If a full boil is possible, DO IT!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got this from the Norther Brewer instructions. I thought that I might need more hops but I need less. 15%-25% less. Hmmmmmm. Going to brew their Cream Ale kit this weekend. Can't wait for my 36Qt pot to get here.

From NB Kit instructions:
Adjustments for full-volume boils. If your system is designed for a full-volume boil of 5-6 gallons, make the following adjustments to the procedures in the following steps:

* Step #1 - collect 5.5 to 6 gallons of water in the kettle.
* Step #5 - use 15% to 25% less bittering hops (any hop additions during the first 30 minutes of the boil) than called for in the kit inventory - e.g., use 3/4 to 7/8 oz instead of 1 oz; all other boil additions remain the same
* Step #6 - use a wort chiller to cool the wort
* Step #8 - add only enough water to reach 5 gallons

Do you have to do your steeping grains any differently if doing full vs. partial?

Do you have to do your steeping grains any differently if doing full vs. partial?

This is what it says about Steeping. Looks the same.

3. Steep specialty grains. Pour the crushed specialty grains into the supplied mesh bag, and tie a knot in the bag as close to the opening as possible - this will allow for swelling of the grains. Add the bag full of grain to the water in the kettle and steep like a tea bag as the water continues to heat. Remove the bag and discard after 15 minutes or before the water reaches 170°F. Do not boil the specialty grains!

Here is the link.
General Beer Kit Instructions

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but isn't extract twang an oxidation/staling problem? Meaning, can't you make perfectly good extract brews if you have fresh ingredients? Also, a lot of the "extract" taste I've noticed in beers is from underutilization of the hops, which can be partially fixed if you make sure your partial boil is the same gravity as the desired wort, and then add the rest of the extract at the very end of the boil.

All I'm saying is, a full boil made my life a lot easier, but I didn't notice that it made my beer night and day better.

Kind of dumb question - for guys doing 5-10 gal boils, what do you use to stir? I just realized none of the spoons I have are long enough (doh).. I remember reading somewhere that you don't want to brew with a wooden spoon either, but I have no idea why..

I have been successful stirring the bottom of my 10 gallon ss pot with a Rubber baking spatula attached to a sharpening steel with o clamps. You gotta be ingenuitive. Don't think those cheap white spoons at LHB are going to move the extract off the bottom. Once they heat up they bend. Buy a high quality rubber spatula and attach it to piece of galvanized or copper with o clamps spaced a few inches apart.

I noticed that the directions changed for hop utilization and full boils, but I found it interesting that the steeping of the grains did not. I noticed on another thread, "10 tips for better extract brewing" that you should only use 1 to 3 liters of water per pound of grain when steeping specialty grain. How does this play out with a full boil? Should you steep in a few gallons and then top off to 6 gallons before beginning the boil? Sorry for the noob question, just looking for advice as I am doing my first full boil this weekend.

I think that hops utilization is debateable when doing late extract additions compared to full boils. I use the full amount of hops the recipe calls regardless and IBU's usually still fall within the style guidelines.

When it comes to grains there is only so much you are going to be able to extract from them, so I really don't think that it matters if you use 1 to 3 liters per pound or a full 6 gallons.

I just converted a recipe from AG to PM in brew smith. When I first entered all the ingredients and switched out enough base malt for LME to work for me with the same OG, the IBU's were nearly halved. I had to move the LME to the last 10 minutes to bring them back up where they were in the AG recipe.

I just converted a recipe from AG to PM in brew smith. When I first entered all the ingredients and switched out enough base malt for LME to work for me with the same OG, the IBU's were nearly halved. I had to move the LME to the last 10 minutes to bring them back up where they were in the AG recipe.

I can't tell if that's an agreement or disagreement. :D

Right now I am brewing exclusively with DME and specialty grains. I normally will steep my grains in 2.5 gallons of water, rinse/sparge them with 1 gallon, add 1 lb DME to that, bring to a boil and add my bittering hop addition.

I too use Beersmith, and I recently set my IBU default from Tinseth to Rager (Rager seems to be a bit lower and more accurate IMO). Using the method I described above, I normally will hit the mid-range of the IBU's that the style calls for. Using Tinseth got me to the mid-upper range of IBU's and I didn't think it was as accurate.

At any rate, the method I have been using has brewed great results.:rockin:

:)Congrats on your full boil. I wanted to ask that same question, but i read through the threads first. Is the Bayou Classic SQ14 Single Burner Outdoor Patio Stove the burner of choice. I need to buy one but I am unsure. I donot want to spend money for something that i will have to sell and repurchase.

I might have missed this, but when do you add the full amount of water, for a full boil. After you mash the grain then add your full 5 gallons bing to boil add extract? Or mash grain brring to boil add extract add rest of the h2o bring to boil add hops? I guess is it before or after you add the extract?

When doing full boil w extract did you change anything with the recipe like hops? :confused:

I asked the same thing before doing my first batch and came to the conclusion that the answer was no.

*edit: except for that stuff on the previous page, ha.

Personally I don't mess with the hops though.

I might have missed this, but when do you add the full amount of water, for a full boil. After you mash the grain then add your full 5 gallons bing to boil add extract? Or mash grain brring to boil add extract add rest of the h2o bring to boil add hops? I guess is it before or after you add the extract?

Full boil simply means that the full amount of wort is being boiled at one time. You can add all extract to start, or add some later (Late Extract Additions).

I recommend LEA if you want to keep the color as light as possible. Add 1/3 to boil with, the the remaining 2/3 with about 15 minutes left.

If you are doing a PM, I'd add it after the mash step.

First time I did an extract full boil, I did not reduce my hop bill, and it was wayyyy more bitter than partial boil. The lower gravity of a full boil increases the extraction efficiency of the hop acids. Had to let that one sit in a keg for a really long time before it was drinkable - and I love hoppy beers.

First time I did an extract full boil, I did not reduce my hop bill, and it was wayyyy more bitter than partial boil. The lower gravity of a full boil increases the extraction efficiency of the hop acids. Had to let that one sit in a keg for a really long time before it was drinkable - and I love hoppy beers.

Yes, and this will be the case for late extract additions too.

OK, so what exactly is the chemical benefit of a full boil other than hop utilization? "It just tastes better" isn't enough for me to go to the trouble. Why would it taste better?

It seems like from what I've read in this thread you can get the exact same results by doing partial boil and just using a very late addition of at least half of your extract as well as adding a little more hops..

OK, so what exactly is the chemical benefit of a full boil other than hop utilization? "It just tastes better" isn't enough for me to go to the trouble. Why would it taste better?

There is no need to do any boil for extract other than sterilization
(3 min) because the extract was boiled and the break already
removed in the process of making it.

As far as bitterness is concerned, you can do something like a 15
min boil of 2.5 gallons of water only, using .75 ounce of a high AA%
hop like Magnum at 15%AA, to get ~30 IBU. Then just add the
extract and boil another 3 min. However, this is like a flavor
addition, and if the high AA hops don't have a good flavor the result
might not be that good. A long boil drives off the aroma/flavor
components. If you use a low% AA hop with good flavor, you
would have to use a lot of it for a 15 min boil and all the leafy
matter would probably give you a vegetal flavor.

So to get best control of flavor you can do a long 60 min
boil of 2.5 gallons (or 2!) with no extract, adding hops for
flavor in the usual way, (but less of both because of the
high extraction in water only) then just add the extract
and any liquid from steeping grains for the last three minutes only.

This business about having to do a full boil of the extract
with 5 gallons is just malarkey.

Ray

full verus partial boil doesnt matter for ibu/hop util

From Ray Daniels Designing Great Beers, "The gravity of the wort in the boil pot also has an effect on utilization. Generally, higher gravity beers show lower levels of utilization. The diference in utilization between a 1.040 wort and one at 1.080 can be as much as 15 percent."

From John Palmer's How To Brew, "The standard extract brewing procedure has been to boil all of the extract at a high gravity and dilute that wort in the fermenter. The benefits of this technique were sanitization of all the extract and a very thourough hot break (coagulation) of any remaining protien from the extract manufacturing process. But high gravity boils also result in reduced hop isomerization, poorer foam stability, and flavor changes from Maillard reactions."

[EDIT] Hmmm, just read the thread on Things I've Learned From HBT, and there was some interesting discussion on this very topic. Looking forward to learning more.

From Ray Daniels Designing Great Beers, "The gravity of the wort in the boil pot also has an effect on utilization. Generally, higher gravity beers show lower levels of utilization. The diference in utilization between a 1.040 wort and one at 1.080 can be as much as 15 percent."

From John Palmer's How To Brew, "The standard extract brewing procedure has been to boil all of the extract at a high gravity and dilute that wort in the fermenter. The benefits of this technique were sanitization of all the extract and a very thourough hot break (coagulation) of any remaining protien from the extract manufacturing process. But high gravity boils also result in reduced hop isomerization, poorer foam stability, and flavor changes from Maillard reactions."

[EDIT] Hmmm, just read the thread on Things I've Learned From HBT, and there was some interesting discussion on this very topic. Looking forward to learning more.

Yes. Palmer has retracted that statement and apologized for the misinformation Tthe 2008 BBR interview with him, entitled "What is an IBU, Really?", was one of the first to start discussing the matter--almost every home brewing text and piece of software written prior to then gets this wrong.

That thread has links to a ton of the more recent info on the subject, including measurements of the same recipe brewed with a full boil, a standard partial boil, and a partial boil with late extract addition and then measured (via the real spectrophotometric method) for IBUs. In all cases, the hop utilization was identical even though the boil even though the boil gravity was 1.078 full boil and 1.127 (!!) in the normal extract version.

Note that the home brewing misconception did not come from nowhere and there's a reason that the formulas we use come out pretty close for all-grain brewing:

The amount of break material does alter final hops utilization--isomerized alpha acids will adhere to the break material, causing lower in-wort usage at the end of the day. This is almost entirely a non-factor in extract brewing (where the break takes place during the manufacturing process), but because of this in all-grain brewing this effect does cause a high correlation between wort gravity and hops utilization! (even though gravity is not actually the cause of the utilization difference) It's why IBU estimates tend to be pretty close in practice for all-grain brewers. It's also why IBU estimates are way, way off in wheat and rye beers; they have much more break material than a guess based on gravity would indicate.

The amount of break material does alter final hops utilization--isomerized alpha acids will adhere to the break material, causing lower in-wort usage at the end of the day. This is almost entirely a non-factor in extract brewing (where the break takes place during the manufacturing process), but because of this in all-grain brewing this effect does cause a high correlation between wort gravity and hops utilization! (even though gravity is not actually the cause of the utilization difference) It's why IBU estimates tend to be pretty close in practice for all-grain brewers. It's also why IBU estimates are way, way off in wheat and rye beers; they have much more break material than a guess based on gravity would indicate.

That's good to know! I assumed the hop utilization formulas
were correct because everyone got the same shape curve
even if the absolute amounts were different. I also assumed
(and still do) that the %AA of the hops you get isn't too
accurate because of the small amount of hops homebrewers
use. I think that number is only an average and only close
to accurate if you're throwing an entire bale into the
brew pot, like BMC.
Ray

It seems like from what I've read in this thread you can get the exact same results by doing partial boil and just using a very late addition of at least half of your extract as well as adding a little more hops..

For one, partial boils are going to cause way more carmelization than most styles call for.

even if the absolute amounts were different. I also assumed
(and still do) that the %AA of the hops you get isn't too
accurate because of the small amount of hops homebrewers
use. I think that number is only an average and only close
to accurate if you're throwing an entire bale into the
brew pot, like BMC.

It's not even really an average--Glenn Tinseth once remarked that for an entire bale of hops, they'll take one tiny sample and measure it and mark the bale with that level of alpha acids. That's obviously something that could be pretty high variance based on whether whether the single cone or so that they pull is pretty close to the rest of the bale or not.

Actually, the curve shapes are very different between various people's formulas.

In fact, in the same interview I alluded to above, Glenn Tinseth said that the S-shape of the Rager curve was the reason he started measuring things--as a scientist, he couldn't believe that isomerization would have that kind of curve, and when he measured it in real life he found that it didn't have an S-shape.

So the difference in curve shapes is actually the reason that we have the Tinseth formula (which is one of the more accurate IBU estimation formulas)

Rager shape:

Tinseth shape:

EDIT: Here's a link to the Brew Strong interview with Glenn Tinseth. He talks about the S-curve and his measurements here:
http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/588

Actually, the curve shapes are very different between various people's formulas.

I was thinking of the gravity/%utilization,
not time/%utilization, but in either case what I
meant was that he curves had the same general
result: higher gravity means less utilization or
more time means more utilization and they all
flatten out with time. In fact, in the podcast
at Basic Brewing radio, both the Tinseth
and Rager methods were equally right/wrong
overall.

Ray

I've always done full boils and I have never reduced my hops. I guess I got really lucky! Then again, I really like bitter/hoppy beer!!

I brew 2.3 gallon batches stovetop usually two at a time. Normally I split
up the Coopers HME cans between 1-3 lbs depending on what I am trying to
achieve plus DME and steeping grains. Anyway my first few batches were
twangy/ off flavors ect.. So I started bringing the full volume to a boil rather
than topping off. I dont boil the water for long, just add all ingredients late
and bring back to a boil and kill the heat and let sit for 5 - 10 minutes.
Fifteen straight batches with no twang or off flavors. I think
tap, well or even spring water could have low levels of nasties that could
sour or multiply sitting in a sweet batch of wort. Thats my theory anyway.
Maybe I'm just lucky, I dont know?

I always assumed that the full boil was just for city folk who have to deal with tap water that tastes like a tin can of chlorine soda.

My icey cold well water takes a 3 gallon boil to pitching temperature as quick as it comes out of the tap. Would the benefits of quick chilling not surpass the benefits of the water purification?

I have only been brewing for 6 months so I dont know how critical it is
that the water be completely free of "whatever" But we are all pretty
thorough with sanitation in every other step. But yet not many want to
think about the water being sanitized or sterile. I have seen spring water
on shelves with a green algae tinge to them and I can't swear Rambo's
not swatting rats in the bottom of my well ;-) so I boil and they turn out
fine. All grain brewers do full boils and not many of them complain about
problems that extract brewers do. JMHO of course
You know even city/tap water could be nasty too, ever saw into an old
intake line and looked at all the gunk in there? I mean it's fine for us to
drink but there could be something in there that could compete and stress
the yeasts even wild yeast maybe?

After reading this thread, I was moved to get my friends big boiling pot and do a full boil with my NB Saison kit. It was also nice to test my newly constructed wort chiller. I combined boiling water from different pots to get the large pot to boil; even then my crappy stove didn't get a great boil going.

My chiller worked okay, reasonable cold break, but next time I will have to augment my setup with some ice I think. Its been about 9 hours since I pitched my starter, lets see how this thing turns out! The first striking aspect of the brew was the color. It was a beautiful coppery orange. I was blown away. Thanks for getting me to do this!

(hoo boy, fingers crossed that somebody actually answers my question on this ancient but enlightening thread...)

What do you mean by "clean ice cubes"? I'm imagining boiling water, sanitizing the ice cube tray, and freezing it in there... but even then it would make me nervous. Or am I overthinking it?

i would still use an immersion chiller, or any type of chiller compared to ice cubes. But if you can get away with it, do it. On the full boil subject, i have began to realize the bigger the boil, the better the beer. I will continue full boils from now on, just my two cents.

I just got myself set up for full boils (35 qt SS pot from overstock and a chiller from NB). Already had a burner from a turkey fryer. After listening to those brewing network dudes discussing prioritizing purchases, I decided going full boil was the first step. JZ is a big advocate of full over partial boil and making that move before partial mash or full grain. Temp control would be next, but so far I've been able to use the ambient house temps (living in New England) and a large tub with some water to sit the bucket in.

Did my 1st full boil Monday. All extract hefe. Red immersion chiller got the wort down to the mid 70s pretty damn fast. Started with 6.5g, boiled off about 1 g., transferred 5g, leaving the hop sediment and any muck in the pot.

I like the fact that all my water is being boiled in a full. Last batch I made (a sierra clone) I did partial boil, but took the time the night before to boil all the water I would be topping off with. More work. Sure, many people don't boil the top-off water and get away with it, but... so boil all at one time, better hop utilization, and I don't stink up the house doing partial boils on the stove and irritating my wife and kids. :)

after 16 partial boils my 1st and 2nd full boils are fermenting nicely now. very excited.

Back