I need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Should I buy a tilt Bluetooth hydrometer? And does anyone else have one ? I keep seeing good reviews but it seems expensive to spend the money

To me it's just a solution looking for a problem. I rarely take more than 3 hydrometer readings, and I don't need to know what the gravity is/was every minute, hour or day. Once before pitching, and (depending on the brew) next in 7-14 days, and maybe another before kegging if it wasn't ready yet.

Ok , Thanks for the response, I am new to home brew and having trouble reading the hydrometer, I should do more research on my end

I use one in almost every batch and like the info it provides. I don't trust the absolute reading the Tilt provides, as usually there's krausen caked on it throwing the reading off. If I want an accurate reading a hydrometer is still my go-to. However it is nice to see the rate of change of fermentation as you can tell when the OG stops moving (when fermentation done). Internal temperature of the wort is nice to have as well, I was surprised at how much some yeast can make the wort temperature climb above ambient temperatures when I first starting using the Tilt.

IMO if you're new to brewing there's better places to invest in equipment than a Tilt. If you're good on equipment and looking to spend a bit on a nice toy the Tilt is for you :)

Ok thanks! For the information I am glad I joined the home brew talk here everyone is very knowledgeable hopefully I can make great beer like you guys one day 🤗

I like mine for the fact I dont have to open the fermenter to to take gravity readings and it works great for see if fermentation is done early iv had a couple brews be done a week.

I use one in almost every batch and like the info it provides. I don't trust the absolute reading the Tilt provides, as usually there's krausen caked on it throwing the reading off. If I want an accurate reading a hydrometer is still my go-to. However it is nice to see the rate of change of fermentation as you can tell when the OG stops moving (when fermentation done). Internal temperature of the wort is nice to have as well, I was surprised at how much some yeast can make the wort temperature climb above ambient temperatures when I first starting using the Tilt.

IMO if you're new to brewing there's better places to invest in equipment than a Tilt. If you're good on equipment and looking to spend a bit on a nice toy the Tilt is for you :)
Agree with that. Theres probably a few pieces of equipment that will help you more than a tilt.

I'm excited to try my tilt out, but its definitely more of a gadget than a needed piece of equipment. I love compiling data and what not, and have all sorts of plans for it. I figure it'll come in handy for lager ferments and timing my dry hop with a few points to spare.

I like mine for the fact I dont have to open the fermenter to to take gravity readings and it works great for see if fermentation is done early iv had a couple brews be done a week.

And for seeing what the temp is, it does that too. To know whether you cooled it enough or to know for sure if an area you think is 70 degrees is really 70 degrees. You might be surprised.

If you get one, make sure you calibrate it. They are supposed to be calibrated at the factory but mine was not. Also understand that you will need to have a dedicated phone or tablet with their app on it in range of the Tilt at all times to do dedicated logging. And the app has to be open and front - no screen saver, etc. I am using an old iphone 4S that I had been keeping around for a music player.

Not a necessary piece of equipment, but definitely cool to watch your beer ferment in real time and know what’s going on. The little chart the software produces is cool too.

I wouldn't pay full retail but I found a used a Tilt 2 for sale for under $100 and bought it. On the plus side I really like being able to continuously track the fermentation progress. On the negative side I use stainless steel conical fermenters and that inhibits the range of the Tilt. I ferment in the basement and I either have to be in the same room or upstairs right above the thing or it won't connect.

Back