I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess I will be picking up some vodka tomorrow morning. I am glad now they revoked that law for no sales until after noon on Sunday;)

I never knew blue laws still exited until I went to see my dad in Oklahoma and found that the market could not sell beer. You had to go next door to a liquor only store with horrible operating hours.

I have some friends that spent some time in OK. Some goofy laws there from what I have heard. They just lifted the Sunday thing around here a few years back. I gotta get all the goods too: celery, pickled things, tomato juice...I have plenty of spicy stuff. I'm looking forward to it now.

I am out of beer now so I am checking out for real this time. Thanks LRB.

Sorry to leave u hanging last night guys. I would have stuck around and had another beer but I thought everyone was bouncing. Honestly, I did need the sleep though. Felt good. Ever since I quit smoking I have been sleeping less as well. 5 or 6 hours is about it and I'm up. Usually that would upset my balance, but I'm taking it like a champ. I'm starting to think that this is the new norm. I actually feel better than I have in years physically. Well, I think it's time to post one of my original songs. I wrote this and recorded it by myself. Later, I had one of my friends play around with it and redo the guitar track and the melody (which is currently piano, but I'm not sure I like it). It still needs a lot of work, but it's not bad. I don't mind showing people crappy recordings. Here's the best mix we've got at the moment. In this version I did the vocals and drums and my buddy did the rest.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NW-tIpXlUWA[/ame]

Sorry to leave u hanging last night guys. I would have stuck around and had another beer but I thought everyone was bouncing. Honestly, I did need the sleep though. Felt good. Ever since I quit smoking I have been sleeping less as well. 5 or 6 hours is about it and I'm up. Usually that would upset my balance, but I'm taking it like a champ. I'm starting to think that this is the new norm. I actually feel better than I have in years physically. Well, I think it's time to post one of my original songs. I wrote this and recorded it by myself. Later, I had one of my friends play around with it and redo the guitar track and the melody (which is currently piano, but I'm not sure I like it). It still needs a lot of work, but it's not bad. I don't mind showing people crappy recordings. Here's the best mix we've got at the moment. In this version I did the vocals and drums and my buddy did the rest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NW-tIpXlUWA

Great tune! I like the piano. I wouldn't change it too much. I missed the bass but I am only listening on my phone. I'll give it another spin on my good speakers.

I hope I'm not violating any policy but this is a very good deal on an excellent thermometer: Great Deal... CDN DTQ45X Thermometer - $9.99! HBF Low + Review http://bit.ly/1sko0uv #homebrew I have two of them. I'd like a thermapen but until then...

I bought my wife one of those thermopops as a gift and so she'd keep her mitts off my thermapen. It measured dead on with mine and I think for about half the price.

BTW, I never did the bloody Mary's. For some reason it didn't seem such a good idea the next morning.

So I got poked straight in the eyeball with a piece of Romex today. I was on the outside drilling the hole my bro was inside pushing it out. It wasn't a strait shot and we were having some trouble with it. As soon as I put my face in there to see what was up...wham...strait in the eyeball. I could hear the three stooges theme playing.

BTW, I never did the bloody Mary's. For some reason it didn't seem such a good idea the next morning.

So I got poked straight in the eyeball with a piece of Romex today. I was on the outside drilling the hole my bro was inside pushing it out. It wasn't a strait shot and we were having some trouble with it. As soon as I put my face in there to see what was up...wham...strait in the eyeball. I could hear the three stooges theme playing.

That sounds painful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NW-tIpXlUWA

Lot's of nice low end on the good speaks. Just my opinion but there are some nice openings for some groovy bass riffs in there. Nice job! I really like it.

That sounds painful.

My stupid gland is killing me.

Hi friends!

Sorry I've been MIA for a while.

I have actually been busting my hump, but not for much coin, unfortunately. I laid off all of my employees about 2 months ago, and I am now working alone. I'm getting just enough small projects to pay the bills. It's been rough working alone. My old body is taking a beating!

I was also appointed as an administrator on a facebook homebrewing group a few months back, and that takes a lot of my free time on the computer. PP, on a smaller scale I can now relate with what you must go through by being a mod here. Some of the members in the group I'm in are worse than children! haha...

Anyway... I hope you are all doing well. Luckily I managed to buy a lot of bulk ingredients earlier in the year when I had the money, so I'm still brewing at least. I don't get to buy all the cool craft beers too much anymore, but I'm happy drinking my own.

Cheers!

Lot's of nice low end on the good speaks. Just my opinion but there are some nice openings for some groovy bass riffs in there. Nice job! I really like it.

Yeah, there's no bass track yet. We've been waiting for my other buddy to lay one down, but he's been busting his hump making the big coin ;) I'm glad you like it. It's one of my favorites as far as my originals go. Do you play bass? Have any way to record?

Damn dude, right in the eye....yikes. Hopefully no penetration?

Sounds like you got your hands full Stauff. Hats off to ya. I hear ya on ingredients. I'm still sitting on plenty myself. I just hope the mice never find it :D

Yeah, there's no bass track yet. We've been waiting for my other buddy to lay one down, but he's been busting his hump making the big coin ;) I'm glad you like it. It's one of my favorites as far as my originals go. Do you play bass? Have any way to record?

Sounds like you got your hands full Stauff. Hats off to ya. I hear ya on ingredients. I'm still sitting on plenty myself. I just hope the mice never find it :D

Must not giggle.

Agreed. Hope the eye is okay and it was just a case of 'awcrap!' You really do not wanna mess with your eyes. You only get two of those.

I don't play bass and am not even sure where any of my recording gear is. Played guitar since high school but haven't barely touched that since the kids came along.

Must not giggle.

Agreed. Hope the eye is okay and it was just a case of 'awcrap!' You really do not wanna mess with your eyes. You only get two of those.

The eye is OK. Thanks. Scratched up a bit. Looks like I have pink eye.

Ischiavo, hope the eye feels better. 336 hours last month 60+ so far Sunday was my first day off so I brewed. Pipeline maintained, on 12/7 for the next month or two. I lurk,listen and live vicariously thru you guys. I check in at breaks at work when not trading e-mails with a forlorn wife. Couple of beers, dinner, talk to the wife catch up on the TOUR and off to bed, 3 am gets here pretty quick Westy clone hits quickly on empty stomach:D

For you guys working to keep the families afloat, David Lamb (Brown Bird). This poor guy just died. He was so talented. I posted previously regarding him, almost exactly one year ago.

Good evening late niters!

Hope all is well. I know life is a grind. Living that right now. Every day, shoveling **** against the tide. One minute, charge, next, give up. Damn.

For your late night soundtrack, Brown Bird. This guy (David Lamb) is ravaged with the effects of leukemia. As hard as your life is, he's got it harder. He was a hairy bearded guy, now totally bald and suffering the effects of chemo.

I, myself, suck strength from others who excel in the face of this kind of adversity. David Lamb makes me jump higher. Lyrics included because, if you're like me, you just can't make out what they're saying anymore.

Bilgewater (lyrics by David Lamb)

It don’t matter if the cold wind blows
I’m gonna wind up working in the thick of it
sunshine through the rain and snow
there’s an oily brine bilge water baptism waiting below

that’s just the waves slamming against the topsides’ sound
don’t let the ever rolling motion go and get you down
don’t let it shake your steady thread cutting hand
keep stealing ribbons from the steel and giving hell
to every halyard you can

in spite of all the wherewithal
to fight it all I will face it all
to fight it all I’ll embrace it all

when everyday’s like a war between the will to go on
and a wish that the world would spiral into the sun
turn your head toward the storm that’s surely coming along

if the sun was always shining and our load always light
we’d be shaking like a leaf with every God given night
and we’d break under the weight of any pressure
that was ever applied

will you be ready when the straw boss calls?
he’s got an ever loving bone to pick with one and all
don’t let his condescension get you down
just have the strength to know you’re wrong
and when you’re right the strength to stand your ground

to fight it all I will face it all
to fight it all I’ll embrace it all

when everyday is like a war
you find no strength from your usual source
there’s no peace, there’s no rest
your fortitude is feeling put to the test
when everyday is like a war between the will to go on
and a wish that the world would spiral into the sun
turn your head toward the storm that’s surely coming along

if the sun was always shining and our load always light
we’d be shaking like a leaf with every God given night
and we’d break under the weight
of any pain that ever came in this life

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoqH9irCn3o

Last edited by a moderator:
PP, keeping it real. Nice tribute to the man Pappy. I know I'm guilty of moaning and groaning at times instead of counting blessing.

My first attempt at canning went decently. Canned 6.5 half pints of strawberry jam on Saturday. And it's delicious. Sunday 5 half pints of orange marmalade - fail. I only added half the sugar required because I thought it was sweet enough. After it sat a day I tried some and it was pretty bitter. Next time I'll try it with all the sugar and also in going to scrape most of the pith away from the peel. I'm still going to keep it around and awhile, maybe like some brews it just needs some aging time.

I finished up the temp controller last weekend too. The hardest part was making the wooden box. Turned out okay though. No idea what I need a dual temp controller for in this warm climate. Fun project though. Maybe I can post on Hawaii CL and make my money back. If it sells easily maybe make some more to sell.

It's built pretty well. The stc-1000 is rated for 10 amps, but the outlet is 15 A, and the wire is 14 gauge, so no worries in the wiring holding up.

Here's a pic. The little box is some scrap pergo flooring glued together and painted with white spray paint I found in my wife's craft room.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404933017.961542.jpg

Nice job on the controller Dan. My canner arrived yesterday. I ran a water only test batch to see how it worked. Going to scope the garden to see what I can can (can can :) ) I plan on canning some starter wort Sunday.

Nice clean job there Dan. My DIY stuff always comes out functional, but not very pretty. I was starting to wonder if the centipedes got you.

You'll like having starter wort ready to go LRB. Makes whipping up some yeast a snap. I actually need to run some off myself. I like to get all that kind of work done over the summer so I can rock n' roll come fall. One tip for you. Don't over fill the jars. Leave some room. If the jar boils over, it will glue the ring to the jar. No fun, no fun.

Thanks guys!

This canning thing is something I can get into. LRB, I think you'll get a real kick out of the process just like home brewing, bread making, cheese making, and all that other DIY stuff - It's just a good feeling to know you did it yourself. Plus, when the zombies come we'll be more self sufficient. :D

As has been mentioned before powerful propane burners are not to be used with pressure cookers. But, I can think of no reason not to do water bath canning (not for wort of course) with my old turkey fryer pot and Bayou burner. Many foods don't need more than a boiling water bath, then again the low acid ones definitely need the high heat of a pressure canner.

Call me weird but one thing I got a kick out of was listening to the lids pop sealed after the jars were removed from the water and the internal temperature cooled! :eek:

Call me weird but one thing I got a kick out of was listening to the lids pop sealed after the jars were removed from the water and the internal temperature cooled! :eek:

That actually freaked me out my first time. I couldn't figure out what the hell that noise was. Also, make sure you go through the bunch and tap on all the lids to make sure they're sealed after they cool. I get one once in a while that doesn't seal, but I also reuse the crap out of my lids. I'm a cheap a$$ :D

That actually freaked me out my first time. I couldn't figure out what the hell that noise was. Also, make sure you go through the bunch and tap on all the lids to make sure they're sealed after they cool. I get one once in a while that doesn't seal, but I also reuse the crap out of my lids. I'm a cheap a$$ :D

I'm cheap like that too. I do the tap test after they cool.

I'd love to get a pressure canner for wort, but it's on my "long" list... Meanwhile I freeze it, since I have a lot of vacant freezer space as of late.

I think it is wise to test a used pressure cooker. Here is some info re: county extension to help you find one on Hawaii: County Extension office at CTAHR in Hilo. They have a wealth of info available, a very helpful staff, free consultations with Master Gardeners, and a variety of services like water quality testing, pressure-cooker testing, and plant sales, rain catchment manual, all kindsa great stuff. There are also local offices in Kona and Waimea.

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/big-...elf-sufficiency-baseline-2.html#ixzz36T5ydNWd

LRB, somehow I missed this post, it showed up on my phone as the last page of the thread lastnight but when I opened the thread it was not there. It was back about 3 pages???

Thanks for the link. The pdf file I downloaded for the canner mentioned the County Extension office but I had no idea where to find them.. I didn't even think to Google. Thanks again LRB.. Looks like a great site.

Thanks for the link!

I'd love to get a pressure canner for wort, but it's on my "long" list... Meanwhile I freeze it, since I have a lot of vacant freezer space as of late.

Hey Stauff! Good to hear from you, got your PM, should have replied but I"ve been a bit lazy. Sorry to hear about the business stuff. I hope all gets better soon. I'm sort of right there with you in the work arena. Well, no that isn't really true. I didn't have the cahonas to start and operate a successful business like you and others but I am feeling the pinch of not working.

Cheers my friend! :mug:

Howdy howdy late niters. Looks like everyone is canning now. Let me know if you guys do anything unusual. Dan, I've been thinking about doing marmalade again myself. I had an experience like yours. I have a kumquat tree so I made kumquat marmalade last year. Not sweet enough - and it ended up too bitter to put on toast.

For your late night soundtrack, how about a little afternoon delight. Who doesn't like a little of that?

Last edited by a moderator:
OK I am back kind of. I had a little issue with a chain saw and my knee awhile ago and pretty much have spent a life time it seems on the couch trying to get to where I could walk again.

But the heavens parted and the Dr in perhaps a moment of stupidity said I could take the iron maiden of a brace off my knee and walk some with crutches. Well he did not say how much to walk so I have been cutting trees again:rockin:

I would post a photo of my knee in the hospital but I have no clue how to get it out of Gmail and post it here. Suffice it to say I cut tendons and the muscle along with the long bone in your thigh. Took some 200 stitches inside the wound to put me together again.

By the way I can now say that cutting a tree or cutting flesh I will choose a tree any day... Yup trees are much more fun to cut :fro:

OK I am back kind of. I had a little issue with a chain saw and my knee awhile ago and pretty much have spent a life time it seems on the couch trying to get to where I could walk again.

But the heavens parted and the Dr in perhaps a moment of stupidity said I could take the iron maiden of a brace off my knee and walk some with crutches. Well he did not say how much to walk so I have been cutting trees again:rockin:

I would post a photo of my knee in the hospital but I have no clue how to get it out of Gmail and post it here. Suffice it to say I cut tendons and the muscle along with the long bone in your thigh. Took some 200 stitches inside the wound to put me together again.

By the way I can now say that cutting a tree or cutting flesh I will choose a tree any day... Yup trees are much more fun to cut :fro:

Wow! I thought you and Bobby ran away together to some valley where the internet doesn't exist.

Glad you lived through your self-inflicted texas chainsaw massacre. Cut AWAY from your body, boy scout.

Just got back from an out of town baseball game. My nephew is in rookie league all stars now. Close game at first, but we wupped em. It's double elimination, so this could go almost all summer or could end real quick. We'll see. I've heard that there are a couple of ball pounding teams out there that will probably give us good stomping. I'm just not sure when we'll end up playing them. It's kind of win win. If he makes it to the end he gets more bragging rights and another trophy and if he gets knocked out quick, he gets to enjoy a few weeks of summer before he goes back to school.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-HkgPyV5ao[/ame]

You're supposed to stop cutting when it starts to hurt. Glad that you are healing up. I bet your saw was a mess too;)

Back