I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice job Ischiavo. Looks a bit wet outside. Wish we had rain...sigh. Don't remember the last time moisture fell from the sky.

Nice job Ischiavo. Looks a bit wet outside. Wish we had rain...sigh. Don't remember the last time moisture fell from the sky.

Thank you. Now to find the time to finish the rest of the bathroom...

It did actually rain today. I think my neglected deck makes it look wet. We are having great grass growing weather. I can tell you that. I can't keep up.

Don't lose hope Ischiavo. I don't think it has anything to do with balls. It's just something you have to make up your mind to do. I guess you just have to decide which you like more. Living or smoking. I choose life. This isn't the first time I've quit. The longest I've made it is 2 months. But it was agonizing from day one. It's different this time somehow, I really don't want one. Although I have been craving it from time to time. It's more annoying than it is torture this time. Anyway, here's a tune for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO you are right and mindset has a lot to do with it. If you treat it like toilet training a kid it can go much better. Reward yourself for reaching milestones (not with a smoke obviously). Put the money you would have spent on cigarettes into a jar and buy yourself something nice with it. Avoid your smoking friends during the first month or so if possible. Replace the habit with another, positive one. Be it exercise, stepping up your brewing, learning the guitar or origami or something. Do not let yourself get bored or else your fingers/lungs will get itchy for another puff. Complain to your friends here on HBT when you need to. It helps.

Alohaaaa! I haven't posted for some time so you know this will be a book. :D

Been away a little while and miss you guys. BBL, I'm rooting for you on giving up the habit. Learn from me, don't take up smokeless tobacco. It's even more addictive. Ask me how I know. Some good advice given here and I think DJ knocked it outta the ball park. I might even try that method.... no, I'm fooling myself.

I'm glad everybody is doing well and keeping this thread going. You're a great bunch of folks and I'm happy to be a part of this thread. :mug:

Dang those centipedes!!:mad: Let me ramble a minute and I'll get to that.

The other night I was tearing apart a thrown away rotary push mower for the hard plastic wheels (Honolulu county does a once a month by your house curbside bulk waste pickup - anything goes) I collected the mower from the bulk waste site.. I'm not to proud to say that - it was in great shape! :)

I planned to use the wheels on the back of a raised planter. One problem with the idea. That planter is effing heavy! Five cubic yards of wet soil, a bunch of lumber, it is backed up to the fence and sits on rough ground. I'm not going to be able to move it far enough away from the fence to install the wheels... Well, I probably will get a wild hair and figure a way to move it, just not now.

I tried using the mower a few times and then came to the realization the yard is to small to maintain the wheel speed necessary to effectively spin the rotary cutter. I can repurpose this thing, salvage parts of it.. I half heartedly considered cleaning the rust off the rotary blade making it a mash churner.. haha.. I don't know how that would work but it could really - maybe. :) My wife wants the long handle to use for her tomato plants, there are six 2" rollers I could use for something someday. I now have two 7 inch hard plastic wheels with the steel framing to mount to my vegetable stand.

So, centipedes. The evening I tore the mower apart and salvage some parts I wasn't thinking about centipedes. I took off the first wheel by removing the snap clip from the axle. Easy. Then I removed the axle, pretty easy too. My wife then walked outside to see how things were going and I held up the first salvaged wheel.. I was sort of proud. I flipped it over, felt something on my hand and looked down as a freaking 4 inch ugly nasty centipede had just started to dig into my ring finger. I flinched my hand and the centipede went flying. Not before he started to dig into the flesh. I was pretty lucky the little bastard was just starting to dig in.

I think my wife's terrifying stories of centipedes are probably slightly over exaggerated but maybe not. The little bugger only just broke the skin. My finger ached like it was smashed by a hammer, I took off my ring right away..Goggled centipede stings and followed the directions. Hot soapy water and a lot of rinsing. That really worked, it still swelled up but the pain mostly went away. I was barely stung, probably no worse than a wasp sting in the micro second he got me. I'd hate to know what it's like if the bug really stuck his legs into me.. Ouch! I'm now even more paranoid, healthy paranoia.

Topics on HBT range quite a lot. I recently came across a Presto 23qt pressure canner. It was not from the bulk waste pile :) But might as well been, it was free. Looking forward to canning. Might try something simple like jam for my first attempt.

Cheers everybody! Hope you all have a great 4th of July weekend!

:mug:

Holy hell, man-eating centipedes.

That pressure canner is the real deal. At 15psi you can put anything in cheap ball jars (Walmart). I canned turkey this past christmas; it's still in my cabinet.

I've been YouTubing canning videos and found the owners manual for the Presto 23 qt canner. Now I'm thinking time for a garden! In the canning PDF there was a section on canning raw chicken.. Instantly thought of you Pappy! :mug:

side note to centipedes.. sort of or almost the same in my book.. Yesterday an 18" lizard was found on Pearl Harbor base. Head the size of a baseball. Apparently it came from a cargo ship that originated somewhere in Southeast Asia.

side note to centipedes.. sort of or almost the same in my book.. Yesterday an 18" lizard was found on Pearl Harbor base. Head the size of a baseball. Apparently it came from a cargo ship that originated somewhere in Southeast Asia.

There are some really strange huge animals in Asia. Watch out for those buggers, they can take your arm off if you are not careful.

The Asian hornets frighten me to death. There were two confirmed sightings of them last year in Kentucky. Opposite ends of the state too. I'm determined if I see anything that looks like a giant Sand Hornet (European Hornet, I think) with a yellow face, I'm following it home so I can locate the nest. Then I'll return again with hell-fire, damnation, and possibly even semi-automatic weapons. I hate, and I cannot stress enough, hate invasive hornet species. I'm not too fond of some of the native ones either......

You guys are cracking me up tonight. And I'm not even drunk. :mug:

I hear ya on the centipedes there Dan. Had some big ugly bastards over on Wake Island too. They make spiders look like wimps. Luckily I was never stung, but I was warned ahead of time to watch out for them and I did.

Invasive hornets huh. Well, if you've got them in Kentucky, it won't be long until we have them too. Great.......

Centipede haters club.. I'm prez! :D

My wife took the last two days off work. Believe me, it was nice and crowding at the same time.

My oldest daughter (she's my stepdaughter of 14 years..I guess I explain that just cause.. You guys have probably figured that out already.. my insecurity showing.

Anyway, lets just call my stepdaughter Kim. Last week she was named one of Hawaii's top forty business persons under forty. Nice awards ceremony followed. I got to admit, listening to some of these young people's accomplishments was pretty humbling. In the crowd of them were more than a couple entrepreneur millionaires. I suppose that's why they are in the top forty crowd.

I got to admit, I'm just a retired Navy Chief. The crowd there sort of freaked me out.. Some people make lots of money and some of us profit from a good paying job because of these folks. Makes the world go round.

Where was I going with this.... Oh ya. My oldest daughter was coming over for dinner tonight. Nothing fancy but I feel happy with what I made.

Ham, green bean casserole ( I made the mushroom gravy and fried onions that top it) Some mashed potatoes, a store bought Pecan pie and some store bought Vanilla ice cream for desert.

I called Kim to let her know dinner was going to be an hour later than planned. She informed me she thought dinner had been cancelled so she made other plans..

I'd like to spell out two words, one begins with "F" and the other "M" But I won't.

Wife and I will have a pretty nice dinner tonight but alone. Quite a few times in my life (Sundays especially) I want to take food to folks who need a nice meal more than me. I'd like to share. My stereotypic (I guess) fear of the homeless keeps me from doing that.

That pisses me off about myself.

No centipedes but tall birds 1404365704075.jpg

You're such an honest guy Dan and you're not afraid to say what's on your mind. I admire that about you.

Being around homeless people can be a little weird, but you get over it pretty quick. They're not wild animals. My Dad volunteers at the local rescue mission and ropes me in on occasion. I should probably go help out more than I do considering the amount of free time I have. A lot of the folks that work there are homeless and have to pitch in and help out to earn their keep. I was very uncomfortable around them at first because you feel so opposite of them. I almost felt like I was teasing them with my Nike shoes and my Midnight Sun Brewing Company tee shirt that I got while visiting Alaska. It's a humbling experience, I'll tell you that. Makes you want to stop wasting stuff that most of us take for granted.

Been waking up with night sweats something terrible. It has to be because I quit smoking, I haven't changed anything else. Luckily there's a pattern to it. I go to sleep, wake up drenched, go back to sleep and then everything's fine until morning. I'm on to this plan now. Towels are my friend. I was getting sick of washing sheets everyday. Sorry if that grosses everyone out. :eek:

Thanks BBL. I have a tendency to share a bit too much about myself here but in general I'm okay with that.

I have lots time on my hands. You got me thinking about volunteering, there are a lot of homeless in Hawaii. Take a vacation to Waikiki and you'll see them living in the parks. In the news today was a story about a group of homeless being kicked off U of H grounds yesterday morning and by afternoon the people, tents, and shopping carts returned.

A reporter interviewed one man who worked but couldn't afford to rent let alone buy (the average single family dwelling home in Honolulu is 626K - which is why I live in a townhouse far by Hawaii measure from Honolulu) The man is a father of two. He told the reporter he gets together every night with a group of friends and they share their food and prepare the dinner meal ohana* style, and then they have prayer time.

My wife told me a she went to school with a homeless girl but her friend didn't realize her family was homeless! They lived in a big tent on the beach, her father fished, they cooked their meals on a grill and used the public toilet and shower. The girl is all grown up now of course and my wife and her are still friends. She says she remembers her childhood fondly. I suppose home really is where the heart is, money can't replace that (can make it more comfortable though :smack:) She was just a kid loving life like any other kid.

BBL, sounds like you're going through the roughest part now, withdrawal. Hang in there buddy! I wish I could be an example of how to conquer nicotine addiction but I am not. I'm a fool stubborn headed idiot at times. That works well if used in the right direction but is equally opposite in the wrong direction. I'm thinking too much now.. got myself all confused.

Kick nicotine's arse BBL! I think the number one thing going in your favor is you have decided now is the time and you're going to do it!! :mug:

*'Ohana is a group of both closely and distantly related people who share nearly everything, from land and food to children and status. Sharing is central to this value. In Hawaiian culture, being a member of a family is more important than the individual

huh, what? Chuck Norris?

Dear lord, the man is amazing! I'm going to share something, not because I am humble and sharing.. it's pure vanity. When I was serving the Navy in Iraq (aside from my children the proudest part of my life) a young kid approached me.. Approach is the wrong word, hell, I was a senior enlisted guy at the time.. Military protocol is heavy.. specially for a junior approaching a senior.

The young man didn't really approach me on his own enthusiasm. I heard him refer to some character he associated with me while we were both sharing the same smoke pit. Want to find out what's going on in your work world? Two words - Smoking Area.

For the life of me I don't remember the name he said, his shop apparently referred to me by that name. First time I heard it I was thinking they were using a word disrespectful to me..(my insecurity at play) Long story short.. I found out the nickname they gave me was in reference to Chuck Norris. The way the kid finally explained it to me was Senior Chief D doesn't do push-ups. He pushes the world away from him.. Eff-me. Young kid, so trusting and naïve. Pretty tough to actually live up to that standard, but Chuck Norris has..:D

Canning adventure. I suppose just like brewing beer, canning takes good sanitary practices, knowledge, patience and time. Not to mention desire.

The dimensions of my new canner (it was used but new to me) according to what I found on Presto's website are. 13.25h x 17.5l x12.75d. Those are the outer most dimensions the inside as advertised is 23qts. It is fairly large , dwarfed the largest burner on my stove.

Trial run. Cooker empty aside from 3 qts of water

9 minutes to boil
10 minute vent
Added weighted pressure regulator
Came up to 5 psi. Had to turn burner on and off, lowest setting to maintain

Skipped 10 psi.

15 psi. I had to turn burner off once the pressure was reached, then the lowest setting on my stove kept it there.

The pot was empty aside from the water, times will probably be longer in all directions once the canner is loaded with jars.

I do have one question, sort of. I assume the interior temp is the temp of all contents? The water wouldn't come to boil (250f at 15psi ) if all contents were not the same. It's a question, not a statement.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404434735.504587.jpg

edit. I had to chuckle after looking at the pic. The counter tops in my new place are the exact same type and color of my old house.. I love the darkish green.. lucked out getting the same in this new place, :)

Thanks for the support guys. It means a lot. Really. :mug:

I'm so pissed right now. I just dumped a whole pint of stout on the carpet. Wooosa.

Feel lucky you're starting your canning adventure with a pressure gauge Dan. I started out with the jiggler style. Real PITA. The gauge is a pleasure to use in comparison. Canners are handy for lots of stuff. You'll love it. Although, I just noticed you have an electric stove. That sucks my friend. A lot harder to regulate heat. Should be a whole different ball game once you load it with jars. You can download the manual off the presto website. It has processing times for different foods.

I think it is wise to test a used pressure cooker. Here is some info re: county extension to help you find one on Hawaii: County Extension office at CTAHR in Hilo. They have a wealth of info available, a very helpful staff, free consultations with Master Gardeners, and a variety of services like water quality testing, pressure-cooker testing, and plant sales, rain catchment manual, all kindsa great stuff. There are also local offices in Kona and Waimea.

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/big-...elf-sufficiency-baseline-2.html#ixzz36T5ydNWd

I collected the mower from the bulk waste site.. I'm not to proud to say that - it was in great shape! :)

I was just browsing in the city dump. It's not a good dump (only metal and yard debris) like we had when I was a kid but there are still some good finds. I found a huge box of Playboy's at the dump many years ago.

No centipedes but tall birdsView attachment 208946

Nice pic. Do tall birds bite?

A reporter interviewed one man who worked but couldn't afford to rent let alone buy (the average single family dwelling home in Honolulu is 626K - which is why I live in a townhouse far by Hawaii measure from Honolulu) The man is a father of two. He told the reporter he gets together every night with a group of friends and they share their food and prepare the dinner meal ohana* style, and then they have prayer time.

My wife told me a she went to school with a homeless girl but her friend didn't realize her family was homeless! They lived in a big tent on the beach, her father fished, they cooked their meals on a grill and used the public toilet and shower. The girl is all grown up now of course and my wife and her are still friends. She says she remembers her childhood fondly. I suppose home really is where the heart is, money can't replace that (can make it more comfortable though :smack:) She was just a kid loving life like any other kid.
[/I]

That is good stuff there Dan. It is very easy to confuse want with need.

Some Music:

AIC: Awesome song right?

Here is my cousin's cover:

I believe he played every instrument. Not the vocals I think. Talented guy.

I have a few spare tickets for the boxing event next Friday. Anyone going to be in town? We donate the sound equipment so get a table with beer service. Live boxing is pretty cool.

PP, no worries. Time is a great and awful thing. Sometimes we have to much of it and at other times. - not enough!

BBL and LRB, thank you for the guidance! One thing I truly love about HBT is people here give sound advice. There is a trust factor too. And I trust you guys. Cheers!

I have to go.
-

Maybe it's the Hawaiian music I've been listening to all day.

Malama pono. - take care till we meet again

Wife and I took drive tonight. We have two parking spots but need three , room for her car and the motorcycles. Fills two spots, many car is parked on the street. So I have to park my car on the road. That means curb parking.

A few minutes ago we came home from a short trip. As I was backing into a parallel street spot a car came up behind me. He tapped his horn , I thought that meant something like. ".i see you man, go ahead and back up. I was wrong, he was just a jerk honking at me to get out of his way. His front bumper and my back one touched. Then he got out and I got out if my car, he insisted on exchanging insurance info. I scoped out my bumper and his. No damage. He still made a big deal about it. To me, he is just a weak jerk with a type "A" personality Fueled by insecurity and ignorance

We exchanged insurance info. Far as I know , getting rear ended is not the fault of the car hit. Especially in a situation like mine. I mistook curtesy for aggressive assholeness. I was wrong obviously. I sort of think the guy will not pursue such a foolish objective. I think he was putting on a show for his buddies in his car. I'lwe@ ll seefind out soon

His front bumper and my back one touched. Then he got out and I got out if my car, he insisted on exchanging insurance info. I scoped out my bumper and his. No damage. He still made a big deal about it.

And that just about sums up the state of the union; business as usual when you live in a house of nominate torts where the only open book is called Liability.

Always good to see a new face around here.

Happy 4th guys. I'm a little late I know, been a busy weekend. My buddy came up from Ft. Campbell, 101st Airborne. I spent the weekend with him. We grew up together. He's done a few stents in the sandbox and he's starting to lose it a little. PTSD is taking it's toll for sure. I think his wife welcomes the break when he can hang out with friends and she can get some alone time. I really think he needs some help, but he's about to get out and he doesn't want to do it disability style. I wasn't at all ready for the events that transpired last night. But I think I handled myself very well. I'll tell you this.....it got a little drunk out. We killed a keg of stout together and it was in the 6.2 abv range. Well, I had a small head start on it I guess. Scary stuff for me....childs play for him I think. I'm glad it was home brew. Hangovers aren't near as bad. I wish I had a song to post, but I'm at a loss. Can't think of anything that expresses how I feel right now.

I just noticed you have an electric stove. That sucks my friend. A lot harder to regulate heat. Should be a whole different ball game once you load it with jars. You can download the manual off the presto website. It has processing times for different foods.

I have only canned anything twice. Both times were outdoors on a turkey fryer burner. I recommend that method.

Always good to see a new face around here.

Happy 4th guys. I'm a little late I know, been a busy weekend. My buddy came up from Ft. Campbell, 101st Airborne. I spent the weekend with him. We grew up together. He's done a few stents in the sandbox and he's starting to lose it a little. PTSD is taking it's toll for sure. I think his wife welcomes the break when he can hang out with friends and she can get some alone time. I really think he needs some help, but he's about to get out and he doesn't want to do it disability style. I wasn't at all ready for the events that transpired last night. But I think I handled myself very well. I'll tell you this.....it got a little drunk out. We killed a keg of stout together and it was in the 6.2 abv range. Well, I had a small head start on it I guess. Scary stuff for me....childs play for him I think. I'm glad it was home brew. Hangovers aren't near as bad. I wish I had a song to post, but I'm at a loss. Can't think of anything that expresses how I feel right now.

It is good to see a new poster. Welcome!

I cannot imagine (thanfully) what your buddy is going through. I am sure your visit with him was a good thing. If you really think he needs help and care a lot, you may have to step in. That would be tough. I hope it all works out well.

I cleaned points, set the gap, put in new condensors, changed plugs and got an old '61 Evinrude to run like a top. It starts with a 1/4 pull now. Some a-hole (probably my dad) let it freeze and crack the gear case. I just offered $75 for the lower unit housing on ebay. He was asking $150. I should have offered $50. I was supposed to get a new motor this spring but playing around with this old stuff is sort of fun.

I have only canned anything twice. Both times were outdoors on a turkey fryer burner. I recommend that method.

I seem to be the local worry wort...nonetheless, re specifically the presto 23 qt canner:{edit: the following is from the comments on amazon...I just bought this one and it is in transit} An additional "Caution" page is included with the directions:
Do not use pressure canner on any outdoor heat source such as a gas burner for a turkey fryer. This type of burner will soften the canner causing the bottom to warp. It may also result in property damage and/or personal injury. In addition, the food may not be safely processed.

YMMV. :mug:

And that just about sums up the state of the union; business as usual when you live in a house of nominate torts where the only open book is called Liability.

I just noticed your location. Good to see a Finlander on board. I am nearly pure blood. 3 of my 4 grandparents spoke Finn. I can't speak much more than swear words. I just learned yesterday that my great-great grandparents on my mother's side were sent here because she was pregnant before marriage. That was so disgracefull that they shipped them off to another country.

This is a local TV show:
http://finntimes.com/?p=237

mitä kello on?

Too late. G'night all.

I cleaned points, set the gap, put in new condensors, changed plugs and got an old '61 Evinrude to run like a top. It starts with a 1/4 pull now. Some a-hole (probably my dad) let it freeze and crack the gear case. I just offered $75 for the lower unit housing on ebay. He was asking $150. I should have offered $50. I was supposed to get a new motor this spring but playing around with this old stuff is sort of fun.

Nice. I've got an old 60's 5 horse Evinrude myself. Runs like a champ. It's almost a bit much for my little john boat. Especially if I want to haul a friend me that has any amount of meat on their bones. It's been starting to get water in the gear lube though. I have to change it about every 5 or 6 trips out and make sure it's changed for the winter. PITA.

I seem to be the local worry wort...nonetheless, re specifically the presto 23 qt canner:{edit: the following is from the comments on amazon...I just bought this one and it is in transit} An additional "Caution" page is included with the directions:
Do not use pressure canner on any outdoor heat source such as a gas burner for a turkey fryer. This type of burner will soften the canner causing the bottom to warp. It may also result in property damage and/or personal injury. In addition, the food may not be safely processed.

YMMV. :mug:

I was not doing pressure canning. My bad. I hope there has been no property damage and/or personal injury;)

Nice. I've got an old 60's 5 horse Evinrude myself. Runs like a champ. It's almost a bit much for my little john boat. Especially if I want to haul a friend me that has any amount of meat on their bones. It's been starting to get water in the gear lube though. I have to change it about every 5 or 6 trips out and make sure it's changed for the winter. PITA.

I was going to bed but I only have a few beers left and since there is conversation here:

I have been told that a lower unit overhaul is not that big of a deal. The kits are out there and reasonably cheap. If I can get mine to hold gear lube, I will look into a kit for it. If I don't get the ebay deal, I may just bring the thing to someone who can weld aluminum.

We are having "brunch" tomorrow. Bloody Mary's?

Back