I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should be able to flag the individual posters rather than every spam they submit. The Mods use a account nuke option that will get all of their posts when they recognize the jerks.

Yeah probably. But I am almost always browsing on the mobile app and if there is a way to block users posts I am unaware of where that option is.

Wow the spammers are out in force today. Spent the last hour or so flagging spam threads. Would be really awesome if we didn't have to wait a minute in between reporting posts as they are posting spam faster than we are allowed to flag it. I applaud the mods for removing it as fast as they do however when the spammers are active this forum really is unusable. I give up and will be back later in the day when the posts can actually be browser and read without having to filter through page after page of garbage posts.

Thanks, I did see your reports. You were busy!

If it's the same spammer, just report one. When we ban spammers, we can take out all their posts and threads with a single click.

BTW, I just got access to a spam filtering tool here on the forum. I'm working at finding a way to filter some of this stuff (it won't be 100%, but it will get better). I know it seems there would be simple ways to limit the spammers, but this forum doesn't have the built-in controls that you'd expect. So, the "obvious" solutions don't exist here.

Good tidings all!

I'm struggling with a question that has been on my mind, closely intermixed with my life for 20 years.

Why cancer? Why fvvking cancer?

I don't have it; that I know of, not for now. The life I live will probably give an open path to it. Reason I say that is cause. 1) I'm nicotine dependent, smoked cigarettes for many years moved to smoke less tobacco because of smoking laws , plus nicotine rush is constant. I rarely spit or have an obvious load of dip in my mouth these days, but believe me, if I'm awake - there is some kind of nicotine releasing tobacco tween my cheek and gum.

I also don't eat a lot of fruit and veggies... Some but not a lot

I'm 51, starting to feel some body aches. My right knee for the last year gets sore. My wife thinks it's gout. I'm not convinced about that but don't ignore the idea either. I will research gout and the causes. I always thought it a lack of vitamin C. I was probably v c over covered and am now.

I think the problem with my knee is from a motorcycle mishap I got into 2013. I was riding home one night after work. Elevenish pm. It was a dark road. Two dogs i didn't see till the last second were sitting in my lane. I quickly slammed on my front [emoji39]and back brake and steered to the middle of the space between these dogs.

Didn't completely miss them. On my right the dog's head met the top of my shin.

In the end which included a trip to the ER, x rays and crutches for a month. I was good to go. I'm pretty sure at this point there is nothing wrong with me that I haven't brought on from my lifestyle.

Man. These days My life is the contradiction to good health and I'm asking for trouble. My parents led a healthy life and died early from cancer And I don't know why, have never figured it out.

If my mom and dad were still going strong, Dad would be 79 and Mom 77. So many years after they died of cancer. So many years we could have shared together... Lost

Cancer you bastid Die MFr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!' Die!!!

Yep, I'm cursing the cancer demons, too. My dad was diagnosed with small cell carcinoma last summer. Four rounds of chemo and it reduced the tumor quite a bit, which means while it won't go away, it bought Dad some time. The fact that he's 91 does not diminish the sadness we all have. But we're trying to make the most of whatever time he has left.

Yep, I'm cursing the cancer demons, too. My dad wasdiagnosed with small cell carcinoma last summer. Four rounds of chemo and it reduced the tumor quite a bit, which means while it won't go away, it bought Dad some time. The fact that he's 91 does not diminish the sadness we all have. But we're trying to make the most of whatever time he has left.

I used to think Loosing a loved one lucky enough to live till their 90s made it easier to see them pass away. Not going to lie, I still think that

However, Loss is felt among loved ones; there is no good age to die. We all will. The timing always is bad.

Dan, I am with you also for the Cancer being a real A-Hole. My cousins 14 year old daughter has been fighting brain cancer for the past year or two now. The kid does not deserve to be going through this. I am not meaning to hijack, just stating that cancer is a real jerk and makes terrible choices on who gets it. A 14 year old kid who last year was more concerned about how her mother feels about her going in for a surgical biopsy than her fear of what may happen to her is not the kind of person who should be going through it.

OMG you guys, back stuff up. There's free software for doing that (e.g., Crashplan, which I love because it sends me emails daily letting me know it did its job).

You can back up to a thumb drive, external drive, online.

I learned that lesson the hard way years ago. HD pooped out and I lost about 2000 photos. Now I always keep a backup. I used it once so far, when I upgraded my laptop to a SSD. After formatting, I used the backup to load it up.

Yep, cancer bites. Some nasty brain tumor took my grandma last year. My mother in law battled breast cancer.

Yep, I'm cursing the cancer demons, too. My dad was diagnosed with small cell carcinoma last summer. Four rounds of chemo and it reduced the tumor quite a bit, which means while it won't go away, it bought Dad some time. The fact that he's 91 does not diminish the sadness we all have. But we're trying to make the most of whatever time he has left.

Dan, I am with you also for the Cancer being a real A-Hole. My cousins 14 year old daughter has been fighting brain cancer for the past year or two now. The kid does not deserve to be going through this. I am not meaning to hijack, just stating that cancer is a real jerk and makes terrible choices on who gets it. A 14 year old kid who last year was more concerned about how her mother feels about her going in for a surgical biopsy than her fear of what may happen to her is not the kind of person who should be going through it.

I've found cancer battlers, survivors and those that don't survive, amazing people. Maybe a rebellious streak comes out and they say "you will not take me yet!" Some real determination to look death in the eye and say no! Not just yet.

Was watching a OETA on cancer not long ago. There is a new form of treatment overseas (europe) that shows some very targeted promise. It's basically nanotech. Chemo therapy drugs are wrapped up in a micropod that are electrically attracted to cancer cells, the cancer cell absorbs the pod, and the pod degenerates from the heat releasing the chemo directly into the cancer cell and not affecting any tissues or other cells.

It is showing a lot of promise in a more effective solution to cancer until we better understand the mechanisms of it's cause.

I read something recentlyish that there has been a discovery that, of all things, asprin when added to other cancer treatments like Chemo or Radiation seems to be making the standard treatments more effective. They said it was something like for these treatments to be effective the cancerous cells need bloodflow to allow the treatments to work. Chemo needs to get to the cells and radiation needs to oxidize the cells to be effective. Apparently tumors do not play well and the capilaries and what have you do not necessarily give good bloodflow to the entire tumor so that the lesser flow cells do not get treated. Asprin thins the blood and it effectively leaks out into the surrounding cancer cells. Kinda cool that you can add cancer treatment to the list of things our oldest drug can do (without drug resistance being mentioned).

Hey guys, been off a few days and bringing in another busy shift for a first night back. In other sad news, I finally got word that the house I've been leasing has been sold. This is not unexpected, but something I've been dreading for a while.

For now, I've been hitting up the lease adds for something I can afford. Sadly, I won't be able to do anything remotely close to what I've been used to since it was a rather unique rental agreement that I made 4 1/2 years ago when the housing market was really bad. The home owner lives in another state and was simply wanting to keep the house filled with someone he knew till the market picked up. What was supposed to be only a 2 year lease, increased to 4 1/2 years. It's a beautiful private home and I've been spoiled.

Next month I will be slapped back into reality with what I can afford on my income. I have a few leads which will offer a yard big enough to park my lawnmower trailer and cargo trailer in, but having a problem locating a house within my price range that offers some sort of carport or garage that I can brew in.

So, I guess for now, all I can do is plan my new batches for when I get settled in to wherever that location may be. I'll miss my old place, but I'm ready to get started with a new chapter. For the past 2 1/2 years it's been open to the public for show and I've had to endure having every Tom, Dick and Harry pilfer through my house. I'm ready for some privacy regardless of the brewing space.

Hey guys, been off a few days and bringing in another busy shift for a first night back. In other sad news, I finally got word that the house I've been leasing has been sold. This is not unexpected, but something I've been dreading for a while.

For now, I've been hitting up the lease adds for something I can afford. Sadly, I won't be able to do anything remotely close to what I've been used to since it was a rather unique rental agreement that I made 4 1/2 years ago when the housing market was really bad. The home owner lives in another state and was simply wanting to keep the house filled with someone he knew till the market picked up. What was supposed to be only a 2 year lease, increased to 4 1/2 years. It's a beautiful private home and I've been spoiled.

Next month I will be slapped back into reality with what I can afford on my income. I have a few leads which will offer a yard big enough to park my lawnmower trailer and cargo trailer in, but having a problem locating a house within my price range that offers some sort of carport or garage that I can brew in.

So, I guess for now, all I can do is plan my new batches for when I get settled in to wherever that location may be. I'll miss my old place, but I'm ready to get started with a new chapter. For the past 2 1/2 years it's been open to the public for show and I've had to endure having every Tom, Dick and Harry pilfer through my house. I'm ready for some privacy regardless of the brewing space.

My thoughts are to look for a place with some semblance of a yard, and if you end up with a townhome or some such maybe with the landlords permission you could build in a small walk-in shed or lean-to under the deck/deck stairs that you could use as a windbreak and brewing space. You are a homebrewer. You will find a way. Otherwise smaller batch stovetop is still always an option in the colder months and save the larger batches for fairer weather.

Cheers to all the HBT members who's helped me go from stove top to BIAB to all grain in this garage. Good memories, great fellowship and good beer with SEC football enjoyed here in this lil place I deemed my mancave.

i-qDR5KCb-L.jpg

Ok, granted that space is going to be hard to replace. I wish my garage was that roomy and uncluttered.

Yep,reclaimed barn hardwood. Ceiling fans, heater and AC. I just put a thick coat of epoxy down this past summer when the owner told me he was going to take it off the market for a while. My luck, he later changes his mind to switch realtors just as I was about to breath a sigh of relief. This last one has been absolutely relentless showing the house. I can't throw a damn sock down out of place or get lazy on the dishes before she was calling me to let me know they were showing the house. She's just doing her job, but it still sucks. lol

I don't fault her for doing her job, but dang I'm just ready for some privacy. If I were married, the income bracket would be plenty for this house. 3br, 3 bath, fenced yard. Very private area on the lake, boat access. I'm spoiled really that I've been renting for way less than half of what a mortgage payment would cost. It's back to reality for me. It was fun while it lasted.

Yep,reclaimed barn hardwood. Ceiling fans, heater and AC. I just put a thick coat of epoxy down this past summer when the owner told me he was going to take it off the market for a while. My luck, he later changes his mind to switch realtors just as I was about to breath a sigh of relief. This last one has been absolutely relentless showing the house. I can't throw a damn sock down out of place or get lazy on the dishes before she was calling me to let me know they were showing the house. She's just doing her job, but it still sucks. lol

I don't fault her for doing her job, but dang I'm just ready for some privacy. If I were married, the income bracket would be plenty for this house. 3br, 3 bath, fenced yard. Very private area on the lake, boat access. I'm spoiled really that I've been renting for way less than half of what a mortgage payment would cost. It's back to reality for me. It was fun while it lasted.

Probably explains why your landlord is hell-bent on getting it sold.

Too bad...looks like a really cool man cave you've set up.

Probably explains why your landlord is hell-bent on getting it sold.

Too bad...looks like a really cool man cave you've set up.

Oh yes, there is no doubt he's taking a loss. If there had been a chance in the world he would have settled for a higher rent amount and just keep it as a rental, I would have gladly paid up, but from day one, he made it clear this was just a temporary venture. He, neither I ever expected it to take this long to sell as it did.

I've been blessed to be able to call it home as long as I have, but tis time to move forward.

How's everyone tonight?

Holy moly! Who made wives the boss? [emoji58]

Pretty sure mine would make a MARINE Drill Instructor wince.

The whole thing is pretty much done from eye. I made some initial measurements But didn't stick with them. Especially the holes. If I'd of been much more off on the top left one.....hmmm. This will work though.

I named her Ironsides

This is my mash paddle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My mash paddle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
My mash paddle, without me, is useless. Without my mash paddle, I am useless. I must use my mash paddle true. I must ...

So my laptop finally died after about 7 years and all I can think of with regards to the laptop is that all of my beersmith files are gone and I don't have any hard copies of any of my recipes aside from the ones I've posted to HBT. Bummer.

Yank the HD and stick it in a USB enclosure?

Good tidings all!

I'm 51, starting to feel some body aches. My right knee for the last year gets sore. My wife thinks it's gout. I'm not convinced about that but don't ignore the idea either. I will research gout and the causes. I always thought it a lack of vitamin C. I was probably v c over covered and am now. ....

Cancer you bastid Die MFr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!' Die!!!

Dan,

Understand that any research involving WebMD will indicate you have two weeks to live!

And I agree with your sentiments about Cancer! I still wear a Livestrong bracelet, not because of Lanch, but because I believe the Livestrong manifesto about believing in life!

Dan - ask your doc to add the test for uric acid in your next blood test. If elevated, you are at risk for gout. Very simple way to know where you stand with gout.

Dan,

Understand that any research involving WebMD will indicate you have two weeks to live!

[/URL]

And for the love, if you happen to go to the Doc. Do not under any circumstances use any terminology you picked up from such website, nor mention you even thought to point your browser there.

I can't tell you how many 911 calls we get from people who have advanced their medical knowledge from there, only to have it smacked down upon arrival to the ED. lol

But in all seriousness, get that uric acid checked. Excessive use of caffeinated drinks can be hard on the body. I say this, while just purchased 5 two liter sodas today. lol

Get to feeling better buddy!

Hello to all!

First off, thanks for the advice. I met a wonderful Doctor a month ago. I was pretty sick. Everybody at the hospital were pretty wonderful actually. I need to check back in with her, the doc. She and I had a good talk about my health. I admitted to her my lifestyle is no longer a healthy one and I don't like going to doctors because I don't want to be judged. She said, hey we're not all like that. Give me a chance. First doctor aside from my pops I ever hugged. [emoji3]

Had a long talk with my daughter today. It was great!!

I'm not sure if what I'm about to say, I should.

She's gay. Today we had a long talk about it. Believe me true. I'm Okay with her being gay. It's how she was born. She had no more control over her sexual preference than I have over the size of my ears. I'm not super religious, probably fall more into an agnostic category. But I do entirely believe in a creator of life. Men and women create life every day. Something created men and women. That is the creator.

The creator made you and me. Evolution is a natural occurrence. First time I made bread , (thank you yeast and the creator of yeast) my bread came out ok, not great. As time went on I used the same basic yeast and fine tuned my process. I think the creator of life did the same thing. If you believe we are made in Gods image,, our creator given flesh. We are him.

This is my girl, my baby, my blood, me in flesh and life. My child and part of me. I'm one with her as every father is to a child.

IMG_9451.mp4.mov

That link didn't work. Maybe this one will. Megs and my son's very old dog, Amos. You can see in his eye yes commitment but he's tiring

Dan, you have a beautiful daughter. I'm sure your love and support mean more than you can imagine. Times are changing, for the better IMO. Hopefully she will be able to be happy being who she is.

Mr. Dan, a love for his daughter is unconditional. Thank you for standing up for your family.

I'm off tonight, but about to head to bed, but wanted to jump in and say hello to everyone. Tomorrow night I start back to work and already dreading it.

I've got to get started looking for a new pad, I'm not sure what's around the corner for me, but I'll get this off my back at some point. the house I was hoping for kinda fell through. I was ready to sign the lease, but by the time I woke up to schedule a apt to see the inside, they told me it was no longer available. I was kinda bumbed about that since it had a nice oversized garage.

The hunt continues, but for now, it's time to hit the sack.

Later everyone,

KT

Each of your comment's and support mean the world to me. I should address each individually. Give me time and I will.

Taking off work soon for Christmas and much needed time together with my kids.

Thank you all for your friendship and support!

Dan

Dan, you have a beautiful daughter. I'm sure your love and support mean more than you can imagine. Times are changing, for the better IMO. Hopefully she will be able to be happy being who she is.

I truly believe you are correct on the first three sentences. As for as the fourth, I have concerns about that too. The world is becoming more educated but there is still much ingrained insecurity and hostility towards gays. My girl is very strong. I just hope for her a happy life. She is happy now and understands the challenge laid before her.

I tried to put up a short video she sent me but it didn't work. I'm sort of glad it didn't. Not because I'm ashamed of her...just maybe it wasn't my place to show here. But I will say. She called it family check in

I'm not going to use her name, and it went like this

Family: are you still gay?
Her- a rainbow flag above her head. With a computer arrow pointing to it
Her: yes
It was a gif, not so much a video

I have no idea how those short abbreviated gif things work but they do get a point across

Mr. Dan, a love for his daughter is unconditional. Thank you for standing up for your family.
I'm off tonight, but about to head to bed, but wanted to jump in and say hello to everyone. Tomorrow night I start back to work and already dreading it.

I've got to get started looking for a new pad, I'm not sure what's around the corner for me, but I'll get this off my back at some point. the house I was hoping for kinda fell through. I was ready to sign the lease, but by the time I woke up to schedule a apt to see the inside, they told me it was no longer available. I was kinda bumbed about that since it had a nice oversized garage.

The hunt continues, but for now, it's time to hit the sack.

Later everyone,

KT

KT
Thank you for your good words!

I get the impression from your posts here you deal with life and death losses or wins on a daily basis. That could make a person; out of self preservation, very cold hearted - an only way to survive the trama of it all. Each day.

But you haven't been pulled into that; yet. Stay strong my friend. Please keep doing what you do. But never not ( is that a double negative grammar police?) let it take you down, long term from your conviction from helping others

Dan

Nice pics Dan. She's your future.

Pappy, she is. Truly!

The future is now.

No better words ever said. I live in the past a lot. Sometimes I wish I could go back to the past and do life differently but, unless I find a Delorean with a flux capacitor and Dr Emmett Brown - that's not happening.

I need move forward in life aggressively.

Dan,
While I must agree there is still some bias against those who prefer the company of their own sex over the other, tolerance levels are getting much better. When I was a kid and going through school, Gay was a bad word. When I made it to later years in school it was more accepted. You didnt judge someone because they weren't straight because you already knew them. Now I am seeing a lot more tolerance in the schools over sexual preference as well as with things like being the weird kid who wants to wear clothes from the thrift store to be ironic. Sure, there will always be people being singled out for this or for that but I attribute that more to the fact that people cant help but want to be giant A-holes when in a group rather than over any set bias. Things are improving by the year. Hopefully we can eventually find a way to get rid of the A-hole gene though.

Individual persons can be smart. Its once they become a group of people that they become idiots and jerks.

Beautiful daughter Dan. I have one too. She's 21 and straight. I think. She is my little girl forever and if she is happy, I am happy.

So, I hear way fewer people use tobacco products now days right? So cancer must be at an all time low right? Seems to me its as bad or worse. Maybe it's third hand smoke(scapegoat). Could it be chemicals someone puts in our food or cigarettes? Naw. The FDA takes care of that. I'm stumped.

DJ

I wrote a long text agreeing with your post and then posted which diet go through a glitch. I reposted new words; loosing my train of thought; rambling [emoji3]

Suffice to say; I agree with 98% of what you said. Why 98? Just an arbitrary number

Back