If you could start over...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok... I am a Newbie... and this is my very first thread.

My buddy and I are going to invest in equipment to make our first batch of beer. We talk about beer so often... Heck lets make some.... if anything to create more conversation. :mug:

Anyway.. We have looked everywhere and noticed that their is a lot of different types of equipment available. Buckets, PVS, Glass carboys, conicals, turkey friers, auto siphons. So.. If you could start over... What would you get as an initial investment. Both of us are thinking of investing $100 each in equipment and our first brew.

We both have a deep afinity to Bavarian beers. Trappist ales and Celebrator in particular. Also big fans of New belgium in CO.

Can you recomend a good dark (not stout) beer to begin with?

Help us start on the right foot. Give us your thoughts.

I would roll something like these:

Starter Kit
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=6874
^but the upgraded version with the better bottle, here:
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=7255

or...the Intermediate Kit if you think you are going to dive full on in
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=6875

Throw in a recipe kit of your choice, grab a kettle from the wally mart and you are well on your way!

Most all LHBS have similar start kit packages. If I were starting it all over from the get go, I would go with the full extract kits with steeping grains, bypassing the caned kits all together that I started with.

What kinda dark beer are you looking for, porter?

Bigger kettle that can handle 10 gallon batches would be my first recommendation. Also, I realized that kegging is as much work as bottling so I wouldn't have wasted money on cornies (I already had a kegerator).

I would have bought better bottles as fermenters rather than glass carboys. Now I have 4 bb's and 4 glass carboys.

BassBurner said:
Also, I realized that kegging is as much work as bottling so I wouldn't have wasted money on cornies (I already had a kegerator).

WHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTT???????????

How so? Kegging is WAY easier than bottling. And less messy. And you don't end up with under-carbonated bottles, over-carbonated bottles, half-bottles, infected bottles and the like. It's one thing to clean, opposed to 45.

I'm fairly new at this myself. I havn't anything I not really using.
I would go with a good starter kit that included a 6.5gal fermentation bucket, a 5 gal carboy (preferably better bottle), a bottling bucket, and auto siphon along with the other misc. parts.
Then add a turkey fryer and immersion chiller.
This might total a little over $200. If you want to do a couple batches before doing a bigger investment then just get a 20qt canner and work on the stove until you decide to upgrade.
As for a good starter beer, get an extract + grain kit of your favorite beer style. Midwest, Brewers best and Austin Homebrew among other make good kits. I'd avoid the canned kits also.
When I started I picked up two kits to do a weeks or two apart so I could start to build up my stash. If you have two drinkers using up the batches you may want to get another fermenter so you can brew most weeks to build up a good supply.
Craig

BassBurner said:
Bigger kettle that can handle 10 gallon batches would be my first recommendation. Also, I realized that kegging is as much work as bottling so I wouldn't have wasted money on cornies (I already had a kegerator).
Please explain the kegging comment. My long term plans had included a kegging setup but if its not going to be any time savings then I won't spend the considerable investment required.

Craig

I agree with brewt00l's suggestion.

Nothing you invest in will go obsolete or be thrown aside. You'll simply add to your equipment.

Keep within your budget and get the essentials to get your first brew in a fermenter. Make sure you like the hobby first (you will of course).

If you ordered a basic equipment kit and a recipe kit today, you could be brewing this weekend (depending on your location).

A 10-gallon setup is great, but again....budget.

If I had it to do all over again:

An upgrade equipment kit from Midwest
A turkey fryer so I can do full boils
Immersion (do it yourself) wort chiller (necessary for a full boil setup)
A clone recipe kit from Midwest

CBBaron said:
Please explain the kegging comment. My long term plans had included a kegging setup but if its not going to be any time savings then I won't spend the considerable investment required.

Craig
Ain't no way that kegging is as much work as bottling. Can you imagine me bottling this 25 gallons of beer. This is in addtion to the 25 gallons I have on chill.
Filled_Kegs.JPG

brewt00l said:
I would roll something like these:

Starter Kit
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=6874
^but the upgraded version with the better bottle, here:
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=7255

or...the Intermediate Kit if you think you are going to dive full on in
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=6875

Throw in a recipe kit of your choice, grab a kettle from the wally mart and you are well on your way!

i ordered this exact kit from MW on Monday afternoon (will be here tomorrow), as well as their Black Dog Pale Ale (amber) recipe. I already had the turkey fryer, so that just leaves me emptying bottles for the next three weeks (oh what a problem to have!! :) )

DML said:
i ordered this exact kit from MW on Monday afternoon (will be here tomorrow), as well as their Black Dog Pale Ale (amber) recipe. I already had the turkey fryer, so that just leaves me emptying bottles for the next three weeks (oh what a problem to have!! :) )
You'll need a wort chiller if you're doing a full boil.

Cheesefood said:
WHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTT???????????

How so? Kegging is WAY easier than bottling. And less messy. And you don't end up with under-carbonated bottles, over-carbonated bottles, half-bottles, infected bottles and the like. It's one thing to clean, opposed to 45.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Here's my explanation from a previous thread.

One of these days I have to right an nice diatribe/editorial about it.

Thanks for all the comments people.. keep them comming.

I'll let you know about my first kit.

Oh yeah and we Love... dupple boch's.

That is our ideal brew.

Let me know what you think of that kit. I have been trying to decide between that one and the one from Austin Home Brew. AHB offered a free upgrade to a better bottle, so I think I am going to go with them.

I haven't been brewing all that long, but one thing I would change is I would have gotten a bigger pot. I have a 5 gallon pot now, and I want to do full boils, so not only do I need to get a chiller, I also need bigger pot. Get a bigger pot than you think you need. I would have bought at least a 30 quart, but probably 40 or more.

With 2 of you brewing together, you can afford to a little better than if you were going it alone. Get the best equipment you can afford. If you get a good SS pot, it will outlast you, and one of you 2 can pass it on if you upgrade later.

Kegging:
Do not buy any faucet other than a forward seal (Perlick or Shirron).
Do not buy barbed corny connecters, get the MFL.
Do not buy worm gear hose clamps.
Do not get into kegging if you think 1 keg is enough. Plan on a minumum of 3 kegs and 2 taps. Plan on being envious of others that have more if you settled for the minimum.

Get the largest pot you can afford.

Plan on brewing outside of your kitchen and off your stove. Do not build a strategy around the stovetop unless you plan on permanently living in an apartment or condo.

Decide now: Plastic bucket, Better bottle or Glass.

If you do find that your equipment is obsolete, find a new brewer to give it a home and get someone into this great hobby. Selling it will only get you a few $, but giving it away can get you a brewing partner for life.

BassBurner said:

BassBurner said:
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Here's my explanation from a previous thread.

One of these days I have to right an nice diatribe/editorial about it.

Again, I give you exhibit A: 5 cornies in the chiller/on tap, 5 cornies in storage (see below). That's ten cornies and I get every bit of a 5-gallon batch from each. That's about 54 bottles each x 10 cornies = 540 bottles.

Filled_Kegs.JPG

That's 22.5 cases of bottles to clean, fill, open, rinse, reclean and sanitize.

540 containers VS my 10 containers.

I also enjoy taking along bottles to events. I simply fill a 6 or 12-pack from my keg and out the door I go. Plus, we can drink all of the beer in those bottles....no yeast sediment.

As far as taste? No comparison to a freshly drawn draft of beer. What's the first question out of my mouth at a pub? What do you have on tap?

"Can you recomend a good dark (not stout) beer to begin with?"

Why not go straight to the point? AHB has many nice kits that would suit your tastes. I'm known as a big fan of dried yeasts, but for a Bock, get the liquid yeast. AHS Bavarian Dopplebock [01877] is a bit pricey after adding the German Bock yeast, ice pack and yeast fuel, but it's a perfect match.

david_42 said:
"AHB has many nice kits that would suit your tastes. I'm known as a big fan of dried yeasts, but for a Bock, get the liquid yeast. AHS Bavarian Dopplebock [01877] is a bit pricey after adding the German Bock yeast, ice pack and yeast fuel, but it's a perfect match.

What is with the 1% alcahol boost option? how does that work.. What is it?

Back