I Quit Smoking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After a few months that super strong craving you get when your drinking goes away. Just have a beer or 2 it's when you get really buzzed those first few months that you give in.

Unfortunately it's all or nothing for me. I have to quit drinking, coffee and cigarettes at once. I have patch sitting and waiting just for the right time and here I am on the beer forum:smack::smack::smack::smack:

Unfortunately it's all or nothing for me. I have to quit drinking, coffee and cigarettes at once.

I could not imagine taking all of those out of the equation at the same time.

I would not be well tolerated by the wife or anyone else for that matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Unfortunately it's all or nothing for me. I have to quit drinking, coffee and cigarettes at once. I have patch sitting and waiting just for the right time and here I am on the beer forum:smack::smack::smack::smack:

I have a buddy whose dad is a psychologist. When he has to deal with someone addicted to alcohol, drugs, etc, he tells them "don't quit smoking right now. It's too much."

Keep the coffee, cut back on the drinking a bit, but if you try to do all three it's going to be VERY difficult.

I have a buddy whose dad is a psychologist. When he has to deal with someone addicted to alcohol, drugs, etc, he tells them "don't quit smoking right now. It's too much."

Keep the coffee, cut back on the drinking a bit, but if you try to do all three it's going to be VERY difficult.

Yeah...triple edged sword there but I have to do it.

So you were born in 65 and quit smoking 14 years ago?

I started smoking when I was 12 and have quit a few times. The last time I quit, it was for 7 years. I started up again about 7 years ago and I don't think I'll ever stop again. Maybe I'll die of lung cancer or maybe I'll die in a car crash. My friend is about to die from throat cancer and he's never smoked. My wife's mother recently died from lung cancer at 60 years old and she never smoked, either. Yep, my wife is younger than me. She doesn't smoke, either, and she had a large brain tumor removed earlier this year during a nearly 9 hour surgery. My grandfather died of throat cancer when he was 72 - he smoked 4 packs of unfiltered Pall Mall per day for over 50 years. Smoking might have caused his throat cancer, or maybe it was my grandmother's cooking. Who knows?

My friend's dad had lung problems for years. He never quit. When I met him he was able to get out to the barn, or go to town with an O2 tank. A few years later he was not able to walk to walk to the garage about 30 feet away from the back door. Just before he passed away he was barely able to get out of bed, but still begging me to go to the store and buy him a pack of smokes. He spent months in a hospital bed in his house, not even able to go to the bathroom, barely enough breath to speak.

So I'd seen enough of that **** to know I would rather NOT play the odds. This man was an engineer who always relied on doing things himself. To see him reduced that way was heartbreaking.

That psychologist would do well with a swift kick in the nuts for such inept advice. I had no problem at all and would most gladly and readily administer such swift kick on a professional basis. Call for an appointment.

I quit five months ago, cold turkey. It took forty five days until I didn't feel withdrawal symptoms. It's 100% willpower. Now I feel great. Twice as much lung capacity, veins in legs doing much better, I never search for fire, and beer tastes much better! I'm 48, it was time, and I'm not going back. That said I did get an e-cig last week, glass tank. I find no addiction towards it. It has lowest nicotine, and many have none. The nicotine is pure, like the patch. Not 100 other addictive substances in burn cigarettes. It's a big difference. I think vaping is a much safer alternative, just by the taste and feeling, YMMV.

I quit five months ago, cold turkey. It took forty five days until I didn't feel withdrawal symptoms. It's 100% willpower. Now I feel great. Twice as much lung capacity, veins in legs doing much better, I never search for fire, and beer tastes much better! I'm 48, it was time, and I'm not going back. That said I did get an e-cig last week, glass tank. I find no addiction towards it. It has lowest nicotine, and many have none. The nicotine is pure, like the patch. Not 100 other addictive substances in burn cigarettes. It's a big difference. I think vaping is a much safer alternative, just by the taste and feeling, YMMV.

Umm... Having the willpower to go "cold turkey" (ability to battle the physiological mechanism of addiction) has zero to do with the ability to battle the psychological mechanism of addiction. No addict posesses the ability to battle the psychological mechanism or there would have never been an addiction in the first place. All sorts of little rationalisations arise about why this is not as bad as that, why this is ok, why this won't hurt, etc and so forth. The e-cig industry intends to capitalise on those little rationalisations. Screw them and give me a real cigarette.

During the war in Finland, when coffee was scarce, people roasted dried peas to ground them up and drink (pretend coffee). Battling the psychological mechanisms, indeed...

I look at it this way: If cigarettes kill me first, then I've been pretty lucky. I'm far more likely to die due to physical trauma than I am due to disease. My wife's mother, on the other hand, died of lung cancer at 60 and she was not a smoker. Perhaps if she had been a smoker, she would have had something other to do with her hands than eat herself to the majestic size of 160 kg. And she would have died of lung cancer at 60 anyway.

All our lives we sweat and save, Building for a shallow grave. Must be something else we say, Somehow to defend this place.

That psychologist would do well with a swift kick in the nuts for such inept advice. I had no problem at all and would most gladly and readily administer such swift kick on a professional basis. Call for an appointment.

Just because you could do it doesn't mean everyone else can or should. Addiction effects everyone differently. Personally, I went from 2 packs a day and was able to quit pretty much cold turkey.
I also drank too much, chased women, and was letting the rest of my time get sucked away gaming. Of those I dropped the gaming as well--working 8-10 hours and then spending 10-12 raiding every day (16 hours on the weekend) was not a healthy endeavor either(and tended to limit the opportunity to chase women). I had to make a decision what did I want more-- to continue to drink 3-4 cases a week while sitting in front of a computer screen, burning away money in cigarettes, or finding something more meaningful.
I picked the 2 that I felt had the least positive return. Eliminating those 2 vices helped me find a balance, I couldn't give up all of them and been successful. That would have been too much for me.
I know plenty of people who take on too much and failed. They aren't weaker, rather they just underestimate the draw of their desires. Think of it this way, how strong do you need to be to pick up a 50 lb sack of malt? Now, picture 4 of them. I can pick up 200 lbs, but how far am I going to make it? Not far. But two, one on each shoulder, i can manage as far as needed. My friend can grab 3 and go a few yards before resting or resetting. Who is really the stronger one?

Umm... Having the willpower to go "cold turkey" (ability to battle the physiological mechanism of addiction) has zero to do with the ability to battle the psychological mechanism of addiction.

Uh... what? Anyway, if you are discouraging people from quitting, why?

No addict posesses the ability to battle the psychological mechanism or there would have never been an addiction in the first place.

People get smarter with age. So, while at one time the desire to quit an addiction didn't exist, later the desire and mental fortitude exists, making it possible. Anyone here over 40 knows what I'm talking about.

All sorts of little rationalisations arise about why this is not as bad as that, why this is ok, why this won't hurt, etc and so forth. The e-cig industry intends to capitalise on those little rationalisations. Screw them and give me a real cigarette.

During the war in Finland, when coffee was scarce, people roasted dried peas to ground them up and drink (pretend coffee). Battling the psychological mechanisms, indeed...

I look at it this way: If cigarettes kill me first, then I've been pretty lucky. I'm far more likely to die due to physical trauma than I am due to disease. My wife's mother, on the other hand, died of lung cancer at 60 and she was not a smoker. Perhaps if she had been a smoker, she would have had something other to do with her hands than eat herself to the majestic size of 160 kg. And she would have died of lung cancer at 60 anyway.

Smoke away. Nobody here really cares. I loved smoking. But I'm done with it, so you can have mine. Cheers!

Anyone remember the Steven King short story Quitter Inc.? Story about a company that helps (!) you quit smoking.

I used to be a big fan. It was in a collection of stories called Night Shift (Kindle Version $6). They were all great. Quitters Inc. was really good. If you are a reader, grab Night Shift and read Quitters Inc. Good stuff! All the stories in there were good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Uh... what? Anyway, if you are discouraging people from quitting, why?

No, I'm not discouraging anyone from quitting. In fact, please quit smoking. My point is that "quitting" only to start on e-cigs a month later isn't quitting at all, it's only "pretend quitting".

I should also quit, because it's expensive, but I don't want to.

I think when I get old, I'll start again. Regardless of the nastiness of the thing, and the deleterious effect on health, it's part of my psyche.

This quote is old, but new to me. I quit long ago. I've always told my wife that when/if I turn 80 years old I'm going to start again. I haven't smoked for so long it is hard to imagine taking it up again, but I did enjoy it at the time. Hang in there quitters. There's more bad than good, even if you aren't concerned about your health.

Anyone remember the Steven King short story Quitter Inc.? Story about a company that helps (!) you quit smoking.

I used to be a big fan. It was in a collection of stories called Night Shift (Kindle Version $6). They were all great. Quitters Inc. was really good. If you are a reader, grab Night Shift and read Quitters Inc. Good stuff! All the stories in there were good.

I think I read that in the 6th grade. It's a really good book if you like King stories. I liked The Mangler and a couple of others. Lots of variety of stories.

Very good indeed.

I started smoking when I was 16. My dad dropped a pack of smokes in my car one day when he was working on it and I've been a smoker ever since. I'm 35.

I got divorced (signed the papers) July 11th and went on the patch the next day. I figured since I'm gonna be on the market soon I wouldn't have to worry about that being a deal-breaker for a potential chica. Besides, I gotta be able to pay for this nice big house on one income now.

Anyway...I haven't smoked since. Been smoke-free for more than two months. The new (substantially younger :D ) girlfriend has been supportive, and it has been one of the best decisions I've ever made- second only to getting a divorce in the first place. :)

I picked up the e-cig five months after quitting, not one month as misleading statements suggest. It's a two steps forward, one back situation, yet still progress. I'm not pretending anything. I have ordered zero nicotine juice, and the stuff I have now is bare minimum 0.6 mg. I probably won't use it much longer, but I do recommend anyone trying to quit combustion smoking to supplement and wean with vaping an e-cig. It is totally different, I only suggest you try it and decide for yourself. I'm not grouchy at all like someone here, and am only trying to help with an alternative therapy.:p

Umm... Having the willpower to go "cold turkey" (ability to battle the physiological mechanism of addiction) has zero to do with the ability to battle the psychological mechanism of addiction. No addict posesses the ability to battle the psychological mechanism or there would have never been an addiction in the first place.

That seems an odd thing to say. If it were true, no one would ever manage to quit on his own. But I did it, and so have a lot of other people...

I smoked for 12 years. Never really understood why because I hated it. I would never smoke in my house. Always washed my hands when I was done and if I was home, brushed my teeth. Hated the smell of others smoking. Going out to a bar and smelling my clothes the next day was horrendous.

One day my wife bought me an e-cig. Hadn't touched a real smoke since! Over 4 years now.

Within a month of switching over I felt so good that I started working out. Dropped 35 pounds in 30 days.

Still using the e-cig now. Only draw back, my teeth aren't as clean as they used to be.

Just because you could do it doesn't mean everyone else can or should. Addiction effects everyone differently. Personally, I went from 2 packs a day and was able to quit pretty much cold turkey.
I also drank too much, chased women, and was letting the rest of my time get sucked away gaming. Of those I dropped the gaming as well--working 8-10 hours and then spending 10-12 raiding every day (16 hours on the weekend) was not a healthy endeavor either(and tended to limit the opportunity to chase women). I had to make a decision what did I want more-- to continue to drink 3-4 cases a week while sitting in front of a computer screen, burning away money in cigarettes, or finding something more meaningful.
I picked the 2 that I felt had the least positive return. Eliminating those 2 vices helped me find a balance, I couldn't give up all of them and been successful. That would have been too much for me.
I know plenty of people who take on too much and failed. They aren't weaker, rather they just underestimate the draw of their desires. Think of it this way, how strong do you need to be to pick up a 50 lb sack of malt? Now, picture 4 of them. I can pick up 200 lbs, but how far am I going to make it? Not far. But two, one on each shoulder, i can manage as far as needed. My friend can grab 3 and go a few yards before resting or resetting. Who is really the stronger one?

It isn't about your example of physical strength although I do understand the point you bring across. It is about personal determination. You can be determined to succeed or be determined to fail, albeit unknowingly.

... Then I quit, cold turkey, and never touched one again; not once. ... I dream about smoking, even now, many years later. I know it's bad, really bad, and I'm grateful that I did stop it. When I wake up from the dreams, I'm regretful that I started up again; then I realize, when the fog of sleep dissipates, that it was a dream..

Was just reading this article on CNN. Sounds almost identical to what I wrote in the first post.

"I quit cold turkey and never looked back. Sometimes that first year I would wake up with nightmares that I had started smoking again. I had to shake myself until I realized that I hadn't and embrace, once again, my victory over dependence."

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/20/health/carolyn-choate-smokeout-irpt/

Thankfully I am cheap. I decided that it was much too expensive to smoke. That was in 1969 when the price rose from $.35 to $.40 per pack.

Nothing made me happier than when they banned cigarette from bars and restaurants. I hated waking up the morning after and smelling the stink on my clothes and in my hair.

Now I can smell cigarette smoke in the middle of a parking lot from a car 4-5 spaces away. It makes me gag!

Now I can smell cigarette smoke in the middle of a parking lot from a car 4-5 spaces away. It makes me gag!

Yuppers! On a nice warm day, when I'm riding my motorcycle in traffic, I can easily tell what cars have the windows down with at least one smoker inside!

glenn514:mug:

I quit many times, didn't seem to help so I quit quitting. I run 50 miles a week most weeks so perhaps I'm balancing it! I love my morning cigarette after coffee, wouldn't give it up again...

Cheers!
Steve da sleeve

I didn't start until I was 35. Real genius, but found myself in a high-pressure position both at work and in my personal life. Thought I needed something to cope, I guess. Things did get better over time but couln't seem to get away from the habit by then.
Figured that at 55 and with 6 grand kids it was time.
The Saturday before my last cig was a brew day. I'd have a couple during the mash, a couple more during the boil, another one maybe two while draining the BK...am nervous to see what happens next time, it's only been 5 weeks...may put off brewing again until after the holidays to give me more time.

I gave it up a few times now I just don't care. So many in my family live until they are old as dirt. (90's +) I really don't want to live that long and get stuck in an old folks home wearing diapers picking my nose in the corner like so many other relatives have even if they smoked. Signed the dnr last week. When I Go I'm Going Kicking n Screaming and enjoying myself to the end.:fro:

I started when I was 10 (28 now) and was on and off until I was 16. Then it was a regular thing for me. It wasnt until I started hitting the gym hard again around 20 when I decided I didnt want to smoke all of the time, so I decided I would only smoke when I drank. The best analogy Ive heard on the topic is that smoking and drinking is a lot like pissing and ****ting. You can take a piss without ****ting, but no one takes a **** without pissing. Anyways, I loved smoking while drinking. I could easily go through a pack (or most of) in a friday or saturday night. Even got into non filters. Then I started dating a girl who wouldnt have it, so I smoked when she wasnt around. That went of for 2 years and we eventually split (not from the smoking thing though) I remember I smoked maybe a pack or two after we split before I started dating my now wife. She too, wouldnt have it. I was head over heels for her so I quit. I used the electronic cigarettes, and honestly, they worked. I still use one now and then if I am pounding some beers or lq some night, but Im pretty good on drinking without smoking. I did slip in MI when I was at the NHC and smoked two cigs... Knocked me on my ass.

I still miss it sometimes, but Im reminded of the consequences when I have patients with COPD, or who wreak of smoke, etc. I dont miss smelling like ass

I smoked (pack a day, minimum) for 12 years before getting off the sticks 2 years ago. Electronic cigarettes and variants have been key for me- perhaps they aren't 100% healthy, but my cardio abilities and general well-being suggest that they are far better than cigarettes. Over the last 6 months I finally crossed the threshold where it's no longer tempting to procure a real smoke, my fake version works just fine (the pipe tobacco liquid and electronic pipe help).

Huzzah to everyone on this thread, it's a tough habit to kick. I know that my beer tasting appreciates my improved palate, nice to fully grasp flavors and scents again (well, in the beer context).

Congrats to all who quit. I spend a good part of my work day suctioning what used to be lungs out of smokers. There isn't a work week that goes by I don't watch someone die a horrible (in the truest sense of the word) death due to smoking.

It isn't about living longer (although that never hurts). Its about quality of life...When you're so short of breath you can no longer wipe your own a@## without getting winded you're life is no longer your own.

Take it from me, quitting smoking as fast as you can is the best thing you can do for yourself and your loved ones. Anyone who tells you otherwise, even if its you telling yourself this, is full of %$#@

Congrats again to everyone who's been able to quit!

I quit 3, (maybe 4), years ago today. I guess since I don't recall how many years it's been, it's a sign of how unimportant smoking really was to me. After doing it for 20 years, it wasn't nearly as hard to quit as I expected.

I wish all the new year's quitters the best of luck, and hope your transition to your healthier lifestyle goes smoothly.

My father died from esophageal cancer on Thursday, 3 days ago. I watched him expire. For many days he lay in an awful state, gasping for breath and without the ability to swallow. The pain in his chest was pretty severe and required a constant drip of morphine. Because of the area of the disease, he could not eat for the last several months of his life, nor drink for the last week, so maybe he starved to death or similar. Hard to say.

Both his parents lived into their 90's, and his aunt lived to be 103. My dad died at 73.

My dad was lifelong smoker. He was asking for a "puff" right up until his larynx stopped working.

I know we all have to die somehow, but take my word for it this is not how you want to go. Real-life horror.

Wow, PP. Im so sorry you had to go through that. My condolences to you and yours.

I quit smoking ( again) today. I had a couple beers and weakened. I had just lit one up , then saw this thread. After reading your post I stomped it out, my resolve strengthened. Thank you for your post. It came at the moment it was needed.

Sorry again for your loss. I will raise my glass to your father tonight. And not follow it with a cigarette.

374 day smoke free...
I smoked for about 14 years between 14 and 28. never looking back, but i to have the occasional dream where I'm smoking, by its not like im getting tempted these days so thats good news.

Latest posts

Back