I Want To Buy A PWM

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverZero

Reaction score
I just got through mangling my attempt at building a PWM based on a common design around here, for my new electric kettle project. I don't have the skills or the equipment to solder up my own PWM board, so I'm hoping somebody can point me to a ready-made model. I really have no use for PID as I'm only controlling the boil in my main kettle, although if a PID will allow me to control the element (5500w) the same as a simple PWM I'd consider that.

Can anybody help me? I did what I could, but it's a limitation of my skills and my soldering gun. I'm going to burn out the 555 before I get a good connection every time, I just know it. :mad:

Interesting, this is different from the regular SSR I already have. Do I just connect a pot across the DC input side? What's the cycle frequency? I wasn't aware they made SSRs like this.

That SSR (40 Amp) plus a PID from Auber (SYL 2363 is a good model) in manual mode will do what you're looking for. Manual mode lets you control the duty cycle a percentage of on time, i.e. 100% means always on, 50% means equal time on and off, etc. Be sure to mount a heat sink on the SSR though.

I think this is a newer type of SSR that has a control circuit built in. I thought they were just on/off but after reading a few other threads it seems there are adjustable SSRs that just need a variable input voltage via a power supply and a pot.

I understand how a PWM works, I tried to build one for the SSR (non- adjustable) that I already have (which I did mount to a heat sink even though it's a 40A model which some say isn't necessary) and I'm pretty well convinced I won't be able to do it myself. This seems like a way around all that. A PID is overkill because I'm just controlling a boil, but if the cost was reasonably similar I'd do it just to have the option to use it for temp control in the future.

Interesting, this is different from the regular SSR I already have. Do I just connect a pot across the DC input side? What's the cycle frequency? I wasn't aware they made SSRs like this.

yeah they are phase control and yes you just connect the resistor across the 2 terminals that the dc input is connected to on normal SSR. I can't get on ebay at the moment but I wouldn't expect them to cost that much. They chop the waveform so they can produce a bit of noise but for switching a resistive heating element it won't produce that much.

cheers steve

Very cool, sounds like just what I want. I see there are discussions about these not being switched at zero-crossings but I don't know that I really care about that. In just checked Ebay, they can be had from China for $10-$12 or so, maybe not great quality but probably as good as my $5 SSR at the moment. :)

Thanks!

Back