If you LOVE your job...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I work in a hot dog stand factory. Yes, we build hot dog stands, well, trailers that you would see at the state fair, not just hot dog trailers. We also build mobile stages, and big specialty semi type trailers. I run a press brake, so I mainly just stand in front of a huge puke green machine all day. I don't love it, but I could do worse. I'm not freezing my ass off in the winter, or melting in the blazing sun in the summer, the money is good, and we shut down at Christmas time every year for two weeks. I'm not allowed to take photos in the shop.

I'm hoping to be able to quit in a 3 or 4 years and start making custom holsters and sheaths full time, just no time to do things I want to do now.

I'm a Railway Carman, (Freight Car Mechanic). The guy that fixes all the things behind the Locomotives and some of the things on the Locomotive. I Re-Rail things that have been de-railed. Cut, Weld, Fix, Make, Maintain and Service All things Railcar.
1. Talking on the phone. (Yep its F'd)(2008), 2. First Day on the Road Truck (2007), 3. Same as above, 4. SELFIES!!! (on the right)2014

Putnam Derailment. Aug 21 08.jpg

IMG00030.jpg

IMG00032.jpg

Chris N Ryan.jpg

I dont love my job, used to hate it, but has since gotten better due to decreased management. Im a CT Technologist now, but used to be a union laborer. It was really my first real job(started at 17 still in high school) and hated it for the first few years. One of my best friends, whom I met because he worked with me, and myself miss it to this day. He is now a freight broker @ a fortune 500 Co here in the city.

We make good money today, but its the actual work we miss. We talk about it time to time. The absence of political bull****. I miss pouring 100 yds of mud or doing some grade work or busting rod. It was hard work but honestly that was the job I loved. The only reason I dont go back is bc Im greedy with the paycheck I make now, and I only work 3 days a week.

I'm a Control room operator at a power plant. Started off as a mechanic then became an electrician then I moved into operations. I couldn't imagine any other job I'd enjoy more, we'll besides owning my own brewery..

And apparently I can spin the world upside down.

I'm a Control room operator at a power plant. Started off as a mechanic then became an electrician then I moved into operations. I couldn't imagine any other job I'd enjoy more, we'll besides owning my own brewery..

I'm an operator at a chemical plant. We work 12 hour swing, and I love it. Some people say they couldn't handle it, but I like it.

I'm an operator at a chemical plant. We work 12 hour swing, and I love it. Some people say they couldn't handle it, but I like it.

We work a 4 on 5 off 5 on 4 off 12 hour schedule. I love it! A couple months ago I stepped in as the temporary head trainer, so I went to mon-friday 7a-3p. I hated it! I have become acclimated to the long stretches of days off. It affords me time for my hobbies!

I also work at a chemical plant and do swing shifts. I didn't think I would like it at first but I do. The way ours works out is its the same schedule every 4 weeks. We work 14 days and get 14 days off. 7 of those are in a row. Thats the week I get in a couple brew sessions and bottle my previous batches. I think its a sweet schedule.

I also work at a chemical plant and do swing shifts. I didn't think I would like it at first but I do. The way ours works out is its the same schedule every 4 weeks. We work 14 days and get 14 days off. 7 of those are in a row. Thats the week I get in a couple brew sessions and bottle my previous batches. I think its a sweet schedule.

Mine is a rolling 4 week schedule too. I work 6-6. 4 days, 6 off, 4 nights, 4 off, 3 days, 3 nights, 4 off.

I love my job. I work for a University in their High Voltage Lab, the largest owned my a University in the USA.

We do testing and verification for industry. Occasionally we have some research projects. I work with 1 million VAC and 3 Million VDC impulse.

Mine is a rolling 4 week schedule too. I work 6-6. 4 days, 6 off, 4 nights, 4 off, 3 days, 3 nights, 4 off.

6:30-6:30 for us. Coming back from the 7 day break we work 4 nights, 3 off, 3 days, 1 off, 3 nights, 3 off, 4 days, 7 off. Monday I'll start my 4 days then I get the 7 off. I'm looking forward to it. I didnt brew last time as I didnt have time during the holidays. I have an empty fermentation chamber and thats unacceptable!

I love my job. I work for a University in their High Voltage Lab, the largest owned my a University in the USA.

We do testing and verification for industry. Occasionally we have some research projects. I work with 1 million VAC and 3 Million VDC impulse.

That's cool. When I sold electrical supplies I went on a tour/training trip to Allen-Bradley in Milwaukee. They have the only privately owned UL listed lab, or at least they did at the time. They would test high amperage fuses to make sure the trip curve was correct. I didn't get to see it in action, but I saw the scars on the bullet proof glass in front of the control room. Crazy stuff.

The school I work for recently added a broadcasting curriculum. We have also secured partnerships with the Arizona Diamondbacks, The Phoenix Suns and NASCAR. On top of that, our entire broadcast curriculum was written by a guy who mixes the Super Bowl. Super awesome guy by the name of Fred Aldous.

We go out to these events and show our students how to set up the audio side of the broadcast world. Then they get a real world scenario (where they can't mess anything up) and they get to mix the event.

D-Backs.jpg

NASCAR Satellite.jpg

Can't complain about my job. My wife allowed me to take an early retirement. ok, real early, and now I watch my my granddaughter and come June her little brother. Grand Daddy Daycare only one boss and she's 3. Before that IT Manager for State of Mass, talk about sucking......

D'oh!!!

homer.jpg

My Dad worked for the Naval Surface Warfare Center in MD, he was a chemical engineer specializing in explosives (we had great 4th's.) But he dabbled i other "mad scientist" **** at home (with stuff procured from gov't "waste")

He made a lightning machine in the garage. I'm not sure how much power it used but he had capacitors that must have weighed 200lbs, and transformers like the ones on power poles. It would make a FAT spark jump a 6' gap. Sounded like a damn cannon goin off!

Can't complain about my job. My wife allowed me to take an early retirement. ok, real early, and now I watch my my granddaughter and come June her little brother. Grand Daddy Daycare only one boss and she's 3. Before that IT Manager for State of Mass, talk about sucking......

I'm an IT manager... My wife says I can take an early out. How young were you when you had enough? I'm 48 and need an encore career when I decide to leave.

My Dad worked for the Naval Surface Warfare Center in MD, he was a chemical engineer specializing in explosives (we had great 4th's.) But he dabbled i other "mad scientist" **** at home (with stuff procured from gov't "waste")

He made a lightning machine in the garage. I'm not sure how much power it used but he had capacitors that must have weighed 200lbs, and transformers like the ones on power poles. It would make a FAT spark jump a 6' gap. Sounded like a damn cannon goin off!

Was it a teslacoil by chance? I had a friend in high school that made one. Super smart kid (ended up at MIT, go figure). My son wants to make one someday.

I'm an IT manager... My wife says I can take an early out. How young were you when you had enough? I'm 48 and need an encore career when I decide to leave.

Think it was 53, IT was my encore career. Originally I owned a Marketing and Commercial Printing Company. Fortunately I got a pension and health insurance with the early out. When I had enough actually was about 5 years before I left. My wife only let me leave so I could take care of my granddaughter and soon a grandson. All I can say is I'm much to young to feel this damn old.

I work in Facility management,in a building in australia,we are responsible for the maintence services and upkeep of the building's air conditioning control/gas/water/electricial services.building in 364 days of the year,when i joined there ago 25 years i was just a trades assistant..we get to see the performances in the venue's,and meet the people involved in the show's.previous to that playing with big boy trains

Think it was 53, IT was my encore career. Originally I owned a Marketing and Commercial Printing Company. Fortunately I got a pension and health insurance with the early out. When I had enough actually was about 5 years before I left. My wife only let me leave so I could take care of my granddaughter and soon a grandson. All I can say is I'm much to young to feel this damn old.

Funny, we have similar paths! I've been in the printing business for over 20 years, lead me to IT management. My time was spent managing internal print organizations (in-plant) and outsourced operations when I was at a company that starts with X.

In my old age, I've quit the management jobs in the mega-corporations and went back into doing what I really love: hacking.

I'm working in a small company now coding python - django for telecom business support systems (BSS). The PyCharm integrated development environment is my tool of choice.

This screenshot is not mine, as I don't want to provide details of my project, rather one I found from the company that produces PyCharm. It looks pretty similar to my own environment, though - I even run it on my MacBook Air ;-)

pycharm_ui_darcula.png

how long should I see bubbles in my airlock?

That gotta b a barley wine or ris with that blowoff. Good to see the bigger boys still use the tube in a bucket ploy. I can't imagine the amount of yeast pitched into that monster to cause that blowoff.

I'm a ff/paramedic and work for one of the busiest depts in my state and while stressful and exhausting there is nothing else I would do. Plus it gives me the days off to spend with my two very young kids and brew. I would love to open a brewery someday though something small would do well.

I do environmental work for a tribe. I love it.

*Image removed per request - Mod

Back