If my thanksgiving guests don'e like my pumpkin ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveGerard

Reaction score
They are going to be treated to the whole batch, thru their ears. I did an all extract recipe that I found on BYO, which I then modified slightly by reducing the amount of pumpkin (I only used 1 30 oz can) and by reducing the spices (in this case, only cinammon). As I started to get the brew equipment together, it began pouring down rain, so I brewed the thing on my deck (which is covered). I used some great ingredients too, like honey I got practically straight out of the hive at a harvest festival, and organic cinammon sticks. OG was about 1060, had a very dark orange/red color, and a sip out of the hydrometer sample tasted a lot like honey (which hopefully will settle into the background), and hints of pumpkin and cinammon, and the hops aroma (Styrian Goldings) was real prevalent. I decided that I want this to be an ale first and foremost, and a pumkpin/spice/honey blend a subtle second, if you know what I mean. Oh, and the recipe is on BYO as "Pocahontas Pumkin Pleaser" just type that in the search. I made a split decision to reduce the spices and honey, but this recipe was the framework.

Hell, even a beer snob like me can't choke down half the pumpkin beers I encounter so I'd hardly expect your success rate to be more than 50%. I think spiced beers in general appeal only to a small niche kinda like hazelnut in the coffee circles.

Evan!, I would consider forcible beer-ear bong the only way to go.

Bobby, I'm only kidding, I'm sure some people will like it and some won't, the important thing is that everyone has a fun thanksgiving and drinks something, and I figure I can save this batch for a long time, and bring it out only for special occasions. I can't imagine pounding pumpkin ale like it was Bud or anything. That being said, that's why I made the decision at the last second to cut my spices and pumpkin down by half. I figure more people would enjoy a regular ale that had hints of being a pumpkin ale than they would a true "spiced ale".

Yeah, you know, I bet you could rig something up with a march pump and a siphon tube...just make sure you dunk their head in a bucket of star san first.

I've found that spices fade rather fast, so I tend to use more than what is recommended if I expect to have the batch around very long.

If your thanksgiving guests don't like it, send me a PM. I'll give you my address and you can mail the remnants to me.:D

sounds like a good recipe to me. i don't enjoy too much spiciness and have had quite a few pumpkin beers i didn't like, but a few that were excellent.

hope it's a hit! :mug:

So far the best one I have had is Post Road Pumpkin Ale, made by the Brooklyn Brewery.

I think it will be a hit, if not for the taste, then at least for the novelty.

The idea of a pumpkin ale really intrigues me. but I'm just left with the feeling that its not going to taste like pumpkin pie in a bottle. :) So sadly I've never got up the courage to brew one.

Good luck on your's though.Hope your guest's like it! if not you can always tell them to piss off and go have a bud light!

Back