I messed up big time, but will this work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HebrewedsoIbrew

Reaction score
I brewed a hard root beer batch with some of muntons ale yeast, the ABV is around 6.5% to 7%, and I believe I've reached the alcohol tolerance because it will not bottle carb, it's been sitting on my counter for almost 2 and a half weeks and it's still flat as ever, I have some danstar nottingham yeast and I was thinking of throwing a small amount of it into each of the bottles, will this fix my problem and carbonate my beer? any help would be greatly appreciated!

6.5% to 7% is pretty low, most yeast strains can handle more.
Have you measured your final gravity? maybe there is not Enough sugar left to carbonate?
Just looked it up, muntons ale yeast has an alcohol tolerance of 10%
typically when brewing beer, you have to add priming sugar prior to bottling to carbonate. assuming you finished fermentation.

6.5% to 7% is pretty low, most yeast strains can handle more.
Have you measured your final gravity? maybe there is not Enough sugar left to carbonate?
Just looked it up, muntons ale yeast has an alcohol tolerance of 10%
typically when brewing beer, you have to add priming sugar prior to bottling to carbonate. assuming you finished fermentation.
Oh yeah it was way done with fermentation, I threw it half a cup of cane sugar and 1/3 cup of molasses in it before I bottled so there's plenty of sugar in there, maybe it just needs more time?

I brewed a hard root beer batch with some of muntons ale yeast, the ABV is around 6.5% to 7%, and I believe I've reached the alcohol tolerance because it will not bottle carb, it's been sitting on my counter for almost 2 and a half weeks and it's still flat as ever, I have some danstar nottingham yeast and I was thinking of throwing a small amount of it into each of the bottles, will this fix my problem and carbonate my beer? any help would be greatly appreciated!

Are the bottles in the sunlight? I always put mine away in a dark closet.

Are the bottles in the sunlight? I always put mine away in a dark closet.

Crap, they're not directly in sunlight, but there's still lots of light coming through the windows, I'll move em to a darker spot. Would this all stop them from bottle carbing properly?

EDIT okay so I pitched some of the same yeast into the bottles a few days ago and popped one of the bottles this morning, and it had a small amount of decent carbonation, so I think it might of solved my problem, I'll keep you posted, I appreciate your help good sir!

Back