I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good knight Dan. Good knight LRB. Good knight Emjay. Good knight Worksnorth. Incidentally, my table is round. May all music, and voices, be heard here within our microcosm of humanity without prejudgment or themal restrictions.

I once made a Christmas card, called the knight before Christmas, it featured a chess piece.

Sorry to hear about your spewing cider, LG, but glad you saved most of it.

I just picked a tick off my back. Yuck.

GN, peeps, I'm going back to sleep.

I still can't sleep so I think I will post an ode to my best friend, Laura. Though not sure how lyrical I can make it, so maybe it's just a shout out to her.

Oh, Laura, oh Laura, you are the best friend ever invented.
I love my sisters dearly, but I love you more.
Or at least, just as much. I have enough love for you all.

You know how I feel by the sound of my voice.
I know how you feel when you utter only one word.

By just the way you say hello, I know, I know what you are thinking.
I grab my phone to call you, and suddenly it's ringing. It's you.

It's you on the phone, no matter the time of day or middle of the night.
Laura, I can't tell you how much I love you,

Our conversations always end with "I love you". And it's not just something we got used to saying. It really means "I love you".

Even when we have disagreements, it doesn't matter.
Oh, Laura, I love you. You are my best friend.

~end of ode~

If I were a lesbian, I'd marry Laura. But she likes men too so that's not a possibility. I love my best friend Laura to the end of the earth, and back. She is my fortitude, my strength when I am weak. And, anyway, I'm already married to my other best friend, but he has lost his way. I can just hope he finds his way back.

Oh man do I have a great weekend planned. I am taking a tree down in a residential neighborhood that is taller than the plot of land that it is on. Most times that would not be a issue but two homes and two sheds are in the way.

Now most smart folks would rent a lift and limb the tree going up and then block it coming down but not me. I am going to dust off my old rigging gear and climb the tree and do it the old way topping the tree and then falling it.

I love doing things the hard way that involve a greater understanding and technical ability. So I have been dusting off my spurs and treating the leather to a nice conditioning and trying to find my full body harness. I might have given the harness away and if so I will climb it in a Swiss seat.

My wife is pretty angry I am doing this since she says I am to old to go climbing trees any more. But I am so looking forward to doing something that most young kids have not learned to do. That and I figure I will take my mug and a beer up with me and have a nice drink while looking over the world. Hoping my wife goes to take photos:mug:

The o2 reactive chemical is protected by a thin layer of a water soluble sealant. Get them wet, or hit them with sanitizer, and let them sit for a few minutes and the o2 reactive chemical will have bonded with as much oxygen as it has the ability to. The caps will still work of course, they just won't serve their purpose of absorbing oxygen.

So, it depends on if you want to trade oxygen absorption for a very small chance of an infection in the bottle.

I don't know where you're getting that from, maybe you read it on the internet, but it's wrong. ;)

I can't find the link, but there is an interview with a company rep on Basic Brewing Radio with accurate information if you're really interested.

Caps with special powers sound like a bunch of BS to me. Ploy to get you to spend more money on caps.

V-man, I might start calling you tree-man. I'd love to sit up in a tree with you and have a brew.

A friend is coming over today to help me set up a motion detector around the chicken coop and also help me with getting a couple rifles cleaned and loaded, ready to go. It's hunting season and the possum may not make it out alive. I've never tried fox, or possum, so will be interesting to see how the stew turns out.

Caps with special powers sound like a bunch of BS to me. Ploy to get you to spend more money on caps.

V-man, I might start calling you tree-man. I'd love to sit up in a tree with you and have a brew.

A friend is coming over today to help me set up a motion detector around the chicken coop and also help me with getting a couple rifles cleaned and loaded, ready to go. It's hunting season and the possum may not make it out alive. I've never tried fox, or possum, so will be interesting to see how the stew turns out.

Why would you hunt fox?

Why would you hunt fox?

Because that's what I think killed 3 of my chickens, also maybe make a couple nice, warm, winter hats. I plan on killing whatever got my chickens. I don't want it coming back for more.

Because that's what I think killed 3 of my chickens, also maybe make a couple nice, warm, winter hats. I plan on killing whatever got my chickens. I don't want it coming back for more.

Oh okay. I was thinking that killing one for meat is a bit... pointless. Lots of foxes around here, but they're generally harmless. Even my wussy 22lb papillon dog could probably beat one up.

Coyotes are a different story. Hear them every single night, but haven't seen one in the year and a half I've been here. Still don't trust my dog off-leash and unattended at night. A lot of the counties around here offer $100-200 bounties on the ****ers.

Why would you hunt fox?

Oh okay. I was thinking that killing one for meat is a bit... pointless. Lots of foxes around here, but they're generally harmless. Even my wussy 22lb papillon dog could probably beat one up.

Coyotes are a different story. Hear them every single night, but haven't seen one in the year and a half I've been here. Still don't trust my dog off-leash and unattended at night. A lot of the counties around here offer $100-200 bounties on the ****ers.

Yeah, if it had been coyotes, the dead birds probably would have been ripped to pieces. That's why I am thinking it must have been a fox, he killed one, injured another, that one died overnight, and took off with the third. My dog is a Jack Russell Terrier, probably 15-18 pounds, small dog but bred to chase down foxes. The fox got a taste for fresh chicken and now I have to kill it. Normally they might be harmless, but a fox in the hen house has to go. Poor little chickens. They were so scared after seeing their friends die and one being taken away. :-(

I don't know where you're getting that from, maybe you read it on the internet, but it's wrong. ;)

I can't find the link, but there is an interview with a company rep on Basic Brewing Radio with accurate information if you're really interested.

Not sure which month yet, but it was a 2009 interview. From the posts on various threads, it appears that the rep said that sanitizing right before use is fine. The problem is sanitizing too many (ie getting them wet) and saving some for later use. Those caps will lose (use up) their absorbiness.

If I can find the episode, I'll post a link.

Not sure which month yet, but it was a 2009 interview. From the posts on various threads, it appears that the rep said that sanitizing right before use is fine. The problem is sanitizing too many (ie getting them wet) and saving some for later use. Those caps will lose (use up) their absorbiness.

If I can find the episode, I'll post a link.

Here it is they discuss it around the 2 minute mark

http://ec.libsyn.com/p/a/6/b/a6b3dd...1ce3dae902ea1d01cf8733d6c958dea8&c_id=1452376

Howdy folks! I hope you've all been well.

I have a quick question...

Do any of you ever ferment in corny kegs?

I've thought about it for a long time. I get a lot of settled trub, so I'd have to cut the dip tube in order to not get a clogged poppet when transferring.

The reason I haven't got to the kegs is that I have all 6g carboys. Going to 5g fermentors seems like going backwards.

I've thought about it for a long time. I get a lot of settled trub, so I'd have to cut the dip tube in order to not get a clogged poppet when transferring.

The reason I haven't got to the kegs is that I have all 6g carboys. Going to 5g fermentors seems like going backwards.

Perhaps you could buy an extra dip tube and cut it, then save it just for fermenting.

I ask this question, because it occurs to me that I could fit more cornies in my fermentation freezer than I can buckets or carboys. Then I could actually bulk age big beers and ferment at the same time. I don't bulk age, since I don't have enough room in the freezer, and my house gets way too hot for bulk aging something like a stout or barley wine.

I hadn't considered the 6 gallon to 5 gallon issue. That would be a bit restricting. I might check to see if I can fit one or two cornies with my typical 2 buckets in the freezer. Then I would only use the cornies as a secondary.

I agree. I made a spunding valve and was going to ferment under pressure in cornys and then I realized I'd only be able to put around 4 gal in there. I wish I had a couple sankey's lying around.

Perhaps you could buy an extra dip tube and cut it, then save it just for fermenting.

I ask this question, because it occurs to me that I could fit more cornies in my fermentation freezer than I can buckets or carboys. Then I could actually bulk age big beers and ferment at the same time. I don't bulk age, since I don't have enough room in the freezer, and my house gets way too hot for bulk aging something like a stout or barley wine.

I hadn't considered the 6 gallon to 5 gallon issue. That would be a bit restricting. I might check to see if I can fit one or two cornies with my typical 2 buckets in the freezer. Then I would only use the cornies as a secondary.

how big is your freezer?

I agree. I made a spunding valve and was going to ferment under pressure in cornys and then I realized I'd only be able to put around 4 gal in there. I wish I had a couple sankey's lying around.

I've looked at that too (fermenting in sankes). When I get another pump I'm going to take a shot at that. (BTW, I can get March pumps at cost, yessir).

Leadgolem said:
Hmm. Poll?

I've always loved the cheers song; I have the full version in my iTunes library.

BobbiLynn said:
I once made a Christmas card, called the knight before Christmas, it featured a chess piece.

Sorry to hear about your spewing cider, LG, but glad you saved most of it.

I just picked a tick off my back. Yuck.

GN, peeps, I'm going back to sleep.

I like your ode to Laura. My best high school friend just contacted me via facebook last night. We haven't talked in 17 years. No reason, really, other than she moved to Maine. I know we'll pick up right where we left off.

Varmintman said:
Oh man do I have a great weekend planned. I am taking a tree down in a residential neighborhood that is taller than the plot of land that it is on. Most times that would not be a issue but two homes and two sheds are in the way.

Now most smart folks would rent a lift and limb the tree going up and then block it coming down but not me. I am going to dust off my old rigging gear and climb the tree and do it the old way topping the tree and then falling it.

I love doing things the hard way that involve a greater understanding and technical ability. So I have been dusting off my spurs and treating the leather to a nice conditioning and trying to find my full body harness. I might have given the harness away and if so I will climb it in a Swiss seat.

My wife is pretty angry I am doing this since she says I am to old to go climbing trees any more. But I am so looking forward to doing something that most young kids have not learned to do. That and I figure I will take my mug and a beer up with me and have a nice drink while looking over the world. Hoping my wife goes to take photos:mug:

Have fun and be safe with that tree! Make sure we get to see any pics!

I just did a test on the freezer, and I can just barely fit one corny with two buckets. If the corny was 1/8 inch bigger it wouldn't have fit. I guess I can indeed at least bulk age in a corny without losing fermenter space, and that's all I really want.

I've looked at that too (fermenting in sankes). When I get another pump I'm going to take a shot at that. (BTW, I can get March pumps at cost, yessir).

Fermenting 10-12 gallon batches in 1/2 bbls is my long term plan. Trying to figure out how to fill a 60 gallon barrel is part of the plan, too. Having to brew 5 batches to do it sounds like a PITA.

What's cost on a march pump? Retail is what, $135?

I just did a test on the freezer, and I can just barely fit one corny with two buckets. If the corny was 1/8 inch bigger it wouldn't have fit. I guess I can indeed at least bulk age in a corny without losing fermenter space, and that's all I really want.

It never gets above 65 in my basement even in the peak of summer so my kegs just sit next to the keggerator and age until I'm ready for them.

So here is a funny story. Don't know if I've mentioned it in this thread, but my wife and I have started running to try and not end up 100 lbs overweight with diabetes like most folks around here. Road running is both boring and painful, so we go to a park and trail run. We usually pick a route where I can add on an extra mile or so at the end if I feel like it and meet up back at the car.

When I got back to the car today, she was there waiting on me. When I came around to where I could see her, she was crying, covered in dirt, and had two bloody knees. Obviously, she'd fallen. I assumed she tripped. Half crying and half laughing, she managed to get out 'I got hit by a deer'. She didn't get a good look at it, but sounds like it was probably a yearling. We're both glad it didn't hit her harder, or get tangled up with her when she fell, and that it was a smaller deer with no antlers. She could have gotten messed up pretty bad and although pretty sore, is just fine.

It was pretty much just like this, except not really at all:

Last edited by a moderator:
TNGabe said:
So here is a funny story. Don't know if I've mentioned it in this thread, but my wife and I have started running to try and not end up 100 lbs overweight with diabetes like most folks around here. Road running is both boring and painful, so we go to a park and trail run. We usually pick a route where I can add on an extra mile or so at the end if I feel like it and meet up back at the car.

When I got back to the car today, she was there waiting on me. When I came around to where I could see her, she was crying, covered in dirt, and had two bloody knees. Obviously, she'd fallen. I assumed she tripped. Half crying and half laughing, she managed to get out 'I got hit by a deer'. She didn't get a good look at it, but sounds like it was probably a yearling. We're both glad it didn't hit her harder, or get tangled up with her when she fell, and that it was a smaller deer with no antlers. She could have gotten messed up pretty bad and although pretty sore, is just fine.

It was pretty much just like this, except not really at all:
Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2oymHHyV1M

Good thing it was a small deer! And now she's got a really cool story :)

It never gets above 65 in my basement even in the peak of summer so my kegs just sit next to the keggerator and age until I'm ready for them.

I wish I had a cool basement. The houses that do have basements in my city are still hotter than that this time of year.

In summer my house temp varies between 75-80. That lasts for about 4 or 5 months. I'd get another chest freezer, but there just isn't anywhere to put one. I'm aspiring to building a storage shed that I can put all of my tools and materials for my construction business in. That would free up my garage for brewing.

Is it really going to ruin beer to age it hot? I've for stuff that's been in the garage for years that still tastes great after a few hours in the fridge. I keep all my fancy stuff in the back of the pantry. It doesn't get hotter than 65 in there.

Fermenting 10-12 gallon batches in 1/2 bbls is my long term plan. Trying to figure out how to fill a 60 gallon barrel is part of the plan, too. Having to brew 5 batches to do it sounds like a PITA.

What's cost on a march pump? Retail is what, $135?

$80.

I can brew a 13g batch. That would be perfect for a sanke.

Yeah, foxes are fairly harmless. Unless you have chickens or a cat. Foxes will kill domestic cats even when they aren't hungry. They compete for the same food if the cat is feral.
Yeah, if it had been coyotes, the dead birds probably would have been ripped to pieces. That's why I am thinking it must have been a fox, he killed one, injured another, that one died overnight, and took off with the third. My dog is a Jack Russell Terrier, probably 15-18 pounds, small dog but bred to chase down foxes. The fox got a taste for fresh chicken and now I have to kill it. Normally they might be harmless, but a fox in the hen house has to go. Poor little chickens. They were so scared after seeing their friends die and one being taken away. :-(
You know what's really a terror to chickens? A feral mink. Those little bastidges will kill any chicken they can catch. Then they will just leave the bodies laying around if they aren't hungry. They will literally kill every single chicken in a coupe.

Thank you LRB. Sounds like the reaction is a little slower then I was thinking. Good to know.

Stauffbier said:

Yes ! I have I got one of those ferment locks that go on you gas post . Notes : I have got a screen on the end of my liquid line you can get them I believe from chi. Also for beers that I know are going to be reactive during ferment I run what = a few bottles off the keg (with very low co2 psi) I normally do this with at least a little just to ensure the screen is in place before I pitch. But if you are close to your gas line or you cannot open your top without getting it in the wort then you need to get some out. Because the lit can get stuff on it. And if you filled pass you has line then it will back flow thu your ferment lock.

When it is finished you can leave it in there but the key is not to move it, not to pour too much off it too fast @ to high of a psi and if you move it let it rest. You will get some sediment in the glass. And it will get worst as you get lower in the keg

I normally siphon it out to clean it and then re-add it to secondary it. But not if I get lazy.

In short it works great if you do not have enough primary's. Or you want to save space. Plus I guess u can use your keggerator to control ferment temps too if you only had one corny in it.

Break

I will try one o2 removing cap after sanitizing it and the rest ill just hand wipe them just before I cap.

To clear the question.

Break

Dan I have a song we can use. Not to tug at navy roots . But it is a good song to sing when you drink a little .

Anchors Away.

Is it really going to ruin beer to age it hot? I've for stuff that's been in the garage for years that still tastes great after a few hours in the fridge. I keep all my fancy stuff in the back of the pantry. It doesn't get hotter than 65 in there.

That's a good question. I tend to agree with you, but I've read so many recommendations against it. I have a 15 month old RIS in bottles that has been as warm as 80 and as cool as 65, and it tastes great. Perhaps I'm over thinking, and I should just age at room temp like I have been.

With this said, how do you feel about the idea of dry hopping an IPA at 80 degrees?

@miker...

That's all good info, and it's good to know. Thanks for sharing! Where do you get the airlock fittings for the posts?

I have but not to often, as PP states dealing with the trub loss. You can secondary in them then do a keg to keg transfer at about 2-3 psi so you leave that little bit of sediment + leaves you with crystal clear beers.

Note to save on gas I will use a kicked keg to transfer:)

I use a gas QD with a line into a bottle of starsan height in my lagering fridge is tight.

Stauffbier said:
With this said, how do you feel about the idea of dry hopping an IPA at 80 degrees?
I actually feel great about it. I made the mistake once of trying to dry hop while cold crashing, and at 36 degrees the hops didn't contribute anywhere near the aroma that they do at room temps. Makes sense, because oils are more soluble at higher temps.

I use kicked kegs to purge sometimes. Why not? I wouldn't think a kicked keg would have enough pressure to push a whole keg though.

I have metering valve on it to slow it down so you don't get a rush an stir up sediment. No only about 4 gallons at 10 psi better than wasting I also yous to purge and store clean kegs til I can keg:)

I can't remember where I got it but it is like this one .

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/keg-fermentor-kit.html

Also all has anyone been having any issues with Midwest supplies ,?

I ordered almost 300$ of kit/s and stuff almost 4 days ago ? I did not hear from them so I called they said @ 11 am my time 10 am there time they would get it out today. And send me a tracking number. It is 10 min to midnight and still no tracking number ????

Back