I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have no idea why I share my life here. Probably the anonymity Plus brotherhood

Who better to share your experiences and problems with people on the Internet?

I've noticed since I've joined here a strong sense of community...yes we're all beer lovers and Brewers but many many people share the same views, experiences and attitudes towards life.

Personally, I don't have many friends that are brewers, hell I don't have many friends to begin with a small circle if you even want to call it that ...they enjoy drinking the fruits of my labor and I'll always invite them to brew but when I want to shoot the stuff on beer I come here.

You late nighters are a very insightful group I don't post much here but constantly reading and contributing when I can/if it's relevant.

I guess my point @Dan is this...why not share your experiences here on HBT? Think about it this way...even if you affect one person...just one and maybe you don't even know about it...your life and experiences brings greater validity to the world.

Cheers to you! And keep sharing!

A friend said these words. They are humble and powerful.

Look in the mirror & see all of yourself. Accept and love who you are and maybe in that moment you could understand and love humanity.

Thanks Dan I greatly appreciate that.

Since we are in the sharing mood I have been having trouble sleeping...first kid on the way in T-Minus 21 days (due date end of the month).

Getting anxious for his arrival. The nursery is all done and stacked with clothes, diapers...you name it he has it.

We found out a few months ago that he does have a heart problem...the aortic valve is narrow so they will have to use a balloon to open it up...they use a catheter that they will put through his umbilical cord to open it...they also see a curving of the valve...they are probably going to have to repair that too...small incision under his left arm cut out the bad part and tie everything up.

I'm scared to death...but we have some of the best docs on the east coast that are going to work on him so I take some solace in that. It's a scary, exciting time but I can't wait to be a father!

Sammy I truly understand your concern but heart surgeons are miraculous. Twenty three years ago my daughter was born. There was something wrong though. She didn't gain weight, she slept a lot, even more than babies do. We took her to the doc, he thought it was a cold at first. But it wasn't. After about a week he started changing his mind about the cold. He referred us to UCLA Medical center, to a cardiologist with full on ambulance ride and all (for her).

I'll try and make a long story short. They found out she had a coarctation of the aorta. (The narrowing) and a VSD, ventricular septal defect (a hole between the ventricals). Now that I think about it she also had an ASD, atrium septal defect.

She had her first open heart surgery at 4 weeks old. It was scary. At one point before the first operation, a priest came to the hospital room and pretty much gave her last rites.

Once the surgery was over the doctor told us she was so tiny (I think around 4lbs) that they couldn't complete the entire surgery. I remember he said she's just skin and bones and he'll have to wait a year or until she weighed 20lbs. They did a temp fix. Banded the pulmonary artery so the blood returning to her lungs was reduced flow so her heart didn't have to work so pushing the normal full volume though a restricted aorta. They also put her on a couple drugs, one to make her heart beat slower- digitalis. I forget the other one. The band around the pulmonary artery made her heart buzz. Literally. If you listened with a stethoscope you didn't really hear a beat as much as you heard a buzz as the blood velocity speed up through the restrictive band. Like when you bend a garden hose over to slow the flow.

A year later Sammy. She went back to surgery. They fixed her aorta, removed the PA band and fixed the holes in her heart And she came off all meds. She was in and out of the hospital in no time.

That was twenty three years ago and when she was born they didn't even know about her conditions. She's fine today.

I know you're going to worry. Just know these surgeons are amazing and I'd imagine technology is even better now than when my daughter had surgery.

Cheers brother!

Ps I'm absolutely not a doctor. My memory of the medical terminology could be not accurate. I'll leave that for the experts. But my daughter is alive and healthy today born with congenitive heart failure. Your son is in good hands with the cardiac surgeons.

Last edited:
This thread has been a little quiet lately. Since I was the last to post before the lull I can't help but feel some of that topic put people off, plus it went against policy. I deleted some comments

Let me make it up and get a little lighter. The cascade hops we planted are doing okay. I should input pic here but don't have one. They didn't take long to get going and are now growing good I think. They're at about the top of a 25 foot run. Not sure what happens next. I think I'll try to redirect them back down, before they take the roof! [emoji1]

What's up late niters? Boom, where'd you all go? Dan and I are keeping the fort safe while you all are out hunting.

For your late night soundtrack, the late Andy Kaufmann channeling Mighty Mouse.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-wUe5aEwHM[/ame]

Hello late nighters, some good news from the Sammy household...my son was born on Sunday night! 6 lbs 11oz 20 inches long!

He had his procedure done today and it's looking good so far! The Mrs. And I are very relieved and upbeat about his progress!

He's stuck in NICU for now but the docs say if everything goes to plan he should be out by next week!

Here's a pic:

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1470802987.685292.jpg

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to vent and Dan for sharing your story and kind words!

Congratulations to your family's new addition! A beautiful baby Love the pic, his eyes wide open looking into life, looks like he thinking Wow! I'm ready to get rock'n Poppa

Cheers my friend [emoji1]

Who better to share your experiences and problems with people on the

Personally, I don't have many friends that are brewers, hell I don't have many friends to begin with a small circle if you even want to call it that ...they enjoy drinking the fruits of my labor and I'll always invite them to brew but when I want to shoot the stuff on beer I come

Cheers to you! And keep sharing!

I have many, many Acquaintances, but no real friends.
I am the only brewer I know and aside from my neighbor the only person who drinks my homebrew or IPA.
Without this forum I wouldn't have anyone to relate to (except the beard part)!

I sort of had a nuclear meltdown at work yesterday. Long story short, I submitted a letter of resignation and gave it directly to the head of the company here in Hawaii. Talked to her for maybe an hour and told her why. That's a long story but she listened and we talked. At the end of the conversation she asked me to take the letter back. I did. I went back to work, this was around 11am.

Around noon I got called in to the Director of Maintenance (DOM) office along with my supervisor and department head. I was fed up and angry. I work very hard, my coworkers do too. We are a great team but the supervisors are nothing but locals whose supervising style is about a step above prison guard mentality. Lucky for me the DOM isn't like that. We had a long sit down, 3 hours plus. I vented a lot. My supervisor was in the room for the first half. I told them everything I could think of that the employees are angry about. I was hot but civil and spoke with respect.

Today I talked to my supervisor about the things I brought up he said Dan I'm thinking about what you said and I smile because it's what we are (employees) all thinking but everybody is afraid to say. I told him I don't even remember everything I said but I was fed up and the words rolled easily but I probably made a fool of myself. He said no you spoke very well, you covered everything. And you were blatantly honest with tact. It was the truth. My supervisor is younger than me but a very good strong person. I know he has been documenting the wrongs this company has done. He's a good leader. Truly. He has been in this industry almost as long as I served the navy. Only way I can relate that - he'd be a Chief Petty Officer at least in the Navy, maybe higher

The next half was just me and the DOM talking. It was eye opening for both of us. Today I saw the DOM and thanked him for his time, he truly is very busy guy. He thanked me for my inputs. We shook hands. It wasn't a bs handshake it was sincere. On both sides. As today played out I learned they held a managers meeting because of my temper tantrum (I'm humble, in retrospect it was. They didn't call it that I am)

Some of the problems I brought out were addressed immediately. I'm a team player, a life as a serviceman ingrained that. I'm also a leader even if I no longer want a leadership job. It's not something that goes away easily. If that sounds like I'm blowing my own horn, it might be, I'm not sure. I just hope I've made a difference in a good, positive way

Cheers!l

Yesterday was my last day working with my D-Bag coworker. I have had to endure 7 years of his aspie, semi-sociopathic behavior.
I found myself in this job because it was a promotion, and at the time any pay raise was worth the hassle.
However years into this I questioned my decision.
I don't not realize until years later that DB is most likely on the spectrum and unaware of any condition he may have. He is 55, lives alone and in the 15 years I have known him from being in the same dept, he has had zero out of work relationships.
Any way to any one else in the office he is quirky. He tells the same jokes over and over. He tells the same stories about something he did 25 years ago.
He is social and was nice to everyone else he did not directly work with. To my manager, supervisor and myself he was nice as long as we agreed with him. When we did not agree with him he threw tantrums and would draw the issue out for days and weeks. finally threatening to turn my case work into the inspector general. Due to this threat my case work was sent up and down to the highest level of management and legal and to ensure that he had no basis, and I was correct. My work was fine and followed through on the intent of the regulation to why my job is guided!
When that did not work he went to the FBI and accused user management of perpetrating fraud. This of course meant us peons had to do all the leg work and speak to investigators.
after months nothing has come of the investigation, mostly because it is a false allegation.
DB never openly told the rest of the office how he belittles us for not agreeing with him, never told them how he falsely accused us.
So we are left with a core group of people who are aware of the true nature.
DB passed off his action to the rest of office as being a whistleblower against managements fraud, he championed himself to them as speaking his mind, which was why management did not like him. DB joked about his loud volume as passion, not inability to respect that others had to work around him.
Since management was aware of his mild racism, xenophobia, homophobia and overall difficult behavior they looked to me as the bright light in the program. I became the person who was following orders to implement the program and carry on as directed, which further got DB ticked off.

leading into his retirement, officemates all wished him well. I remained in different and kept doing my work. He checked out about a month ago and I have been most of the work since.
Coworkers wished him well and talked about his post retirement plans, heading to NYC alone to sit and eat at the bars of fancy restaurants, alone!

On my final day I had discussed with SWMBO how to handle the good bye. Do I shake his hand, wish him well?
Do I remind him how I was right and beat him on the XYZ case???
Do I say nothing and just walk out?

SWMBO really advised the high road, after all she has a better moral compass than I do. After all SWMBO is just a better person than I am.
However on the last day, DB is talking to another officemate. They discuss his pending retirement and what he will miss. DB could not just let it go, he had to disparage my supervisor who had was out on bereavement leave, having suddenly lost her husband.
DB just had to make mysogynistic comments about our supervisor, because 6 months ago she had to write him up because he was belittling a tax payer over the phone with disparaging remarks, among other things.

Anyway, 5 pm came about and it was time to leave. I could not bring myself to shake the hand, I guess I could not take the high road.
I pretended I was busy with work, as I usually am. I then locked my computer and grabbed my bag and started walking out. I mumbled, "see you monday", to which DB said good bye, but I was already down the hall before I could here the rest.
While SWMBO was disappointed I did not take the high road, I had to tell her that once you napalm a bridge, you don't deserve the high road!
but now it is done, it is over.
And I get to move on in peace!
:tank:

I sort of had a nuclear meltdown at work yesterday. Long story short, I submitted a letter of resignation and gave it directly to the head of the company here in Hawaii. Talked to her for maybe an hour and told her why. That's a long story but she listened and we talked. At the end of the conversation she asked me to take the letter back. I did. I went back to work, this was around 11am.

Around noon I got called in to the Director of Maintenance (DOM) office along with my supervisor and department head. I was fed up and angry. I work very hard, my coworkers do too. We are a great team but the supervisors are nothing but locals whose supervising style is about a step above prison guard mentality. Lucky for me the DOM isn't like that. We had a long sit down, 3 hours plus. I vented a lot. My supervisor was in the room for the first half. I told them everything I could think of that the employees are angry about. I was hot but civil and spoke with respect.

Today I talked to my supervisor about the things I brought up he said Dan I'm thinking about what you said and I smile because it's what we are (employees) all thinking but everybody is afraid to say. I told him I don't even remember everything I said but I was fed up and the words rolled easily but I probably made a fool of myself. He said no you spoke very well, you covered everything. And you were blatantly honest with tact. It was the truth. My supervisor is younger than me but a very good strong person. I know he has been documenting the wrongs this company has done. He's a good leader. Truly. He has been in this industry almost as long as I served the navy. Only way I can relate that - he'd be a Chief Petty Officer at least in the Navy, maybe higher

The next half was just me and the DOM talking. It was eye opening for both of us. Today I saw the DOM and thanked him for his time, he truly is very busy guy. He thanked me for my inputs. We shook hands. It wasn't a bs handshake it was sincere. On both sides. As today played out I learned they held a managers meeting because of my temper tantrum (I'm humble, in retrospect it was. They didn't call it that I am)

Some of the problems I brought out were addressed immediately. I'm a team player, a life as a serviceman ingrained that. I'm also a leader even if I no longer want a leadership job. It's not something that goes away easily. If that sounds like I'm blowing my own horn, it might be, I'm not sure. I just hope I've made a difference in a good, positive way

Cheers!l

Good on you Dan. I tell my wife all the time that I'm tired of workers being afraid of the corporate "don't think or speak up or you'll be fired" mentality. I have been fired in the past for speaking up about grievances at a job but I just figured if they are going to fire me for that then I don't want to work there anyways. I'm glad to hear you must work for a good place that took you seriously.

It must be hard working with a large group of people. We used to have about six employees and I swear it was nearly the death of me trying to keep everyone happy. It's just my brother and me now. We do better financially and there is barely any stress anymore.

i fire myself nearly every morning for being late or drinking the night before but by the end of the day I make up for it and manage to get some work done.

It takes good managers on all levels to make a big outfit work.

Good evening hbt. Just found this post. I am always on late night during the weekends. I see the most recent talk is about jobs. I just recently started a new job. I left a small business. The owner was getting older and I didn't work well with his son. An opportunity came up and I just started with a new company. I hope it works out well.

I wish I had something to say about brewing. It's been so darn hot this summer that I haven't brewed since early June. My next brew will be "common room". Looks like a winner. I have only been brewing for 8 months and haven't tried to make an ESB yet.

Woohoo! It's Friday!!! Oops no it's not its Saturday [emoji1][emoji1]. We worked today. Just the service crew. It was a long day but fun. No brass around, just a Field Supervisor who is a very good dude and us maintenance guys and the girls of dispatch. We completed quite a lot of work for a small crew. Lunch time we all had lunch together which is rare. Pizza, funny stories and laughter. Then we went back to work and actually finished up on time for once. Working hours were 08-1700. I clocked out at 1659[emoji1]

Pyg and Sfgoat right on brothers! Ischiavo I want to come be your apprentice, especially if I can get fired each day for your own reasons but make it up by the end of the day. Hahaha

Cheers fellas! To the working man!

I'd like to point out one more thing about my meltdown story. From the time my coworkers start work till the time we leave its constant movement. Were scheduled for every minute of the workday. Not like other jobs I've had where sometimes work was slow and I had time to kill. This job is rarely an eight hour day, we get tons of overtime because even if we complete our schedule in 8 there's things that come up that still need finished immediately.

The day I ranted I used up 4 hours that I should have been actively working. I got no overtime that day. My teammates took up the slack without question, with no hard feelings. I called each of them at the end of the day and thanked them for taking up my slack. They were all humble about it. No worries Dan.

That's one of the things I like about the department I work in. We are a team, a family. We take care of each other; when another person gets behind, or takes a sick day but is fully scheduled, we come together as a team and get the job done. I'll be honest, this job is the hardest, cheapest paying one I've worked in many years but the most job satisfaction I've felt in a long time. It's good to be part of a great team once again.

I hear that Dan. The company I'm with pays a bit less than industry standard but I work with the greatest group of people I've ever worked with and that's with a few extra dollars an hour to me. At the end of the day work is work but the people you work with will make or break you.

Dan,

Crazy story! I've always been one to speak my mind at a job...as sfgoat said what's the worse they can do fire me? I've found in my short experience with the corporate world that middle and upper management no longer remember what it was like on the bottom in the trenches fighting for every inch every day.

They are more concerned with their budgets and numbers and only want the job to get done. They either don't remember or care to remember in some cases which is really sad. Keep fighting the good fight brother!

In other news, my little one is currently on a 2-3 sleep schedule...hence why I am up posting in this thread. Got a nice 4 hour nap in this afternoon though while he slept on my chest...beautiful moment.

Howdy late niters. Hope your Friday nite is going as planned. It's a long week. I'm repairing a washing machine at the moment, and I hope none of you are doing that.

For your late nite soundtrack, I thought of Sammy. Sammy Davis Jr, actually. One of my faves. How strange the change from major to minor - what a great a line. Chet Baker's version is great for an instrumental, and this is my favorite vocal by far.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doqO8jMLNpY[/ame]

Good evening Pappy,
Beautiful song. Truly reminds me of the loss I felt every time I had to say goodbye to my kids, even now though they're all grow 'd up its tough. We're spread out across the country each living, earning their income. Making their way in life. Something about my Dawson branch of the family unlike my brothers and sister. We are spread out. In my " perfect" world my son and two daughters and me would live in the same town.

It's good that at least there are so many ways these days to keep in touch.

One part of son and DIL, Danny and Niki are artistic souls. Dan with his music and woodwork and Niki with painting. Together they put this together, (Danny didn't build the guitar, I m not saying that.) He donated one of his guitars, broke it down. Said here honey go for it. After that he provided encouragement and recommendations and some finish coats . Once she's finished he'll put the guitar back together,get it tuned up and let his creatively flow playing the guitar they customized together. I think that's very cool

Angry words can waste a life
Mine or another's they bring on strife
The cost can be very dear when tempers fly and there is no cheer
Don't take my kindness
as a weakness
Is a phrase Ive heard before
But kindness is not a chore
And what a difference it can make
Here in the expanding Aloha state
At one time the nicest drivers
Now a battlefield for bad poltergeistist
This funky poem is not about traffic
It is about kindness, understanding and respect for each other
Because like it or not we're all sisters and brothers
Ok what? There's no disputes in family
Well not in all but for some it's reality
I'd like to share something I might have before

No rhyme next. This comes from a Sheriff in California. I talked to the sheriff about evicting a tenant. The sheriff was fully supportive. Somehow these words came next. I'm not sure she made them up or quoted; either way, very powerful

"Look in the mirror; see all of yourself. Accept and love who you are and maybe in that moment you could understand and love humanity". Sheriff Montoya, Kings County

If anybody wonders about the tenants eviction. It's on hold. His family stepped up. His very trustworthy brother ( with a great credit score) and a guy I've known for years is putting his name on the lease. I did the same for my daughter's first apartment, my son's first car. It's about trust. Credit score seems to give a decent beginning when you put your self, your stuff for sale, rent out there. It isn't perfect though time will. Tell if this deal goes wrong.

As for tonight my mind and heart I'll sleep okay

If anybody wonders about the tenants eviction. It's on hold. His family stepped up. His very trustworthy brother ( with a great credit score) and a guy I've known for years is putting his name on the lease. I did the same for my daughter's first apartment, my son's first car. It's about trust. Credit score seems to give a decent beginning when you put your self, your stuff for sale, rent out there. It isn't perfect though time will. Tell if this deal goes wrong.

As for tonight my mind and heart I'll sleep okay

Been a while since I stopped in. Thought I would catch up. Hang in there Dan. Having the brother step up for him can be good news. Having a good credit score can be a thing of pride and he should make sure payments are made on time. Credit is one of the contributing factors of me renting out my house. Well, that and the D-bag test. Glad to see that all you late nighters are still well. Cheers!

Cheers DJ
Cheers ChefRex
Cheers to the late night crew
Cheers to all
Cheers to all
All of us are great and small
I have a Tshirt that says Unanimity
Not sure that's a real word or not
It's a big deal to me
Oh do you see
All of us are one big knurly knot
[emoji9]

Ken, I'm missing your long winded tales of the green grass and crops and all good. Cheers! Please start writing again!

Every things going to be right
As long as there's sunshine; a big old brew
And little o' you
Who sung that' in a movie?

Thank You! Can't wait to try it! I'll drop the agreement and a check for the past due rent in the mail tomorrow.For the record. Zombie to me

It's good to be meeting . I read my last couple post and haves no idea what I was talking about. Pretty sure I an Alheimers to candidat

Not really. iPhone wants to updates every
Day. In the mean times they're GDingb
Me from writing without sounding like dam nigiit

Back