I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We were just discussing the zombie apocalypse, so you showed up just in time, worksnorth. Alaska is beautiful, eh? I've never been there. I hear it's the first place zombies will show up though. I'm hoarding everything I can for the big apocalypse. Screw those zombies!! Or maybe don't, not unless you want a zombie bastard child. :drunk:

We were just discussing the zombie apocalypse, so you showed up just in time, worksnorth. Alaska is beautiful, eh? I've never been there. I hear it's the first place zombies will show up though. I'm hoarding everything I can for the big apocalypse. Screw those zombies!! Or maybe don't, not unless you want a zombie bastard child. :drunk:

I could never proposition a zombie I couldn't take the rejection. Ironically, they may be my only hope.

Oh, my comment went through twice as I was compelled by zombies to add, "and agreeable". So weird!! They are already taking over!!

Okay, I do love this time at night on HBT.. I do. For real, not BS. I might end up being a little off the wall.. That's what drinking to many homebrews from a guy I introduced to beer making does.. Little bit of celebrating going on tonight. Crap! I have to work tomorrow. A night like tonight wouldn't be a big deal 20 years ago. Advance the clock 20 and tomorrow morning is a different story. :drunk:

Just caught up with the last few pages of posts. I just gotta say this. I have no idea what you're talking about! Never made wine or anything close to it. But, if not for these pages I would never learn of new worlds. Thank you, thank you for being here and using this thread to talk about stuff. My post aren't generally about brewing beer or wine but I'm glad, crazy glad many of the post here on this thread are. Thank you again.

Now, might just go into some crazy Dan rambling.. but first a song. (EDIT.. didn't find a song, maybe at the end of this rambling one will come to me)

If I relived my life over I'd do two things at least. Number one, I would have become a MARINE. Secondly, I'd play the bagpipes!

Wait! Since I"m just a Caucasian dude it pretty much means I'm just a mut. No real clear backgrond as far as heritage goes. I know my maternal Granparents were clearly German. My Dad's family were best as I know Scotts. Who knows really? My roots are a foggy haze.

I envy those with clear past to their heritage. Me? I'm just an American. Lost is a clear path to my heritage. One thing is clear though. I'm an American. Born here, live here. Don't need to ever put a hyphen between my heritage and American.

Tonight, I'm Scottish! No, just an American.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's what I use. If you normally sanitize your caps, skip that. The oxygen absorbing chemical on the caps reacts with water. Once you have everything capped, just give each bottle a little shake to make sure the brew comes into contact with the absorber on the back of the cap and gets it working.

Ya I normally keg but I got a big run I'm doing for a co worker for a retirement (military). I have enough bottles for one run. But with this I No S*** ordered 6 cases for midwest (I have bottles forever.) My old bottles I have sanitized a few times in my High end dish washer ( it automatically gets rid of old food pieces.) Plus i run it empty one before hand. So I run it one in sanitize mode, then rinse mode with just a little star san. I have had great luck with it. The bottle stock comes out cleaner than i ever could get them by way of hand cleaning. But the down side is I contacted a bottle maker, there Q&A guys said you can do that a few times. They said the newer bottles are not made with the same stuff as the older returnable bottles. So the sudden heat change can slowly degrade the glass.

But with those caps do they normally come sanitized?

Leadgolem said:
Montrachet?

Premier Cuvée, I think.

Dan said:
Don't need to ever put a hyphen between my heritage and American.

Aw, crap. Don't beat me up on this mods.

Tonight, I'm Scottish! No, just an American.

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utqtv_E9F0k

I'm also a muddled mix, just American. It's been nearly three hundred years, so I think American is a genuine heritage now.

And I sure do love bagpipes. I go to a local Highland Games festival every year to listen and gawk at all the men in kilts :) This band plays the festival every year, and I'm a bit of a groupie!

I don't know anything about those caps. And I don't know much about my heritage either. But I know some, my mother's side of the family even publishes a monthly newsletter. My great-great-grandfather came over from Ireland and married an American woman(no one really knows where she came from- maybe somewhere in Scandinavia). My dad's side is Russian, German, Slovakian, and who knows what else.

On a sad note, I forgot to close the door on the chicken coop last night. Everyone thought since I was back, I'd be the one to lock them up for the night. But it's not like it's something I've been doing every night, has never been part of my routine, and I didn't know that everyone just assumed since I'm back, that it's my job now. Found 2 stiff and dead, buried them, a third is still MIA. Probably whatever killed the 2 took off with the other one. I only felt bad for the little white hen, other 2 were roosters. So this morning I was up digging holes and carrying around a stiff, dead chicken, wrapped in one of my old shirts and crying. My dog and all the chickens are somber this morning. And my dog really on the watch. He alerted me late last night about something getting the chickens. By the time I got out there, they had scattered. Thought I lost 7 but only lost 3. And not going to gut a stiff chicken, best done when they are still fresh and warm. Give to family or neighbors as a gift, fresh chicken. :(

Time to face the day, see you all later on tonight.

That's what I use. If you normally sanitize your caps, skip that. The oxygen absorbing chemical on the caps reacts with water. Once you have everything capped, just give each bottle a little shake to make sure the brew comes into contact with the absorber on the back of the cap and gets it working.

You can sanitize the o2 caps.

Well I just got smacked down:p My kid has a science project where they launch a egg at a wall and have to engineer a crumple zone in a plastic bottle that will save the egg. I of course jumped in to it whole heartedly and was engineering a thing of beauty that would far exceed any moderate g load. My wife then pointed out it was not my project but my kids and to but out and let my kid do it.

You know my wife is right. My kid will not learn unless I let her do it

Varmintman said:
Well I just got smacked down:p My kid has a science project where they launch a egg at a wall and have to engineer a crumple zone in a plastic bottle that will save the egg. I of course jumped in to it whole heartedly and was engineering a thing of beauty that would far exceed any moderate g load. My wife then pointed out it was not my project but my kids and to but out and let my kid do it.

You know my wife is right. My kid will not learn unless I let her do it

I hear ya. Earlier this year my son had a Missions of California project. I helped a little, but I wanted to help a lot ;)

image-1731500358.jpg

What the hell happened to the hot chicks videos?

I like the entire hot chick rainbow, but I prefer the sophisticated classier type.

Melody Gardot is my cup of tea. I have her entire catalog. When I travel, it's the only music I take with me. Here she is, for your late nite soundtrack.

I like the entire hot chick rainbow, but I prefer the sophisticated classier type.

Melody Gardot is my cup of tea. I have her entire catalog. When I travel, it's the only music I take with me. Here she is, for your late nite soundtrack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qphknagXqA

Pappy, you never cease to amaze. Classic man you are with classic tastes! :mug:

For crying out loud BobbiLynn! Bringing us back to 1986! Gonna have to find a TopGun clip. Double bananas for you Sis! Em.. let's make it a tripel :ban::ban::ban:

Ya know I got to thinking......:drunk:......maybe the possum got the chickens bobbi.

He fled upon learning of your evil plot to slay him only to return and seek his revenge on your poor, unsuspecting chickens. He knew it was only a matter of time before someone slipped up and left the cage unlocked and his persistence paid off......or maybe not. :tank:

Just remember, you're not alone.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rx-kC4UKTs"]YouTube[/ame]

Thank you BobbiLynn for dredging up old memories. Good times! Love this clip, not all about flying but the guys who worked the Flight Deck, making things happen:D

bottlebomber said:
I hear ya. Earlier this year my son had a Missions of California project. I helped a little, but I wanted to help a lot ;)

Nice!

passedpawn said:

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qphknagXqA

I liked it.

Ya I normally keg but I got a big run I'm doing for a co worker for a retirement (military). I have enough bottles for one run. But with this I No S*** ordered 6 cases for midwest (I have bottles forever.) My old bottles I have sanitized a few times in my High end dish washer ( it automatically gets rid of old food pieces.) Plus i run it empty one before hand. So I run it one in sanitize mode, then rinse mode with just a little star san. I have had great luck with it. The bottle stock comes out cleaner than i ever could get them by way of hand cleaning. But the down side is I contacted a bottle maker, there Q&A guys said you can do that a few times. They said the newer bottles are not made with the same stuff as the older returnable bottles. So the sudden heat change can slowly degrade the glass.

But with those caps do they normally come sanitized?
Uh, no. They don't have anything on them for a nasty to eat though. I just keep them in a plastic bag so they don't get dusty.
You can sanitize the o2 caps.
The o2 reactive chemical is protected by a thin layer of a water soluble sealant. Get them wet, or hit them with sanitizer, and let them sit for a few minutes and the o2 reactive chemical will have bonded with as much oxygen as it has the ability to. The caps will still work of course, they just won't serve their purpose of absorbing oxygen.

So, it depends on if you want to trade oxygen absorption for a very small chance of an infection in the bottle.

Hmm. It seems my cider wasn't actually at FG when I bottled the last batch. I blew a couple corks a second ago. I guess I'll drink some sparkling cider, even if it is pretty young.

Well, now I'm thinking back. Going to post a video from my first Aircraft Carrier, the USS Midway, CV-41. It was old when I lived on it back in the mid eighties. Now it's a museum in San Diego.

This video is before 1986 because the F-4S Phantoms were replaced by FA-18A's in '86 and the A-7 Corsair as well as the Phantoms were done, they had served well during Vietnam and through the Cold War but they were retired. Like me now :eek:

Pretty sure this video is round about the time I was stationed on the Midway 84-88. Haircuts look about right for that time period. He!!, I might even be in this somewhere or other in a green jersey.

Midway Magic!

BTW. The first few F-4s shown, look on the fuselage and see VF-161. That's was my squadron. Fighting One Sixty One, Rock Rivers!

Well done LRB..

This next video, if I can find it. Streets Have No Name, by, ha ha.. I typed YouTube.. U2! Sounded great on amped up Klipsch speakers and a Carver amp and pre-amp back in the day. Now still sounds great on computer speakers.

I'm going to post the lyrics to this one because I know my amazing taste in music does not strike everyone here, but this song sure sounds like this thread....

Well a person can work up a mean mean thirst
after a hard day of nothin' much at all
Summer's passed, it's too late to cut the grass
There ain't much to rake anyway in the fall

And sometimes I just ain't in the mood
to take my place in back with the loudmouths
You're like a picture on the fridge that's never stocked with food
I used to live at home, now I stay at the house

And everybody wants to be special here
They call your name out loud and clear
Here comes a regular
Call out your name
Here comes a regular
Am I the only one here today?

Well a drinkin' buddy that's bound to another town
Once the police made you go away
And even if you're in the arms of someone's baby now
I'll take a great big whiskey to ya anyway

Everybody wants to be someone's here
Someone's gonna show up, never fear
'cause here comes a regular
Call out your name
Here comes a regular
Am I the only one who feels ashamed?

Kneeling alongside old Sad Eyes
He says opportunity knocks once then the door slams shut
All I know is I'm sick of everything that my money can buy
The fool who wastes his life, God rest his guts

First the lights, then the collar goes up, and the wind begins to blow
Turn your back on a pay-you-back, last call
First the glass, then the leaves that pass, then comes the snow
Ain't much to rake anyway in the fall

I'm going to post the lyrics to this one because I know my amazing taste in music does not strike everyone here, but this song sure sounds like this thread....

Well a person can work up a mean mean thirst
after a hard day of nothin' much at all
Summer's passed, it's too late to cut the grass
There ain't much to rake anyway in the fall

And sometimes I just ain't in the mood
to take my place in back with the loudmouths
You're like a picture on the fridge that's never stocked with food
I used to live at home, now I stay at the house

And everybody wants to be special here
They call your name out loud and clear
Here comes a regular
Call out your name
Here comes a regular
Am I the only one here today?

Well a drinkin' buddy that's bound to another town
Once the police made you go away
And even if you're in the arms of someone's baby now
I'll take a great big whiskey to ya anyway

Everybody wants to be someone's here
Someone's gonna show up, never fear
'cause here comes a regular
Call out your name
Here comes a regular
Am I the only one who feels ashamed?

Kneeling alongside old Sad Eyes
He says opportunity knocks once then the door slams shut
All I know is I'm sick of everything that my money can buy
The fool who wastes his life, God rest his guts

First the lights, then the collar goes up, and the wind begins to blow
Turn your back on a pay-you-back, last call
First the glass, then the leaves that pass, then comes the snow
Ain't much to rake anyway in the fall

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s7a-gFX5xM

LRB, it could well become the Late Night Thread anthem. I might need to listen and read the words again but I see the path you're speaking of I think. So, I'll nominate it, do I hear a second?

Well, getting sprayed 23 times with hard apple cider restored my sense of the ridiculous. :) I had to get everything out of the bottles before the corks popped, or what was supposed to be sparkling actually blew. Oh well. I salvaged most of it. It's now in wine bottles in the vertical with little aluminum foil hats on each bottle.

The up side is that I now know for sure this is going to be a really superior batch of cider. It's extremely good, even this young. Plus, I now smell fantastic.:pipe:

LRB, it could well become the Late Night Thread anthem. I might need to listen and read the words again but I see the path you're speaking of I think. So, I'll nominate it, do I hear a second?
This would be the only other contender I think.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-mi0r0LpXo"]Cheers intro song[/ame]

This would be the only other contender I think.
Cheers intro song

You pulled the Cheers card, yes LG, I think you're right about that. Now I'm at a crossroads. BTW LG, once we figure this out you're going to have to pop open one of those bottles and we'll all cheers together. We have a little time to mull this over.

You pulled the Cheers card, yes LG, I think you're right about that. Now I'm at a crossroads. BTW LG, once we figure this out you're going to have to pop open one of those bottles and we'll all cheers together. We have a little time to mull this over.
Can do. :mug:

I think I need some mulling spices for that.

I just tried again the beer I made that apparently has some sort of infection. Beautiful amber color, clear and one step up from vinegar. I should probably just dump it or maybe I'll use it in marinades, ever marinated an alligator? This stuff would probably do it!

Edit: Question. Would it be good to have a Late Night Theme song or would a theme song put restrictions on us. Like a rule, guideline.

I'm going to post my vote now and say that although both songs are wonderful, don't want them to be my rule of choice. No offense of course to LRB or LG. I just kind of like the theme we have going here. That's just one opinion. There are many people here. I withdraw my vote on LG and LRB's song only because naming a theme song is restrictive.

Just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions.

I just tried again the beer I made that apparently has some sort of infection. Beautiful amber color, clear and one step up from vinegar. I should probably just dump it or maybe I'll use it in marinades, ever marinated an alligator? This stuff would probably do it!

Edit: Question. Would it be good to have a Late Night Theme song or would a theme song put restrictions on us. Like a rule, guideline.

I'm going to post my vote now and say that although both songs are wonderful, don't want them to be my rule of choice. No offense of course to LRB or LG. I just kind of like the theme we have going here. That's just one opinion. There are many people here. I withdraw my vote on LG and LRB's song only because naming a theme song is restrictive.

Just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions.

We don't need anything official. They are the same song, just different degrees of darkness.

I've never actually heard the complete "Cheers" song! That was good!!

Me neither. Listening to the lyrics, it's actually hilarious, and hilariously dated. Which might be a good thing for this thread :D

But yeah, I pretty much agree with Dan.

Good knight Dan. Good knight LRB. Good knight Emjay. Good knight Worksnorth. Incidentally, my table is round. May all music, and voices, be heard here within our microcosm of humanity without prejudgment or themal restrictions.

Back