man that sucks.

The company I work for doesn't keep vehicles very long at all, 100-130k tops. The oilfields are just plain ROUGH on a vehicle.

What all do you do?

That's the way it goes, have to stay clean to earn those big time walrus pelts! That being said, I'm sure it was super tough, and man that sucks.

The company I work for doesn't keep vehicles very long at all, 100-130k tops. The oilfields are just plain ROUGH on a vehicle.

What all do you do?
Mudlogging, geological consulting and we manufacture gas chromatographs for the mudlogging industry.
Our insurance provider and some of our clients audit us on a regular basis for drug testing so it has to be done.
What do y'all do?

Mudlogging, geological consulting and we manufacture gas chromatographs for the mudlogging industry.
Our insurance provider nad some of our clients audit us on a regular basis for drug testing so it has to be done.
What do y'all do?

Sweet, another geologist! I do geotechnical engineering and engineering geology in California. Used to be a private consultant, now I work for the State on levees. Geology and beer just seem to go together.

I do love my job. ROV (Remotely Operated Vehicle) Pilot/Supervisor. Month on, month off. Cant drink for a month, but it helps you leave brews alone for a long period of time and let em do there thing. I attribute most of my success, and failure, to this. It can work against you sometimes. I try and get a beer fully fermented, kegged and carbed within the 4 weeks I'm home. You'd actually be suprized at how many come out great in that short of time. But some.... yea, not so much.

20131002080429031@DUAL-DVR_Ch1.jpg

DSC00048.jpg

_DSC0858.jpg

Sweet, another geologist! I do geotechnical engineering and engineering geology in California. Used to be a private consultant, now I work for the State on levees. Geology and beer just seem to go together.

I have a couple of geologists from Ventura coming this week to apply for jobs. We're smoking, apparently y'all are not.
Every homebrewer I have ever met is a geologist with a few engineering exceptions. Rock(music and material)and beer go together so well.

Sounds like the perfect barleywine scenario. That is really cool, I dont know what Im looking at but Im always suprised/impressed by what people do in this world! I often contemplate becoming certified in underwater archaeology but I just can't figure out the practicality.

here is the beginnings of an oxidizer for Kingsford ...I guess they'l make charcoal in it. OAL will be 54+ feet and about 10 across... the entire project will have about 3000 lbs of weld alone!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

here is the beginnings of an oxidizer for Kingsford ...I guess they'l make charcoal in it. OAL will be 54+ feet and about 10 across... the entire project will have about 3000 lbs of weld alone!

Please get a taller ladder before you kill yourself.

P.S. I really admire a quality weld. I suck at welding, but I never get a chance to weld either.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back