I need a way to extend this tap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bullhog

Reaction score
So, I was hoping you all might be able to give me some ideas here. I have a traveling picnic tap that I hook up to my ball lock kegs and it works great! I decided to use it on a commercial keg, so I bought a sanke coupler and converted it to accept ball lock connections. Problem is that the tap is not tall enough to fill a glass because the keg shell gets in the way. As I see it there are two ways to fix this. I can some how extend the tap connection to the sanke coupler making it taller, or I could extend the faucet shank wide enough to clear the sides of the keg shell. Making it taller seems like the better choice. Problem is, I am not sure how to accomplish this. Any ideas?

On a side note, I am really bad at explaining myself so please ask for clarification, I also tried to make a pic of the setup.

Attachments

• Tap setup.jpg
    Tap setup.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 55
It seems to me the easiest solution would be to get a longer shank, if they are available for that configuration. It looks like it must have a female flare on the side nearest the keg, which is unusual I think.

If they don't have a longer shank for that you can slide a piece of tubing into the faucet . That will give you some room to be able to pour a full glass

If they don't have a longer shank for that you can slide a piece of tubing into the faucet . That will give you some room to be able to pour a full glass
I was thinking about that, while it would work, it's not sexy enough.

Well I've come up with two options. One is to use shut off valves. Thats the only thing I can find that is straight beer thread female to male. I can use 1 or more to get as mush distance as I want. The other option is to use 90 degree elbows. I ordered some valves as I would rather it be taller than wider, hopefully its not too annoying and still has the stainless steel wow factor.

There's another option, which also isn't very sexy but it's what I use; I forget what the part is called, but it's a barb connector in a swivel fitting that fits on the ball-lock inlet thingy. Connect them together with a picnic tap with about 5 feet of tubing, and there you have it. I dunno, but wouldn't just placing a tap on top of a keg, with no line to reduce the foam, foam like a b*tch if you pour from it? Smurter peeple than me, please comment? If this would work I would like to get a similar setup for field trips if I ever get a sanke keg.

Seatazz, I didn't mention it, but in that photo, the ball lock part is actually a flow reduction valve. Its does a really decent job of not needing tubing to reduce foaming. You get really nice pours with it. Just foams for a few seconds on initials pours as most all taps do that are not cooled.

Well I've come up with two options. One is to use shut off valves. Thats the only thing I can find that is straight beer thread female to male. I can use 1 or more to get as mush distance as I want. The other option is to use 90 degree elbows. I ordered some valves as I would rather it be taller than wider, hopefully its not too annoying and still has the stainless steel wow factor.

The adapter I linked above is "beer thread" female to male. This thread is -4 JIC.

Honestly, while everyone seems hell-bent on re-inventing the wheel, it seems to me one could easily just tilt the glass and fill it just fine...

Cheers!

jddevinn, "beer thread" as far aside have learned today (I could be wrong), is the threaded part of the sanke tap. Its almost an inch wide, just a tad less, it also doesn't have the flare at the end. What you sent might work for the shank area though, but I really prefer it taller than wider, because a half barrel keg is so wide that extending the shank would really start to test the durability of the sanke coupler.

Honestly, while everyone seems hell-bent on re-inventing the wheel, it seems to me one could easily just tilt the glass and fill it just fine...

Cheers!
Tllt glass is a half full glass...

Back