I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy crap, it's only Monday, how will we make it to Friday?

Bobbie Gentry had it harder, She and Billy Joe McCallaster tossing something into the river ( I'll ruin the surprise, it was her/Bobby's baby, you weren't going to watch the movie anyway ). Pass the biscuits please. For your late night soundtrack, Bobbie Gentry.

This song is as ingrained in southern Americana as a song can be.

Last edited by a moderator:
img_20140310_200040_891-62463.jpg

Rice, cilantro, lemon, maybe some red pepper; is that clear stuff fish? All in a nice maybe spicy stock?

Whatever it is Ischiavo.. .looks tasty!

Are those oranges or lemons? Either way, I'm in for a least 2 bowls. That bowl doesn't look deep enough for me.

Lemons. I threw everything we had in this one which wasn't much today. We did have ginger and good fish sauce and fresh cilantro. No green onions though...bummer. That is a show bowl and not to be mistaken for a realistic serving size.

Lemons. I threw everything we had in this one which wasn't much today. We did have ginger and good fish sauce and fresh cilantro. No green onions though...bummer. That is a show bowl and not to be mistaken for a realistic serving size.

Don't get me wrong, I like the aesthetics of the bowl. I'm definitely all about the aesthetics.

I could probably eat several of the aesthetics, that's all.

It's late. Even later than this time of night than it was a few days ago. Daylight savings time is something I don't like. Now, California and Hawaii are three hours apart. That has never worked out well for me.

Enjoyed some cider and the fresh brew. How are we doing tonight?

Sent from my XT1049 using Home Brew mobile app

Anything but funk. I'm thinking you got a magic ingredient. Tell us what was really in that syringe ;)

Anything but funk. I'm thinking you got a magic ingredient. Tell us what was really in that syringe ;)

Yes it is magic. Hop Jizz hop extract. I use it for bittering my super hoppy brews that have heavy whirlpool additions. Helps keep the amount of plant material down. And now I can say I freeze my jizz with less embarrassment.

Anyone have the sudden urge to turn their kettle or carboy into an etch-a-sketch?

Hahaha...yes! Been following those threads. I can't wait to give it a go.

I'm so far removed from being able to brew for now I can only dream of the next brew day. A hop filled syringe - I've been away from brewing to long!

Cheers everybody!

I'm so far removed from being able to brew for now I can only dream of the next brew day. A hop filled syringe - I've been away from brewing to long!

Cheers everybody!

That's how I was for about 6 months. I'm finally getting back to it this last month or so. Had a rough brew day on the batch I'm drinking now. Overshot my mash temp and overshot my end volume by quite a bit (I'm thinking I screwed up the infusion somehow). Anyway, turned out to be a very nice session pale ale. BTW, how much session beer do you have to drink before it's just regular beer again?

I helped brew a 10 gallon batch for charity this past weekend. The new law that killed my belived SoCal homebrewfest (a private event with no beer sales) allows us to give to a charity event open to the public that sales it. The irony was more bitter than our brew. At least it was for a good cause.

Some of you may remember that laptop I am reviving. It is going pretty well. Updating Win7 to current is taking a long time...

Along the way, I noticed that the cooling fan was not running (probably the reason the thing took a crap in the first place). I ordered a new one, installed it and no luck. Both the old and new would run sort of intermittently if I just plugged them into the board and let them hang free. I thought maybe it was a bad connection on the header but that doesn't seem to be. I took the original fan and snipped off the blue and yellow leads (PWM and TACH?) The fan ran wide open hanging loose. As soon as I screwed it back in, or even pushed it back into place, it quit. So I put a piece of electrical tape on the back of the fan over the leads where they may have contacted the housing behind and it runs wide open now just fine. That is a bit baffling as I did not see how anything could have been shorting. Anyway, is there any problem with just letting the fan run wide open other than it being a bit loud? It sure is running nice and cool now.

Leadgolem should have some input I hope and any of you other computer gurus please chime in. Thanks.

Nah, you are good. battery life will suffer but no worries. Mine is acting up a touch so I just prop it up and give a little more clearance for airflow and no more shutoffs.

I miss the island days. I worked out on Wake Island for a couple years. Seems like an eternity ago. Hearing Dan talk about Hawaii once in a while gets me missing fresh seafood.....and deep sea fishing and scuba diving and.....so I'm having seared ahi and spiney lobster tail tonight. I really want some sashimi, but I don't trust that stuff from the store so I'm going to sear it. Don't have any good wassabi, but I found some stuff at the store I should be able to get by with. Got some extra horseradish to doctor it up if it's too weak. We'll see how it goes. Most of the folks I worked with out there were Thai nationals. Great people. Only a handful of Americans.

Anyway, some Thai music to set the mood.

Last edited by a moderator:
I miss the island days. I worked out on Wake Island for a couple years. Seems like an eternity ago. Hearing Dan talk about Hawaii once in a while gets me missing fresh seafood.....and deep sea fishing and scuba diving and.....so I'm having seared ahi and spiney lobster tail tonight. I really want some sashimi, but I don't trust that stuff from the store so I'm going to sear it. Don't have any good wassabi, but I found some stuff at the store I should be able to get by with. Got some extra horseradish to doctor it up if it's too weak. We'll see how it goes. Most of the folks I worked with out there were Thai nationals. Great people. Only a handful of Americans.

Anyway, some Thai music to set the mood.

YouTube

The food sounds spectacular but the music must be an aquired taste;)

Cheese anyone?

thumb2_img_20140312_202002_426-1-62490.jpg

Chicken stock. No fish or other meat. It's spicy. Korean pepper flakes and Cayenne. Onion, carrot and cabbage is about all.
For some reason I read this as Children stock.
I need a cut myself!
Please don't.
Some of you may remember that laptop I am reviving. It is going pretty well. Updating Win7 to current is taking a long time...

Along the way, I noticed that the cooling fan was not running (probably the reason the thing took a crap in the first place). I ordered a new one, installed it and no luck. Both the old and new would run sort of intermittently if I just plugged them into the board and let them hang free. I thought maybe it was a bad connection on the header but that doesn't seem to be. I took the original fan and snipped off the blue and yellow leads (PWM and TACH?) The fan ran wide open hanging loose. As soon as I screwed it back in, or even pushed it back into place, it quit. So I put a piece of electrical tape on the back of the fan over the leads where they may have contacted the housing behind and it runs wide open now just fine. That is a bit baffling as I did not see how anything could have been shorting. Anyway, is there any problem with just letting the fan run wide open other than it being a bit loud? It sure is running nice and cool now.

Leadgolem should have some input I hope and any of you other computer gurus please chime in. Thanks.
Not sure what the issue is with your fan. That is strange. It almost sounds like the fan it's self is shorting it's own power supply circuit.

Nah, you are good. battery life will suffer but no worries. Mine is acting up a touch so I just prop it up and give a little more clearance for airflow and no more shutoffs.
This. Noisy, decreased battery and fan service life. No damage to any other system components.

If you've got the system that taken apart you might want to pop the heatsinks that are easy to remove and replace the thermal paste. If the system was running hot, and is more then a couple of years old, it's probably half broken down by now and not working very well. I use arctic silver 5 whenever I build a system.

Just as I suspected, the wassabi was very weak. I had to add quite a bit of horseradish to it. If you don't smell burnt nose hair after taking a bite, it's not strong enough.
Start with horseradish sauce, then add powdered wasabi to taste. :)

Back