Hello

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I’m on Tasmania.

I’ve been brewing since 1979 but didn’t really get into it until around ‘93 when I turned up some books and magazines about beer and brewing and began to make beers I really liked.

Without doubt Charlie Papazian was the most influential brewing writer for me, in the ‘90s.

From 2000-2020 I only made a few batches every 5 years or so, but in 2020 I was sent home from work for about 6 months and while I was stuck at home I found leftover ingredients. Yeast which has been in the fridge for four years. That sort of thing.
I found my demijohns and brewed up a couple of 4 litre all grain batches. I had to hit the books and do some internet searches and in doing that I became very interested in brewing again. When I saw how affordable an AIO brewery could be I decided to get one.
I kind of pushed on with it, joined the local club, started entering competitions and learning to judge. I’m getting a bit ‘senior’ to feel good about drinking a lot of beer so I try to drink only moderately but I enjoy the process of making it and I like tasting it. I give a lot away.
I enjoy the whole process of making beer and I don’t experience much impatience with it. I find it all quite relaxing.
I like to think I’m old fashioned and hands-on but I actually use quite a bit of new tech while trying to keep it simple. I really just try to avoid rabbit holes where one piece of gear leads to another.
Cheers,
Baz

Welcome from the US, California to be more specific. I am fairly new to the hobby and have been really enjoying it. I don't have much to add, but this place is awesome for info and good tips to keep you going. Rock On!!!!!

I pretty much started my journey with Papazian's book also. Then internet searches and forums. I spend way too much time learning about brewing, and the more I learn, the more I find out I don't know. We seem to have come on similar paths. Welcome.

Back