I think we need a Kittay thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it loosely works. the person who copped it, doesn't have a value for said item. it was free.

As our beloved LOLCatz would say, "UR DOIN IT RONG." It doesn't work, loosely or otherwise.

Let me look that up for you:

"invaluable" - adj.

valuable beyond estimation.

"invaluable." Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary. 2009.
Merriam-Webster Online. 30 November 2009
<http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/invaluable>

In other words, the exact opposite of what you intended.

funny-pictures-monoral-cat-now-stops-at-the-library.jpg

well if you got something free, how can you estimate a price? especially if you trade it for a bag of chips. that is clearly assigning a value of $3.

by the way. in english, in means not, so technicaly it should mean not valuable. however that is not the case.

Right, just like inflamable and infamous :p

Actually, it's a pretty easy mistake to make; we're just busting on you.

Technically, my foot. A word means what it means, no matter how vainly you hope otherwise.

My dear boy, I advise you to read the definition I conveniently posted above for your edification. Better, comprehend it.

Here is another definition. Let us hope this one sticks.

invaluable [&#618;n&#712;vælj&#650;&#601;b&#601;l]adj having great value that is impossible to calculate; priceless

[Collins English Dictionary &#8211; Complete and Unabridged 6th Edition 2003.]

I put the important bits in bold italics so you're sure to see it this time.

The prefix "in" more often than not means "very", as it does in this case. See "inflammable". You make a common mistake: You confuse "in" with "un". Correct this oversight.

Regards,

Bob

P.S. I'm also busting on you. :D

The prefix "in" more often than not means "very", as it does in this case. See "inflammable". You make a common mistake: You confuse "in" with "un". Correct this oversight.

Just to join in the busting... you're wrong there. the prefex "in" means "not". But in this case, it's "not able to be given a value", as in it's so precious that you could never put a price on it. Invaluable. In means "not", not "very".

And in the future, all posts arguing semantics have to include a kitteh!
funny-pictures-one-cat-wrestles.jpg

Just to join in the busting... you're wrong there. the prefex "in" means "not". But in this case, it's "not able to be given a value", as in it's so precious that you could never put a price on it. Invaluable. In means "not", not "very".

Ingenious

funny-pictures-cat-finished-rubiks-cube.jpg

Dude, we really need a few more posts here so that everytime I look at the last page I'm not greeted at the top by two hockey dudes, faux kissing.

Back