I made a yeast mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MULE

Reaction score
Well this is what I get for drinking and brewing.

I just made some more of Ed's Apple Wine and accidently used the yeast that I needed to brew my APA. So, that leaves me with Montrachet yeast for my APA.

I am at the point of no return in the brewing process to stop.

Can any one tell me what the possible outcome will be from switching the yeasts.

APA = Montrachet
Apple Wine = Coopers Brewers Yeast

I feel like a dumb a$$

Hey, this is how great new beers get invented sometimes. :D

"Oops, I spilled oatmeal in the mash for my stout. hey, wait a minute...."

I suspect the final gravity on the APA will be high. Montrachet isn't much for complex sugars.

FINAL gravity young grassahoppa.

He means that the montrichet might not eat up all the complex sugar in the malt. I think you'll be fine and dandy though.....may want to try and harvest some out of the apfelwein....it's like a big starter at this point. Just suck some right off the bottom, add it to your apa with the Montrichet!

call it a house blend yeast strain.

You know

The really sh1tty part about this whole thing is that my APA was a SN clone from AHS. I was really looking forward to it. In the end, I will have beer. Live and learn...

You harvest some of that apple yeast....you'll have really good beer.

Smile, and thank the 3 sisters of fate for your folly. You'll have plenty of time to make clone beer later....right now you have OPPORTUNITY!

I'm just happy to fill my carboy's up with the goodness. It's been a few months since I touched the brew pot.

I'm glad to be back into it.

are you harvesting that yeast yet?

I'm serious....I'm going to feel very let down if you don't do it.

I'll have to wait at least a month to harvest. My APA is already in the 6 and half making love to all that Montrachet.

I'm seriously wanting to make an apple beer after this and hearing about BK topping up his beer with Apfelwien in another thread.

I'm seriously wanting to make an apple beer after this and hearing about BK topping up his beer with Apfelwien in another thread.

all I can say...Apple Blond.

7# American 2 row
Extract =(3.3# Pale LME + 1.5# DME)
1# Crystal 20L
1 oz hallertu (60 Minute)
1 oz Kent Golding at flame out
2#'s of apples chunked up
2 gallons of juice.

For the Ag method, boil off 2 gallons then add back the juice at the very end of the boil, for the extract method, use the pure apple juice right into the fermentor.

This would be a good time to use that Windsor yeast you've been saving.

I've had to clean the airlock off of the Apfelwein three times already. I suspect that when I get home from work today, I'll have to clean it again. I'm using a five gallon carboy for it.

The APA is doing fine. Not much K on top of the beer.

I bottled both batches yesterday.

The Apfelwein is great, but the jury is out on the pale ale. BTW - The pale ale FG was a bit high as it finished out at a 1.02.

I ripped into a six pack of the apfelwein last night. Gooood stuff. I guess the Coopers yeast turned out to be a really good thing.

I tried the Montrachet APA this weekend. I am not a fan. It has that Belgian(y) taste I don't like.

SWMBO's family really likes the stuff so I guess that's a plus.

Back