I was about to transfer and realize the water line is only at 4 gallons

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm. If you don't add the water you will end up with a stronger beer than you expected. If you do add another gallon, boil it for 15 minutes and chill to fermeter temp before you do. Never had that issue when I was extract brewing, but it should be should fine either way.:mug:

Hmm. If you don't add the water you will end up with a stronger beer than you expected. If you do add another gallon, boil it for 15 minutes and chill to fermeter temp before you do. Never had that issue when I was extract brewing, but it should be should fine either way.:mug:

I would want to put the boiled and chilled water into the secondary carboy and then transfer the beer into it right?

I would want to put the boiled and chilled water into the secondary carboy and then transfer the beer into it right?

Right. If you were right on with your OG, though, I wouldn't water down the beer. If you were very high on your OG when you went into the fermenter, you can add the correct amount of water now. But if you hit your OG and you've just simply lost some wort/beer to the kettle, or racking losses, watering it down now will just, well, water down the beer.

This happened to me on 2 recent brews and the resulting beers are incredible. Enjoy your stronger than expected beer.

This happened to me on 2 recent brews and the resulting beers are incredible. Enjoy your stronger than expected beer.

Right. If you were right on with your OG, though, I wouldn't water down the beer. If you were very high on your OG when you went into the fermenter, you can add the correct amount of water now. But if you hit your OG and you've just simply lost some wort/beer to the kettle, or racking losses, watering it down now will just, well, water down the beer.
Thank you both
I should then reduce my priming sugar accordingly right?

It's a milk stout, so it shouldn't be heavily carbonated. I should probably use about 1/2 cup instead of the normal 3/4 cupof corn sugar then right?
About 1/8 lower for a lightly carbonated stout and another 1/8 cup for reduced volume?
Right?

Thank you both
I should then reduce my priming sugar accordingly right?

It's a milk stout, so it shouldn't be heavily carbonated. I should probably use about 1/2 cup instead of the normal 3/4 cupof corn sugar then right?
About 1/8 lower for a lightly carbonated stout and another 1/8 cup for reduced volume?
Right?

I weigh my priming sugar (I think it's more accurate, since sugar can "pack down" and what is 1/2 cup to me might be more or less to you) but I'd go with a "carbonation calculator" to ensure it's correct. Like this: http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

Don't add boiled water. Even boiled, there will be enough O2 to oxygenate your beer. When a commercial brewery does this it is called back liquoring and they use de-aerated water.

Just talked about this with Ray Daniels (online) the other day. He says you really can't boil off enough of the O2. Surface area of the water picks up O2 instantly.

Don't add boiled water. Even boiled, there will be enough O2 to oxygenate your beer. When a commercial brewery does this it is called back liquoring and they use de-aerated water.

Just talked about this with Ray Daniels (online) the other day. He says you really can't boil off enough of the O2. Surface area of the water picks up O2 instantly.

That's good to know. I'm no chemist, so I just assumed that boiled would be "good enough".

Back