I need some clarity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopspop1176

Reaction score
We are just doing some extract kits for now to get our technique down. We have had good luck with the 3 kits we have done,Imperial Pale Ale,English Brown,and Kolsch. We are bottling for now,but I would like to work on better clarity in the bottles. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

Stronger boil, quicker chill, cold crash and longer secondary would be good topics to research.

I second everything previously said. Some other things I've also had good luck with are using bags for hops, and on the other end of things using finings like gelatin, isinglass, and bentonite.

I just finished up an apfelwein which began very hazy, it spent two weeks on bentonite in and it's now possible to read through a glass of it.

I never had to add anything to get clear beer. Just let it reach a stable FG,then let it sit in primary another 3-7 days to clean up & settle out more. The beer is clear or just slightly misty at bottling time. In a couple days to a week in the bottles,crystal clear.
Also,chilling the hot wort in the kettle down to pitch temp in 20 minutes or less helps a lot in getting little or no chill haze.

Just let it reach a stable FG,then let it sit in primary another 3-7 days to clean up & settle out more. The beer is clear or just slightly misty at bottling time. In a couple days to a week in the bottles,crystal clear.
Also,chilling the hot wort in the kettle down to pitch temp in 20 minutes or less helps a lot in getting little or no chill haze.

3 weeks in primary unless your racking to secondary to ad fruit or dry hop and +1 on the chill.

We bag our Hops and we use a wort chiller with a pump in the sink. I will try some ice in the sink the next time for a faster chill before pitching. We also let the brew set in the primary for a week then rack to our secondary for two weeks before bottling. Might try some Irish Moss in the next brew.
Thanks

In many brews, unless fruiting or dry hoping in secondary or BIG beers, a secondary is not needed. The yeast cake does a better job of "finishing" the beer with less chance for contamination.

I brew in a 36qt aluminum pot which transfers temps pretty well. It is low and wide, but can still fit in my stationary tub. With an ice water bath I can get my temp from boil to pitch temp in no more than 20 min, without a chiller.

My first few beers from extract kits weren't as clear as I wanted. From the wisdom of the forum, I stopped secondarying - unless as previously mentioned for flavoring~dry-hopping, and give the beer more time in the primary (4 weeks), now my (amber) beers are read-thru clear.

Back