Idea for a braggot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alaktheman

Reaction score
So I've been thinking about making a braggot for a while and was thinking of a recipe but am unsure of how much of each ingredient I would need to make a 5 gallon batch. I was thinking about using the following ingredients.

-Chocolate malt ?
-smoked peat malt ?
-buckwheat honey 1-2lbs
-wildflower honey 4lbs

I'm looking for something with a hint of smokiness with a medium amount of chocolate flavour and a little bit of buckwheat that doesn't overpower the chocolate.

I'm planning on asking the guys at my local home brew store as well but the mead guy isn't always there so its not the most reliable source of information for this.

You need to mash the malt and boil the resulting wort. I'd go for mainly pale malt with some chocolate malt and the tiniest two ounces of peat malt. I made a dark bragawd with mainly pale / crystal malt ages ago and it worked very well.

What gravity are you aiming at? For 5 gallons I'd look at around 8lb pale malt, 1/4-1/2lb chocolate malt, and one or two ounces of peated malt, plus around 6-8lb honey.

Just thought that if you are not used to brewing beer and don't have the equipment, replace the pale malt with dry or liquid extract. You can then steep the other malts in a muslin bag.

Back