Idea for a Specialty/Holiday Brew...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kugel

Reaction score
I'm going to be be making a Graff - 2 gallon wort with amber ale LME with Cascade hops added for the last 10-15 minutes of the boil, transfer to the Fermenter and top off with 2.25 gallons apple juice, then pitch a packet of Safale US-05. Should be able to get ~ 4+ gallons out of the batch. Keg it when done and force carbonate it. IBUs, according to Recipe Builder, should be ~ 20. We'll "taste" it as it ages to see how it changes over time.

If this turns out the way that I hope (i.e. TASTY! :D ) then I was thinking about doing it again and adding some peppermint oil to it for a "Christmasish" Treat/taste. Maybe also add some All Spice or Pumpkin Pie Spice, too. Hopefully Fruity, Light and Festive.

Anyone ever done this? When would you suggest adding the peppermint oil? Or, is it just a bad idea all around?

What say you all?

Good Brewing and God bless!

Kugel

Good thing about peppermint oil is that the best way to add would be to dose a glass of the finished beverage. If you don't like it, it's just that one glass. If you do like it, dose the rest of the batch.

When I made a graf, I found success with a 50/50 blend of fresh apple cider and strong Scotch ale wort. Note the last, very recent post after~2yrs in the bottle. It's what I'd do differently next time.

A Wee Heavy Graf

Good thing about peppermint oil is that the best way to add would be to dose a glass of the finished beverage. If you don't like it, it's just that one glass. If you do like it, dose the rest of the batch.

When I made a graf, I found success with a 50/50 blend of fresh apple cider and strong Scotch ale wort. Note the last, very recent post after~2yrs in the bottle. It's what I'd do differently next time.

A Wee Heavy Graf

Thank you, Sir, for the idea of dosing a smaller amount, first. Will probably dose a 1 Liter bottle, so that two of us can sample a "pint" each, and then decide if we want to continue.

Good Brewing and God Bless!

Kugel

I'd recommend a series of tasting glasses, not a full pint. Think of a tasting flight. 1drop in the first, 2 in the second, etc. If 1drop is too much, put a drop in an ounce, then use a drop of that to dose a glass.

More questions...

What if I were to add some regular oatmeal to the boil of this Graff recipe? I mean just plain rolled oats out of your standard round oatmeal container from the grocery store.

1) Would be a "fermentable"?
2) Would it add some "creaminess" to the final product?
3) Would it add any flavor?
4) How long to boil?
5) Should I strain out the boiled oatmeal before pitching the yeast?

Thanks in advance!

Good Brewing and God Bless!!

Kugel

In the boil, no. In a proper mash, absolutely. Maybe some mouthfeel, little flavor. Without enzymatic conversion in a mash, it'll just add starch. Starch is not fermentable.

Latest posts

Back