I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually feel great about it. I made the mistake once of trying to dry hop while cold crashing, and at 36 degrees the hops didn't contribute anywhere near the aroma that they do at room temps. Makes sense, because oils are more soluble at higher temps.
I recently dry hopped in a keg in my keezer, and it's not as good as when I dry hop at 65. I'm going to try it at 80 on the next batch.
I can't remember where I got it but it is like this one .

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/keg-fermentor-kit.html

Also all has anyone been having any issues with Midwest supplies ,?

I ordered almost 300$ of kit/s and stuff almost 4 days ago ? I did not hear from them so I called they said @ 11 am my time 10 am there time they would get it out today. And send me a tracking number. It is 10 min to midnight and still no tracking number ????

Thanks! EDIT.. I just realized that's for ball locks, and I have pin locks.

A lot of people seem to be having major issues with Midwest.

I've been loving Austin lately. I ordered a bunch of stuff Monday morning, and it's already arriving tomorrow.

Just made a gallon starter of champagne yeast for the banana wine I'm planning on Saturday night. It should be interesting. I'm aiming for a 6 month to maturity recipe.

Just made a gallon starter of champagne yeast for the banana wine I'm planning on Saturday night. It should be interesting. I'm aiming for a 6 month to maturity recipe.

Being allergic to bananas I wonder if I could drink something like that!?

Love2Brew has been treating me real good lately. Prices are great, shipping is fast(from the other side of the country even) and they have a good selection.

Being allergic to bananas I wonder if I could drink something like that!?
I don't know, but I would suspect not unfortunately.
Love2Brew has been treating me real good lately. Prices are great, shipping is fast(from the other side of the country even) and they have a good selection.
I've been very happy with northernbrewer.

Is it really going to ruin beer to age it hot? I've for stuff that's been in the garage for years that still tastes great after a few hours in the fridge. I keep all my fancy stuff in the back of the pantry. It doesn't get hotter than 65 in there.

I have no problem aging warm. As long as it's not crazy, I don't see an issue.

Yeah, foxes are fairly harmless. Unless you have chickens or a cat. Foxes will kill domestic cats even when they aren't hungry. They compete for the same food if the cat is feral.

You know what's really a terror to chickens? A feral mink. Those little bastidges will kill any chicken they can catch. Then they will just leave the bodies laying around if they aren't hungry. They will literally kill every single chicken in a coupe.

Thank you LRB. Sounds like the reaction is a little slower then I was thinking. Good to know.

Why would you keep chickens in a car?

emjay said:
I have no problem aging warm. As long as it's not crazy, I don't see an issue.

Why would you keep chickens in a car?

Ha, what an ******* ;)

I don't see the issue either, though I'm sure if you're talking many years of aging the cooler temps are better.

image-2952686982.jpg

New song my wife's radio station started playing today. I'm really digging their sound. From North Ireland.
[ame]http://youtu.be/sbdJXKqVgtg[/ame]

Good evening late nighters. Just caught up with the last 3 or 4 pages. This thread has been on a roll these last 24 hours. One thing, at least for me trying to catch up when this thread is on a roll; I just want to hit the quotation mark and then quote each thread thereafter and end up with an individual reply to everybody's post like Sharona Zamoni and LG do sometimes. If I’m in a real hurry I find one of there multiple post replies to catch up on what’s been going on. I haven’t mastered getting my point across in just a few sentences like they have. If I tried that it would be a book, maybe two.

So I'll just try to keep it short on what I can remember. And in no particular order

BobbiLynn. Beautiful ode to your friend, and hook a brother up, please send me a fox cap someday. Would be great for winter brewdays!

Stauffbier, future BrewMaster. Truly enjoy your post always. Your posts for me, for whatever reason are always a bit inspirational. Maybe corny but I'm indeed sincere. :mug: Brother Mike!

Varmitman..was it Bobbi that called you treeman? You’re my hero in many ways. Guessing were similar in age but you just keep on like you’re 30 years old still. You motivate me! Be safe cutting down the big ol’ tree. Hope you wife does take some pics.

Pappy, how about some inside scoop on the $80 March pumps! An HBT insiders only deal?

TnGabe, I’m happy to hear your wife is okay. I don’t know how girls think about situations like this but if it happened to a guy.. I guy would only wish it happened to them. Talk about war stories! Very happy to hear your wife will be fine.

BottleBomber and BBL Brewer. You guys I've know longer than probably anybody except maybe Pappy since being on HBT. Do you know I still mix you two up? Sorry. It’s not a slam just a compliment. Two very cool people that always have tons of great brewing insight and you humor cracks me up.

Miker, tug at my roots. Go Navy. I would love to hear that song!

Emjay, your wit I truly enjoy. You’re always surprising me. I thought Bobbi must have made a typo and type car instead of coupe.. Was it BBl or Bottlebomber that called you an Arse, Ha.. then I finally picked it up.

So there you go, that’s me trying to keep up.

I spent the morning and early afternoon cleaning out my garage. It’s just gone to hell in the last 10 months, a total mess. Tools and sawdust, empty beer cans, general mayhem going on out there. Cleaned everything out today. Loaded 4 large leaf bags of garbage and a bunch of scrap wood. Will throw the bags in the garbage after garbage day take the wood to the dump next yard trimming day.

I also cleaned out the laundry room. The vent tube ruptured and had been spewing lint into the room. I didn't realize it till I pulled the dryer out today. What a mess. I took the washer and dryer out and found the walls and floor covered in lint. I sort of knew it happened but didn't feel like dealing with it, not till today. Now the laundry room is clean as a surgery room (well not really but pretty close). I dismantled the dryer and vacuumed, brushed, washed, high pressure aired every speck of lint out of it and then the whole thing back together. Really easy to pull one of those things apart. Tomorrow I need to stop by HD and pick up a new dryer hose. While I had everything out of the room I ripped up the ancient linoleum. I’m going to replace it with the peel and stick tiles. I used them at my front door entry way 10 years ago and they still look great. Hope they hold up in the laundry room.

I’m probably done brewing for a few months. Just too much to do around here. I'm getting this house ready to be a rental.

New song my wife's radio station started playing today. I'm really digging their sound. From North Ireland.
http://youtu.be/sbdJXKqVgtg

Hey, Snaps! Good to see you. Your wife's station wouldn't be the little place between Hanford and Visalia on the south side of 198?

I kinda dig the music you posted. Some of the Christian rock stuff is just a bit to heavy duty for me. Not in the word but the music.

Dan said:
Hey, Snaps! Good to see you. Your wife's station wouldn't be the little place between Hanford and Visalia on the south side of 198?

I kinda dig the music you posted. Some of the Christian rock stuff is just a bit to heavy duty for me. Not in the word but the music.

Nope. That was an old AM Portuguese station. Hers is Spirit 88.9. It's just West of Visalia and North of 99. She's in charge or the marketing, events and community correspondence there. Her working there definitely has its perks for me. Often get my hands on full albums before they're released, all access passes, etc.

You know Dan much to my wifes dismay I get bored rather easily. I do not work so I tinker doing other things like cutting trees down. I volunteered at the schools here for a long time until my kid got old enough that she did not want her old man around anymore. So I told a buddy I would drive his snowplow truck for free and I did until he insisted on paying me so I quit that. Now I am working on getting a LHBS opened up so I have something else to do. And if that was not enough I am looking for a home to buy and fix up in my spare time.

I really do not enjoy just sitting around much.

Did I say car not coop? I don't keep chickens in my car. They are in a coop.

So last night I was disarmed and that made me unhappy. And worse, family sent my nephew over to disarm me. He said, I have to take your bullets, it was buck shot. They said I'm not allowed to sit in the woods with a motion detector and loaded double barrel shotgun. What do they expect me to do? Make a slingshot or bow and arrow? They let me keep my guns but took all my ammo. I have a 44. Ruger too, like a hip hugger type and I've got the leather carrier thing for it too. Fits me nice. I think I have more ammo in the shed. I'm not going to accidentally shoot someone, I don't even understand how that could happen. I know gun safely, I have been trained to handle weapons, well, somewhat trained. And how many times have they called me to come kill a poisonous snake? Always I hit it on the first shot, right in the head, with my .22. I am pissed at whatever killed my chickens but it's not like I'm going to start shooting anything that moves. So now I'm alone in the woods with no ammo.

And this storm Andrea is threatening my berries, or maybe helping my berries, not sure which yet. It's coming right for us, in the Big Bend area. I might end up flooded in before it's over.

Stauffbier said:
I recently dry hopped in a keg in my keezer, and it's not as good as when I dry hop at 65. I'm going to try it at 80 on the next batch.

Thanks! EDIT.. I just realized that's for ball locks, and I have pin locks.

A lot of people seem to be having major issues with Midwest.

I've been loving Austin lately. I ordered a bunch of stuff Monday morning, and it's already arriving tomorrow.

I'm sure chi out of CA has the parts to make one they look simple.

As for Midwest , I sent a little note clean but blunt. @ 0315 my time they sent me the tracking number on my 8 boxes of stuff. Ups showed they picked it up at almost nine pm an hour after I sent the note. I think they are just too small. To keep up. But we will see on Monday . Really thu a week and two days to get me my order. I will be switching.

With that said I'm done with my local h/b store. I had to re pitch my stout today. After pitching it I noticed the white labs use by was almost a week away. ( wtf) so I looked at the last vial same batch. I called them just to see if they have had others with the same issue and they said it was not that close
and called me a lier. Really?

Dan......

Here it is it is my ring tone for my chief. I have the newer general quarters tone for my lpo.

[ame]http://youtu.be/YSpTcXWEC5g[/ame]

Also not to get off topic but I noticed the mint green car pic it looks great. That color fits that car.

We (my wife and me ) just got a new car a few weeks ago the old Buick was starting to fall apart. I got a jetta. It is a 2012 jetta. my wife got it while i was away on a trip used with a full tank of what I thought was gas. It needed to be fueled today so I pull up to fill up open the gas cap cover and what do I see diesel? There is no tdi tag on it. So I looked up the vin. Most of the newer jetta's diesel or gas are made in Mexico . But mine was made in Germany????? I got a car that someone us spec Ed while stationed in Europe. What's it worth? It books @ 6000 over what we paid for it. When the dealer said they were losing money on the deal they where not lie ing .

I need a new pump, let's get back to this $80 March thing. I must have missed it.

I've got a buddy that works at a large pump distributor. He happens to be a oldtime, avid homebrewer. He also is high-up in the company. I don't think I can get a big group buy thing (although I'll ask him), he's told me several times he'll hook me up.

Stauffbier, future BrewMaster. Truly enjoy your post always. Your posts for me, for whatever reason are always a bit inspirational. Maybe corny but I'm indeed sincere. :mug: Brother Mike!.

Thank you brother! I'm glad that I can provide inspiration for you. I can honestly say the same about you!

I also dismantle my dryer and blow it out, vacuum, etc. I see way too many news stories about house fires caused by dryers overheating. That lint is just fuel basically. I also see a tremendous amount of news stories regarding fires from various electrical problems. Two houses in my immediate area burned due to electrical issues in the attic. That's scary stuff!

So.... I just designed a new IPA that I'll be brewing this Saturday. I'm naming it after the crazy stray cat that lives in front of my house. I call him Monkey Face, so Monkey Face IPA is my newest recipe. I chose the name because of the crazy hop bill I'm using. I'm using 8 different hops, because I have a bunch of partial packs in the freezer that I need to use up. Since the hop schedule is so crazy I decided the beer needed a crazy name. While trying to think of "crazy" things the first thing that popped in my head was Monkey Face the cat.

Now I'm setting up the brewery for Saturday.

Leadgolem said:
I got my order from northernbrewer today. :)

Did you have to meet with a loan officer before pulling the trigger on that? ;)

I love NB, but my last (almost) order from them, a small one at that, I rang out at just under $115. I then ordered the same stuff from Love2Brew, my favorite new vendor, and it was $85. Sorry guys.

Nice LG! I've been lucky enough to get hundreds of bottles from work, three or four at a time from the recycling bin. Including quite a few bombers. It's saved me a lot of money.

[ame]http://youtu.be/izQsgE0L450[/ame]

So this is me..... not every night! But I love this, can't explain it, don't understand it, I'm a Classical Music lover. However, when the mood strikes... AC/DC suites me fine
Thanks Dan, good thread, certainly would like to meet you one day

Did you have to meet with a loan officer before pulling the trigger on that? ;)

I love NB, but my last (almost) order from them, a small one at that, I rang out at just under $115. I then ordered the same stuff from Love2Brew, my favorite new vendor, and it was $85. Sorry guys.
My order from northernbrewer subtotaled 102.15. The same order from love2brew, without the sake kit that they don't seem to carry was 86.48. Without the sake kit the northernbrewer order would have totaled 90.16. So, straight prices love2brew comes out better by 3.68.

The real difference is the shipping. Love2brew wants 72.63 to ship the order. Northernbrewer charged 13.95. That means that the northernbrewer order without the sake kit would have cost me 104.11, while love2brew wants 159.11. That makes the northernbrewer order 55 dollars cheaper.

Most places charge a lot to ship bottles because of the volume of the packages, northernbrewer does not. If you aren't buying bottles, or if you are buying fermentables, another vendor might be a better deal. I'll bookmark love2brew and do order comparisons the next time I buy something for brewing online.

Nice LG! I've been lucky enough to get hundreds of bottles from work, three or four at a time from the recycling bin. Including quite a few bombers. It's saved me a lot of money.
Thank you. I don't like buying bottles, but I wanted to have some easy to cap bottles for sparkling stuff. The 750ml Belgian bottles really require a bench capper, and the bombers will fit in my wine rack too.

Goodnight everyone, peace be with you and your kin.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know Dan much to my wifes dismay I get bored rather easily. I do not work so I tinker doing other things like cutting trees down. I volunteered at the schools here for a long time until my kid got old enough that she did not want her old man around anymore. So I told a buddy I would drive his snowplow truck for free and I did until he insisted on paying me so I quit that. Now I am working on getting a LHBS opened up so I have something else to do. And if that was not enough I am looking for a home to buy and fix up in my spare time.

I really do not enjoy just sitting around much.

I want to live around people like you Varmitman. Seems the place to move to is HomeBrewTown. I hear, Passepawn is the town developer.

http://youtu.be/izQsgE0L450

So this is me..... not every night! But I love this, can't explain it, don't understand it, I'm a Classical Music lover. However, when the mood strikes... AC/DC suites me fine
Thanks Dan, good thread, certainly would like to meet you one day
Well then my friend, that makes two of us.

No need to apologize for the music you love. The piece of music you posted is loved world round.

I personally loved it too but can't compete with these guys: (from Wikpedia).

The Adagio for Strings has been performed on many public occasions, especially during times of sadness. It was:
Broadcast over the radio at the announcement of Franklin D. Roosevelt's death;[18]
Broadcast over the TV at the announcement of John F. Kennedy's death
Played at the funeral of Albert Einstein;
Played at the funeral of Princess Grace of Monaco;[18]
Broadcast on BBC Radio to profound emotional effect several times after the announcement of the death of Princess Diana.
Performed at Last Night of the Proms in Royal Albert Hall to commemorate the victims of the September 11 attacks;[19]
Played during the opening ceremonies of the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics;[20]
Played at the state funeral of Canadian New Democratic Party Leader Jack Layton;[21]
Adagio for Strings is the final song on the 2010 Peter, Paul and Mary compilation album Peter Paul and Mary, With Symphony Orchestra. Mary Travers had requested that Adagio for Strings be played at her memorial service.[22]
The Adagio for Strings was one of John F. Kennedy's favorite pieces of music. Jackie Kennedy arranged a concert the Monday after his death with the National Symphony Orchestra and they played to an empty hall. The concert went out on radio. Barber knew about these memorial occasions. He did a radio interview about it with WQXR and said 'they always play that piece. I wish they'd play some of my other pieces.'[23]

Back