if yesterday was America's official birthday...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bottleopener

Reaction score
...is today America's official hangover day?

It's a tough call... January 1st has a strong case for being national hangover day.

No contest. The 4th is much more a family event. All of the activities I went to yesterday were N/A, including the fireworks. MOST people will drink less, if they have to drive their kids home.

I want what the monarchy passed around the world...Boxing Day! The day after xmas should be a day that we americans also celebrate. I agree with David_42, more family oriented things going on. My lady and I didn't drink until 6pm

It's a different kind of hangover.

NYE you party heartily for maybe 4-5 hours, champagne, hard liquor.

July 4 you're drinking beer aaaalll day long. You don't really get tanked like NYE, but you can certainly not sober either.

I think I put in a 12 hour shift yesterday. Anchor Liberty Ale for the parade in the AM. Shared a couple pitchers of SNPA at the local watering hole. Muchas Pacificos at a party, then finished off the day with a couple Negra Modelos.

Definitely a bit fuzzy today.

Thanks to a lack of a quality education system in the US the ignorant masses have been duped into thinking the 4th of July is our official birthday.

The 4th of July 1776 was the day we DECLARED our independence...NOT the day we got it...that was on Sep 3, 1783...the Treaty of Paris officially ended the Revolutionary War and England recognized the US as an independent country. (You can say you're going to run away from home all you want, but until you go...you're not independent...;)).

Anyone can make all the declarations they want, but the US don't recognize other countries independence until a treaty is signed...why should we be any different?

The 4th of July 1776 was the day we DECLARED our independence...NOT the day we got it...that was on Sep 3, 1783...the Treaty of Paris officially ended the Revolutionary War and England recognized the US as an independent country. (You can say you're going to run away from home all you want, but until you go...you're not independent...;)).

Not my country so I hope I'm not out of line, but when you SAY you're independent and then fight to the death to support the claim, you're independent. The treaty just finally recognized the facts in place. You're free the day you don't accept anything else.

Click on some Drunken Ramblings and get a history lesson. HBT rocks.

Not my country so I hope I'm not out of line, but when you SAY you're independent and then fight to the death to support the claim, you're independent. The treaty just finally recognized the facts in place. You're free the day you don't accept anything else.
No, you're not out of line.

I compare Americans views of their history as mostly distorted because that's the way they teach it in school.

As I said previously, the 4th of July is the day we DECLARED independence not the day we got it.

IMO, the nation was conceived on that day, but not born until 3 Sep 1783. ;)

As I said previously, the 4th of July is the day we DECLARED independence not the day we got it.

See, what I'm saying is that the day you declare it is the day you got it. That's the whole point of a declaration. What others around you thought was sort of irrelevant so their formal recognition is for their sake, not yours.

See, what I'm saying is that the day you declare it is the day you got it. That's the whole point of a declaration. What others around you thought was sort of irrelevant so their formal recognition is for their sake, not yours.

I agree with you on this. Independence, like freedom, isn't a tangible thing that can be awarded to you. the second you say you have it and start acting accordingly, it's yours. there may be some bloodshed in your new found freedom and you may have to die for your ideals but that doesn't mean it isn't yours.

From what I understand, declaring independence and acting as if is equal to a dictatorship. Until a treaty is signed, that country is either no country at all, or a dictatorship.

From what I understand, declaring independence and acting as if is equal to a dictatorship. Until a treaty is signed, that country is either no country at all, or a dictatorship.

perhaps if you don't have the backing of the people that would be true.

In a very real sense, the declaring political entity (legitimate or not) would certainly be independent of its former government. It no longer defers to the mother country's authority for law/policy making, and is therefore independent.

The question we seem stuck upon is whether or not independence requires international recognition/legitimacy. Is independence, itself, dependent upon outside factors?

Drunk hungover posts to political philosophy in 2 pages. Well played, HBT. Well played.

I think the term "America's Birthday" is an over simplification. Frankly it trivialises America, and what she is and what she did for herself in the past......Only America would pull this crap on herself.

Send yourself a Hallmark card, America! :(

Back