I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It took me to the age of the Internet in recent years to find this movie. I think it was an old movie when I saw it for the first time in the late 70's, maybe early eighties.

It's about a POW camp in WWII. The strictest of German prison camps holed in a mountain fortress 10 miles from the Swiss border. A few break out in a lifting way.

Enjoy, and if you can't watch now, please find the time soon

The Birdmen

http://youtu.be/PNafDPikh6E

The Officers Prison (OFLAG) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oflag_IV-C at Colditz Castle, is more than 400 miles away from the Swiss border.

Good story, though.

Good evening all. Today is the first off day in a few. I came home and took a few hours nappy. The budget won't let me enjoy the black Friday sales, which by itself is not bad. You could not pay me to fight those people killing each other for a TV.

Today has been a pretty good day. This evening late I turned the TV on and watched The Magnificent Seven. If there is one thing my grandfather instilled in me when he was alive, that was how to enjoy a good western. lol

Tomorrow will be much the same, with the exception of watching some SEC football. Alabama and Auburn is playing the Iron Bowl as always to wrap up the regular season. Aside from enjoying a few homebrews, I don't expect to be very productive. lol

The sleepy munster is kinda picking on me this evening and I find myself struggling to stay awake. It sucks because I don't want to surrender the night. lol. So anyway guys, hope each of you are well and have a great weekend.

KT

Good tidings to all!

Started work on a mash paddle. 4' 1" x 4" red oak. I initially bought the same lumber in mahogany but questioned HBT and was informed that wood makes beautiful furniture but is too oily for a mash paddle. Too bad, it would have been a beaut!

I found out later red oak might not be optimum either, maple is the norm. Oh well. I got wood and its oak. Made the cuts today with a sabre saw and smoothed the edges with a 1/4" round over router bit. I still need to drill some holes in the bottom and sand. This will never make the mash paddles hall of fame. But it's mine and I made it. [emoji3][emoji3]

Good tidings to all!

Started work on a mash paddle. 4' 1" x 4" red oak. I initially bought the same lumber in mahogany but questioned HBT and was informed that wood makes beautiful furniture but is too oily for a mash paddle. Too bad, it would have been a beaut!

I found out later red oak might not be optimum either, maple is the norm. Oh well. I got wood and its oak. Made the cuts today with a sabre saw and smoothed the edges with a 1/4" round over router bit. I still need to drill some holes in the bottom and sand. This will never make the mash paddles hall of fame. But it's mine and I made it. [emoji3][emoji3]

I don't know about too oily. I made mine out of african teak, which is very oily, and I've been using it for years, no problem.

Anyway, your's looks great. Mine won't be in the hall of fame either :) In fact, the first one I made was a little too fancy. It broke in half the first time I used it. Second one is much stronger.

The whole thing is pretty much done from eye. I made some initial measurements But didn't stick with them. Especially the holes. If I'd of been much more off on the top left one.....hmmm. This will work though.

I named her Ironsides

So my laptop finally died after about 7 years and all I can think of with regards to the laptop is that all of my beersmith files are gone and I don't have any hard copies of any of my recipes aside from the ones I've posted to HBT. Bummer.

That's a shame Sfgoat. I just updated my old laptop with windows 10. I got concerned it would not survive the upgrade. It took a day and a half. As I type this now I worried whether BeerSmith will still work (it probably will). It is really the only reason I still use that machine. I wish Beersmith would work on a Chromebook. I had booting up my laptop. I can bring my strike water to temp faster than that machine boots up.

OMG you guys, back stuff up. There's free software for doing that (e.g., Crashplan, which I love because it sends me emails daily letting me know it did its job).

You can back up to a thumb drive, external drive, online.

I do have a 4Tb external that I use for back ups. Just never backed up my beersmith files. In the grand scheme it's not a huge loss but sucks all the same.

That's a shame Sfgoat. I just updated my old laptop with windows 10. I got concerned it would not survive the upgrade. It took a day and a half. As I type this now I worried whether BeerSmith will still work (it probably will). It is really the only reason I still use that machine. I wish Beersmith would work on a Chromebook. I had booting up my laptop. I can bring my strike water to temp faster than that machine boots up.

Mine survived the update to Windows 10, but i'll tell ya this, my two computers (2007 models) are several times slower than when I was using Windows 7. The bad part is, it seems to be worse on this forum than when using without. I'm not for sure if it has to do with adds and banners, or if it just doesn't like Windows 10. It seems to work fine on sites such as Facebook. Youtube is also a noticeable bit slower.

I'm almost maxed out on my Verizon Hot Spot after the downloads, so they may have me throttled back a bit. I wish at this point though that I would have never upgraded. I'll wait till my Verizon resets on the 12 before getting nervous. I wish there was a way I could pinpoint if it was the pop up adds, or just a slow machine not liking the updates. It seems to work fine most everywhere else, but takes forever loading up the HBT page. Oftentimes I have to wait 2-3 minutes before I can hit the links.

Evening everyone. Back at work tonight. Has not been a bad shift so far. Crews are milling about catching up on their work. My desk is cleaned off for a while at least. This Friday i'll be loosing a medic to the fire department and will have to ride the truck a while till they get me a replacement. I dread this since it usually puts me behind on my work from the minute I walk in the door. We have someone hired, but he'll have to work out his notice at his other job. Experienced medic who has worked on my shift before, so I'm happy to have a replacement who knows his way around the ambulance.

I had a pretty good weekend off. Alabama won the Iron bowl and I had fresh homebrew to enjoy. A guest of mine was able to steer off his commercial favorite and try a Kolsch that I had made. After wiping the condensation off the glass admiring the clarity, he kept asking if I really made it three times. I feel he was quite happy and I was glad that he liked it.

I have two batches cold crashing right now at home. One is a Irish Blond 1.071 and the other is a Belgian Wit 1.069. I'm debating if I want to transfer the Irish Blond to a secondary so that I can use gelatin in it. I'm not really concerned about the Wit since it's naturally going to be cloudy orange.

I've only used gelatin in my kegs and don't recall ever using them to bottle with I don't think. Personally, I'm leaning to just using a bit of extra care when transferring to the bottling bucket and call it done. Surely after 5 days sitting at 35 degrees that most everything in there will have already settled out.

One thing I would like to ask you guys about is the Belgian Wit. This time I used 1 ounce of finely ground coriander and 1 ounce of finely ground sweet orange peel. When I tasted the hydrometer sample, the coriander was overpowering almost. I kinda regret using the spice mill on it now. I'm really hoping with some conditioning time, it will mellow out some.

Anyway, wanted to jump in a give a midnight shout out to everyone.

Bigken462

Glad you found this thread!

To my friend Passedpawn, who I call Pappy. This thread's been going on three years now. Thank you. People have come and gone, that's normal, other things come up. Totally understandable.

Thanks, truly for supporting this thread. It's nice to come here. You kept it up a year or so ago when I gave up HBT for lent and I reckon it will be here a long time. 🙃[emoji1]

Cheers Pappy!

Dan

Thanks for your kind words sir. I noticed a few post back - well several weeks back I think that you was a service member when you were younger. If you did, thank you for your service.

No military time for me, although I regret not manning up after a failed hearing test in the Navy. Plenty of other things I could have done. They spooked me at the processing center when I went down for my physical. At the ripe age of 17, I had never been away from home before in my life. Because of the Greyhound strikes in the 80's, just getting to Maxwell Airforce base by itself was a miracle. I promised myself that if I ever seen the soil of home again, that the Navy would never see the hair of my keester. Till this day it's one of my biggest regrets in life.

Having said all that, I did get a taste of the Iraq conflict. I accepted a remote duty medic position and was stationed in Tikrit for just under 24 months. The travel while it lasted was nice, but I was glad to see the green grass of Cullman Alabama again. People take for granted being able to walk barefooted to the bathroom. lol

Hey big Ken I noticed that coriander did mellow rather quickly. My was dried from over grown cilantro plant I had so it was very fresh

Maybe it will. I was hoping to get them off my hands tonight or tomorrow, but I'm down to springs and bolts with my brakes on my truck. I've put off, and put off way to long. Procrastination just bit me in the keester. I probably allowed a 80 dollar preventative maintenance issue snowball into about 250 bucks worth of parts - if I'm lucky.

Sadly I'm not mechanically inclined. I'm a paramedic who patches ppl up, but hopefully between some Youtube videos and a ounce of good luck the damage has not spread into the calipers. Ordinarily this would not be such a task, but it's just me and myself with one vehicle for transportation. Kinds sucks when you got the wheels off and trucks off on blocks needing to go turn rotars. lol

You don't bother to turn rotors anymore unless you actually have the equipment at the house to do it. It costs more to have them turned than to just get new.

Yeah, it still brakes just as well as before. But the sounds coming from the rear wheels are damn right horrid. The right rear is the worst, left rear does have some grooves. Front L&R still feel smooth.

How's this for luck. I purchased this truck new in 2003 and still have the factory brakes on it! 139k miles with one set of brakes. Of course, they've been squealing for the past 30k. lol

Tis would be the time my granddad if he were alive, or dad would be saying............I taught you better. In regards of taking care of your stuff. I've just put it off and it never fails that other pressing bills are due each month. When I backed it into the parking spot tonight at work, I dang near thought I ripped a axle off when it grabbed.

On a good note, I have cold homebrew at home. lol

You don't bother to turn rotors anymore unless you actually have the equipment at the house to do it. It costs more to have them turned than to just get new.

That really surprised me the first time I saw that. It used to be $20 per rotor to turn. Now it's $70, and new rotors are $70. (Or something like that.)

WTF happened?

Yeah rotors n drums now are throw aways.

I called around many yrs ago, 15-20yrs, cause my wifes car was eating up pads and they all wanted more to do the turning than brand new rotors. Haven't sought out having anything turned since.

Probably a multitude of things, mostly not wanting to have that equip in store when you can have a bunch more shelf space or the man hrs fixing used.

How's this for luck. I purchased this truck new in 2003 and still have the factory brakes on it! 139k miles with one set of brakes. Of course, they've been squealing for the past 30k. lol

Doesn't sound like you did a lot of hauling in your truck to get 140k out of some pads, but it does sound like you got your money's worth out of them.

Thinking about the sounds this made last night while backing into my spot, I took advantage to pull the truck into our work bay this morning around 5 to see what kinda special bolts I might have to purchase tools for. I'll just say I should have my arse whipped for driving this on the road. The brakes totally failed as I was backing into the bay. I'll have to replace the rotors/pads and one brake caliper. (So far).

Let's just say, there was only about 50% on the rotor left and no inner pad left. Ugg

Thinking about the sounds this made last night while backing into my spot, I took advantage to pull the truck into our work bay this morning around 5 to see what kinda special bolts I might have to purchase tools for. I'll just say I should have my arse whipped for driving this on the road. The brakes totally failed as I was backing into the bay. I'll have to replace the rotors/pads and one brake caliper. (So far).

Let's just say, there was only about 50% on the rotor left and no inner pad left. Ugg

You should be able to replace the pads and rotors with just a socket set (and a piece of pipe to use as a breaker bar). You'll need a C clamp to get the caliper on. I helped my son change all of that on his car last year. He did most of it in one evening.

Buy all of it online, cheap. Ebay.

[edit] I don't think we changed the calipers. Man, if you damaged the caliper you must have let those pads go to long.

Daily driver, 2003 2500HD Sierra, 156K miles. Purchased new with 13 miles on the clock.

Original brakes, second set of tires.

I'm embarrassed to say I was foolish enough to drive on these things. But on a honest note, each time I would stick my fingers inside the holes of the tires, I would only feel slight gouges in the right rear which was the bad one. I never dreamed it was like this on the inside and it never crossed my mind to pull a tire and look. When you're broke you're broke, but when your brakes disintegrate at work, you're really broke.

226.00 bucks this morning at the auto parts store. I got the rear ones replaced. The left rear was actually not bad at all. I could could not manage to break the caliber bolt loose on the left rear. I went ahead and stuck the pads on there anyhow. The rotor was actually very smooth )on both sides. lol. I stopped trying when I noticed I was beginning to slip with the tool and round the edges off. I know better than to keep trying with those. I'll get some help from a co-worker in the next cpl days and pull that rotor.

I'll replace the front pads on another payday. But for now, she brakes very smooth, and a hell of a lot quieter. lol

i-MK2bk7v-L.jpg

i-M6R48n7-L.jpg

I used to make fun of blonds driving with the oil light on thinking if it got worse, it would burn brighter. From now on, I'm just going to shut up. 226 bucks, two bandaids and a few dozen cuss words later, I'm home enjoying a homebrew before going to bed.

Wow the spammers are out in force today. Spent the last hour or so flagging spam threads. Would be really awesome if we didn't have to wait a minute in between reporting posts as they are posting spam faster than we are allowed to flag it. I applaud the mods for removing it as fast as they do however when the spammers are active this forum really is unusable. I give up and will be back later in the day when the posts can actually be browser and read without having to filter through page after page of garbage posts.

Wow the spammers are out in force today. Spent the last hour or so flagging spam threads. Would be really awesome if we didn't have to wait a minute in between reporting posts as they are posting spam faster than we are allowed to flag it. I applaud the mods for removing it as fast as they do however when the spammers are active this forum really is unusable. I give up and will be back later in the day when the posts can actually be browser and read without having to filter through page after page of garbage posts.

You should be able to flag the individual posters rather than every spam they submit. The Mods use a account nuke option that will get all of their posts when they recognize the jerks.

Back