I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dan, stay on your present course. You're a good man and more good things will find you. You're a good friend even though we have never met. I think about you even when I am away from HBT. I'm glad to find you here and I'll be very upset if someday I don't.

So, me and the boys are building a fort out of pallets. I picked up 20 of them today and we cleared a nice little spot in the woods in the back yard. Its going to be cool. I'll post some pics soon. They loose interest in our projects so quick though. I end up doing 90% of it usually. I wonder sometimes if I am doing something wrong or if I should just expect that from my kids. I guess if I think back, I was always bored with everything my dad wanted me to help him with when I was their age.

I think I need to build things. I have a hundred unfinished projects but that never stops me from starting a new one. I guess it keeps me motivated and relatively sane knowing I have "things" to do.

I'll be on my brother's roof tomorrow. We're doing a Yooper insulated double roof on his house. I did mine 8 years ago and nearly cut my heat bill in half. "My" projects will wait. I will always help my brother if he needs it. The weather looks just fine for roofing anyway.

Hope you all have a great weekend and 4th!

Greetings late nite denizens!

The following song came on my Pandora station just a few minutes ago, but a different artist. I knew there was a different version of it I liked better. I searched youtube, it was good old JC of course!

For your listening pleasure, the man in black, Johnny Cash. He's so flat (musical note-wise), but I like it anyway.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGrR-7_OBpA[/ame]

For your late nite sountrack, Sons of the Pioneers. Marty Robbins did it too, that's the one I'm familiar with, but this was the first thing I saw when I looked up your tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDtCa8ZgAk4

Sons of the Pioneers....Wow does that bring back memories of my dad. Songs from a simpler time. He loved those guys and I think he has a couple albums hidden away in the basement. Thanks for a chance to recharge some great memories.

Miss Exstrand

She was my first grade teacher in 1970. I think she was at least 200 years old.

I think we all have some memorable exchanges with our past teachers. I personally learned it is a terrible idea to throw the eraser back at the nun. White chalk on a black habit stays there for the rest of the period. That one earned me a trip to the bathroom for some attitude adjustment with a yard stick.

My mom made my dad attend the special conference with my third grade teach, "Cannonball" Calvert. Afterward on the way to the car, he leans over an says, "You know she is a battleaxe, don't ya?" I just nodded not knowing what a battleaxe was, but it sounded like an appropriate comment at the time.

Take care Dan

Hey all! You guys make my day. Thanks for the kind words; all of you.

Ischiavo, you know I'll always be here. If you weren't , I'd loose a very good buddy. Even if we've never met in person it's good; I'm blessed to have friends of your character. Yooper, I never met her but feel connected. I think you know her a little better. She once told me you built her electric kettle. That's so cool! Please send pics of that tree house build! Pallets! It's the new wheel.

Opus, thank you for sharing Thank you for the warm wishes and strength.

Pappy, as always, you keep coming back as my rock.

Cheers my brothers!
Dan

I played the video ( it worked Hooray!) with my eyes closed. Thought cool sounding trio. Just watched again. One guy!!

Very cool

Good evening fine folks. I just rode my mower for an hour with some tunes jammin in the headphones and I had a few beers along for the ride. Therapeutic it is I think. I feel good. Ready for a cool shower and bed.

Friday, we're going to see Tim Allen. The weekend was my father's day gift. I think it will be a great time. I just have to try to not think of all the other things I should be doing...

Good evening fine folks. I just rode my mower for an hour with some tunes jammin in the headphones and I had a few beers along for the ride. Therapeutic it is I think. I feel good. Ready for a cool shower and bed.

Friday, we're going to see Tim Allen. The weekend was my father's day gift. I think it will be a great time. I just have to try to not think of all the other things I should be doing...

I do lawn work all weekend. It is therapeutic!

I miss Saturday's working in my yard back in Cali, I could spend the better part of the day fiddling around. Most the time I loved it, there was so much to do

Now my yard is tiny! I bought an old timey reel mower for the yards here. It's quiet since no motor. [emoji28].

I cut my hand open pretty good at work today. Eleven stitches. Freak mishap. Tomorrow have to sit down at a safety review board. Good on the company I work for. I guess they care. I just hate the idea it will become another safety lecture topic.

An employer expects people to be perfect and work in an imperfectly safe work environment.

That's 1 and 1

Must be true

But I don't really believe that

I believe in my crew

I cut my hand open pretty good at work today. Eleven stitches. Freak mishap. Tomorrow have to sit down at a safety review board. Good on the company I work for. I guess they care. I just hate the idea it will become another safety lecture topic.

An employer expects people to be perfect and work in an imperfectly safe work environment.

That's 1 and 1

Must be true

But I don't really believe that

I believe in my crew

11 is my lucky number Dan. So, I think you're going to gain 5 mph on your fastball after it heals.

I've been renovating bathrooms in my house. This is what I do between the end of my work day and hitting the forum with you guys.

Finished one around Christmas, looks great. Working on #2 right now. It's about 75% done. Removed wallpaper, textured painted walls, new LED light fixtures throughout, built a arched entrance thing over tub, layed/grouted/sealed travertine, new everything. Things left to do: Finish drop-in tub ( wood paneling in front, ivory travertine on top, install roman faucet, case arched window). Replace shower door. Finish baseboards / mouldings. Mirrors. I've got curved polyurathane moulding for that arched window, but I'm not glueing that up til I get the tub in.

Wife has been very patient. Working on this stuff in the evenings is slow going.

_mg_1358-67415.jpg

_mg_1540-67416.jpg

_mg_1351-67418.jpg

_mg_1538-67417.jpg

_mg_1539-67419.jpg

We should have a late night party in your yard. I would appreciate your work.

Post a pic of your yard. I'll show you mine.

Just posted a couple of pics here. I bought 12 of these cool solar lamps that I'm hanging high in the trees behind my house. Very very cool effect at night when the trees are full of these lamps with simulated candles in them, all 20' up in the air. I'll get a pick and post here, I think you'd appreciate it.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=7632848&postcount=19

Nice work Pappy. I love the arch work. Something very amazing about arches they're inviting and comforting. Bring a whole different feeling to a room.
Cheers!

Just posted a couple of pics here. I bought 12 of these cool solar lamps that I'm hanging high in the trees behind my house. Very very cool effect at night when the trees are full of these lamps with simulated candles in them, all 20' up in the air. I'll get a pick and post here, I think you'd appreciate it.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=7632848&postcount=19

Wow. Beautiful. The tropical foliage is so different than what I'm used to. I really don't do much more than cut grass and trim trees in my yard. I love it but just don't have enough time for proper gardening although I always have planted a garden and herbs in pots.

Your bathroom remodel looks top notch. I just did a low budget facelift on one of ours not long ago. Bathroom renovations are so much more work than they appear to be. Gorgeous homestead inside and out from what I've seen!

My probably 30yo dryer crapped out today. Don't worry. I found parts. The last half dozen appliances we bought new have been piles of garbage. I hope I don't have to replace the dryer. It will cost me I'm sure as I've sworn off "cheap" appliances. I will have commercial grade with no computer boards to fail that cost half the price of the original appliance. Sorry. I'm pissed off at appliances.

I installed some film on our south bay window tonight. I'm a recovering perfectionist. I am having a beer now to settle my nerves. I got the film installation by the second piece. Seams are impossible! If this stuff actually works I'm going to have to find a bigger piece and do this over without the seams (the third seam actually is fine but far from invisible).

Hot and humid here today. I have a tiny little window shaker installed and run the furnace fan to circulate. I have a good dehumidifier in the basement. I guess it's working well enough for the few days a year we need cooling around here.

Yea, I've fixed every washer and dryer we've had so many times. Many times it's really easy. Just a month or two ago I replaced the thermastat, thermal fuse, and one of the drum roller wheels on the dryer. I replaced a valve on the washer about a year ago (that was an expensive part!). I usually either buy new parts on Sear's PartsDirect site, or I'll just buy an identical product used on craigslist and pull the parts out of it. Sometimes that latter option is cheaper (like when the $150 microwave generator died on our built-in microwave.

For your late nite soundtrack, John Prine and Illegal Smile
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmjnQjRvPUQ[/ame]

Yea, I've fixed every washer and dryer we've had so many times. Many times it's really easy. Just a month or two ago I replaced the thermastat, thermal fuse, and one of the drum roller wheels on the dryer. I replaced a valve on the washer about a year ago (that was an expensive part!). I usually either buy new parts on Sear's PartsDirect site, or I'll just buy an identical product used on craigslist and pull the parts out of it. Sometimes that latter option is cheaper (like when the $150 microwave generator died on our built-in microwave.

For your late nite soundtrack, John Prine and Illegal Smile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmjnQjRvPUQ

For whatever reason my wife thinks I'm more manly or something when I fix our appliances[emoji28][emoji1]. It's a win win deal.

In the mainland Sears Parts Direct might be a good deal but using them in Hawaii was uber expensive not just for shipping but for the part itself. I found Reliable Parts a better price than Sears D and cheaper quick shipping

A slight beer buzz bramble...ramble [emoji4]

I want to be able to quickly look at a tape measure and transform the little tick mark into to an accurate number.

A carpenter associate of mine once asked me if I could count off an inch in 1/16"s and of course the even sixteenth would be 1/8ths. I said sure, and I did but, won't say I didn't struggle a little switching, simplifying on the even sixteenth numbers.

Tonight I asked my wife if she remembered her times tables. I honestly thought she'd say "what are those?" She said of course she did and I rattled off a bunch. She nailed them all but one.

I was impressed! Rote memory is pretty cool. She learned that stuff as a kid before Hawaii even became a state. Well maybe she's not that old but was born in the Kingdom of Hawaii, not the state. But like we all did, she learned times tables young and many years later they are still ingrained deep into her memory.

Long ramble short. I'm going to teach myself to interpret without hardly thinking; the marks on a 1/32 scale. Might go for the... No forget that.

Can't we just go METRIC!

Howdy late nighters. Woke up late (early?) and can't get back to sleep so I thought this would be the appropriate thread to post in.

A slight beer buzz bramble...ramble [emoji4]

I want to be able to quickly look at a tape measure and transform the little tick mark into to an accurate number.

A carpenter associate of mine once asked me if I could count off an inch in 1/16"s and of course the even sixteenth would be 1/8ths. I said sure, and I did but, won't say I didn't struggle a little switching, simplifying on the even sixteenth numbers.

Tonight I asked my wife if she remembered her times tables. I honestly thought she'd say "what are those?" She said of course she did and I rattled off a bunch. She nailed them all but one.

I was impressed! Rote memory is pretty cool. She learned that stuff as a kid before Hawaii even became a state. Well maybe she's not that old but was born in the Kingdom of Hawaii, not the state. But like we all did, she learned times tables young and many years later they are still ingrained deep into her memory.

Long ramble short. I'm going to teach myself to interpret without hardly thinking; the marks on a 1/32 scale. Might go for the... No forget that.

Can't we just go METRIC!
Having spent many years as a fabricator, I'm fairly handy with a tape measure. Units of 1/16 are automatically recognized. Odd 1/32s will take me a second to calculate. Who's measuring that close anyway, amiright?? To hell with the 1/64s.

Times tables. Despite being a straight A student in the fourth grade, I really struggled with memorizing the times tables. Not sure why. I just had a hard time with it. Could have been the timed test. I don't do so well under extreme time pressure.

Of course, I did learn them and remember them to this day. We were only required to learn them to the elevens when I was in school. Twelves were extra credit, so I didn't bother. I had had enough of damn times tables!

Ironically enough and to tie it all back together, I learned my twelves later on in life. Guess how? Reading a tape measure! Twelve inches is a foot and I can pop them off easily up to 12 times12.

Fuq metric. I like feet and inches.

What's not to like? It's simple. It's clean.

I am "okay" with Imperial too. Have used it all my life. But it does require more "effort".

While I may prefer metric, my only real gripe is the number of occasions they are mixed. This bolt is 10mm for this cross brace. But that bolt for the fuse box housing is 5/16". One or the other dammit!

Over the hump day!

Hope all is well with the late nite crew.

I was drinking with my pals one night a long time ago in a bar that was filled bottom to top. I believe this was in NOLA. We were sitting in some sort of balcony seating area and I saw a guy on the first floor playing chess. He looked like Ernest Hemmingway. I left my pals and went down and played him and got killed, which is usually what happens. I learned afterwards he's a regular who just punishes the tourists dumb enough to sit at the table with him. I didn't care, chess is one of my favorite things.

For your late night soundtrack, a chess song. I don't think there has been any other pop song that intended, successfully or not, to make chess cool. Murray Head.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've spent some time in Thailand in my early twenties, Pattaya beach and more than a few nights in Bangkok. [emoji12]

Never knew the song was about chess, never heard the words that clearly. Just looked up the lyrics. Dang!

So, here I'll vent

I'm hardly a great man
I do my best I am Daniel
Son of John, my Dad once had a cocker spaniel
That dog wasfamily pet
In the winter days his slept on hay
Eventually

Wow...I don't even get that. It was after a few beers and bottle of red wine. Cab Sav

My thought this day

I am failibal to my good nature and patience. Some people respect me because I treat people with dignity and grace, and patience

Some see it as weakness.

I'm not sure anymore if my kindness is seen as weakness. I need to make (in my mind) a difficult business decision. Got to evict my tenant. I know him on a friend level. But he has screwed me on reliable rent payment for 8 months. And I live 2000 miles away. Not an easy task. I am a crappy business man. Now I'm paying for my patience. Literally.

You know how some people are connected through a handshake? Something primeval wonderful about that. It's almost like a kiss but on a manly, brotherly level

My kids are me We never say goodbye before we say "I love You", spent most of their lives away in the military

But still think my kids and w.r.t. I have a close relationship. We're thousands of miles apart. It's tough. I don't talk to them often enough. We all live in to them g to win the Lott often. Different time zones

BS excuse. I need to use weekend time to stay in contact

Waitin

Back