I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmmmm... I like the conversations here. Blunt and honest.

What is everyone up to?

Enjoying the cycle of life. Can't drink alcohol due to head trauma, so I've been cleaning beer bottles and staring at my primary of beer and of cider. Oh.. And sleeping all day.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

I did read about your pizza adventure and it sounded wonderful! I'm thinking though, the next time I head back home to Illinois you might have a couple cold beers we could share. Not sure when that would be, maybe 30 years from now cause I probably won't go back until a funeral. I know, that sounds bad. Truth isn't always comforting.
Are you kidding? Generally the truth leaves you bleeding.

Last edited by a moderator:
Down In Flames is now how will I remember you Leadgolem

I liked it, but metal was never my choice of music always forced upon me

Dan, I won't pour a beer down your throat during a funeral ;). I'll send ya some in the mail. You still in Cali? I'll be out there next year I hope.

What styles do you like. I do everything but stouts and porters.....and I think they are ok.

I'm pretty much a pale ale or IPA type. I'll be leaving for Hawaii, hopefully in the next month. My goal was this month but hadn't saved enough money yet. Just today I purchased passage for my bikes, and next payday will be my car and me and my dog, so around mid April for sure I'll be moved to Hawaii.

I'm pretty much a pale ale or IPA type. I'll be leaving for Hawaii, hopefully in the next month. My goal was this month but hadn't saved enough money yet. Just today I purchased passage for my bikes, and next payday will be my car and me and my dog, so around mid April for sure I'll be moved to Hawaii.

Any luck with the job hunt Dan?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I live here now because it's the last place I worked while I was in the Navy. Retired from the Navy here. I have a house that isn't as valuable as the amount I owe on it.

Wife is from Hawaii and a few years ago she was asked by the college in Hawaii she had worked at when we lived there to come back. Her pay is cheap in my opinion, but she had the opportunity to go home and she hated it here. We lived in the armpit of CA.

Ive been trying to move out of here, not trying all that hard.. until my wife and my relationship got to a point that I either stayed here and we divorced or I moved to Hawaii and saved the marriage.

I know that is not perfect. I know, what woman, wife would make a guy make that decision. I'm divorced once. I do not want to go through that again. So not sure if this move is for love or just my own vanity of not being divorced again. I'm a lost cause.. hahaha.

Just going to do what I need to do now. I never had any problems finding a good job in CA after I retired from the Navy. Plenty of good paying jobs for me here. Hawaii? I'm not so sure. Never done anything this haphazard in my life.

Please, nobody tell me, it will be okay. I know the slippery slope I'm standing on. It comes down to being alone or being with my wife. I do not want to be alone and I do know that the relationship with my wife isn't the best, but I do love her and she loves me. It's not a perfect relationship but it's what we have.

No more questions about this please, from anybody.

I live here now because it's the last place I worked while I was in the Navy. Retired from the Navy here. I have a house that isn't as valuable as the amount I owe on it.

Wife is from Hawaii and a few years ago she was asked by the college in Hawaii she had worked at when we lived there to come back. Her pay is cheap in my opinion, but she had the opportunity to go home and she hated it here. We lived in the armpit of CA.

Ive been trying to move out of here, not trying all that hard.. until my wife and my relationship got to a point that I either stayed here and we divorced or I moved to Hawaii and saved the marriage.

I know that is not perfect. I know, what woman, wife would shouldn't make a guy make that decision. I'm divorced once. I do not want to go through that again. So not sure if this move is for love or just my own vanity of not being divorced again. I'm a lost cause.. hahaha.

Just going to do what I need to do now. I never had any problems finding a good job in CA after I retired from the Navy. Plenty of good paying jobs for me here. Hawaii? I'm not so sure. Never done anything this haphazard in my life.

Please, nobody tell me, it will be okay. I know the slippery slope I'm standing on. It comes down to being alone or being with my wife. I do not want to be alone and I do know that the relationship with my wife isn't the best, but I do love her and she loves me. It's not a perfect relationship but it's what we have.

No more questions about this please, from anybody.

That's what a good man does. Everyone who says it is perfect is either lying or a fool. Prosit Dan!

And I sure do like the Johnny Cash video you put up.. Johnny Cash was a hell of a human being and his music spoke to our hearts. Here's another.. I hope you like it.

One last song. I realise this is Wednesday but have to tell you what..Sunday's are when I'm most vulnerable. Truly.

Johnny Cash, and Kris Kristofferson. Sunday Morning Coming Down. JC is pretty much known for this song but it was Kris K who actually wrote it. I believe somewhere along the line the two men had a heated disagreement but in the end they got over it as real friends do.

The original

Big Johnny Cash

There it's is. Woke up Sunday mornin with no way to hold my head that didn't hurt!

I went in and told my sleeping son how much I loved him. It's hard, I'm not soft on the kid but I want him to know how much I love him. My kids are everything to me. I really want them to be happy but also I want them to understand reality. Thin line there. I had the best father......"I grew up quick and I grew up mean". But that is what it has taken to get through what I have been through and get to where I am. I am no king, but I am king of my mind. That's important

It's called tough love Reinstone. And I know what you mean. Not abusive, just firm. Kids can't have everything they want even if you want to give them everything. My kids had it pretty tough growing up in some ways. I think they turned out pretty good. They aren't engineers or doctors, but they are good people and emotionally strong. I figure that's a pretty good foundation.

I'm not saying kids that get a great education are jerks or kids that don't are not. I really think it's just their raising that makes them good people or not. As a parent you always want your children to do better than you did.

I've really got to sign off.

Good night HBT! :mug:

I don't post here often, but I've read since the beginning.

Dan, you've been unsure about this change since day one. The way I see it, there are three outcomes.

First, you move and live happily ever after.

Second, you move and things go to sh.

Third, you move and it's either great or awful.

Any way it goes, you'll never know until it happens. In time, you will know what direction you have traveled. And if, after some time has passed, you see that the path is not what is best, you can again change direction. That is the blessing of our time and place. We have the freedom to change at any time; our only limitations are those we give ourselves. We can keep going until we feel it's right. :)

And "Hello" to the lurkers who have chimed in recently. I really miss the multi quote for the phone app. :(

I don't post here often, but I've read since the beginning.

Dan, you've been unsure about this change since day one. The way I see it, there are three outcomes.

First, you move and live happily ever after.

Second, you move and things go to sh.

Third, you move and it's either great or awful.

Any way it goes, you'll never know until it happens. In time, you will know what direction you have traveled. And if, after some time has passed, you see that the path is not what is best, you can again change direction. That is the blessing of our time and place. We have the freedom to change at any time; our only limitations are those we give ourselves. We can keep going until we feel it's right. :)

And "Hello" to the lurkers who have chimed in recently. I really miss the multi quote for the phone app. :(

Wise words SharonaZ. You are correct, I've been wishy washy the whole time about this move. The closer my date of departure nears and I'm getting the last of my things moved over there (dog & car) I feel pretty good about this adventure. Just need to remind myself not to look back and press forward.

Sorry for the book but if you’re an AT&T wireless customer with multiple phones on the plan this might save you some money. So hopefully this helps somebody.

I just cut my cell phone bill by almost 50%! My plan has 5 smart- phones on it and each phone has to have data. You can’t opt out of that. The lowest option per phone was 300MB and next option up was 3GB per phone. I took the 3GB because there is only a $10 difference between that and 300MB. Plus 300MB (if you go over they charge $10/100MB) and 300MB is a tenth of 3GB (if you go over it’s $10/1GB)

My wife rarely uses her phone for data so I could have gotten away with 300MB but the plan was not available for that phone. I have no idea why but I had to go with the $10 more expensive one = Rip-off! The rest of the phones are used more than 300MB but not all of them use the 3GB limit. So 5 phones, 3GB each is 15 on the plan, we used 8-9 altogether per month so a waste of 6-7gig and a lot of money each month.

Now on to why I’m smiling. I’ve had AT&T for over ten years but just recently realized they have a shared data plan. I’m probably the last to know this. We now share 10GB, went from 700 free minutes talk time to unlimited calls to any phone. We already had unlimited text messages but overseas texts had associated fees – now they’re free too.

So I cut my phone bill in half. I shudder to think of the money I wasted paying the outrageous rates.

Are you kidding? Generally the truth leaves you bleeding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujga-3p21xY

That is the first CD I ever owned. I didn't even have a CD player.

Wise words SharonaZ. You are correct, I've been wishy washy the whole time about this move. The closer my date of departure nears and I'm getting the last of my things moved over there (dog & car) I feel pretty good about this adventure. Just need to remind myself not to look back and press forward.

I am a bit jealous of your adventure. Just put your head down, keep your legs pumping and hang on to the ball. That's what coach used to tell me;)

Sorry for the book but if you’re an AT&T wireless customer with multiple phones on the plan this might save you some money. So hopefully this helps somebody.

I just cut my cell phone bill by almost 50%! My plan has 5 smart- phones on it and each phone has to have data. You can’t opt out of that. The lowest option per phone was 300MB and next option up was 3GB per phone. I took the 3GB because there is only a $10 difference between that and 300MB. Plus 300MB (if you go over they charge $10/100MB) and 300MB is a tenth of 3GB (if you go over it’s $10/1GB)

My wife rarely uses her phone for data so I could have gotten away with 300MB but the plan was not available for that phone. I have no idea why but I had to go with the $10 more expensive one = Rip-off! The rest of the phones are used more than 300MB but not all of them use the 3GB limit. So 5 phones, 3GB each is 15 on the plan, we used 8-9 altogether per month so a waste of 6-7gig and a lot of money each month.

Now on to why I’m smiling. I’ve had AT&T for over ten years but just recently realized they have a shared data plan. I’m probably the last to know this. We now share 10GB, went from 700 free minutes talk time to unlimited calls to any phone. We already had unlimited text messages but overseas texts had associated fees – now they’re free too.

So I cut my phone bill in half. I shudder to think of the money I wasted paying the outrageous rates.

They don't seem to want to tell you that you could be saving a ton of money. You have to ask. Luckily, I have enough phones on my account that I am always in there upgrading one and asking for a better deal.

Awesome, I just ordered a new phone so I can ditch my contract phone. Being a single guy out of college, I can't seem to find a way to benefit from a multiple line plan....

After some quick number crunching, I'll save nearly 700 bucks in the next 24 months by getting out of my contract.

Your coach was a smart guy Ischiavo.

I'm really kicking myself in the rear end over these phones. I don't know how long they have had the shared data plan but I bet it's been awhile.

I recently switched phones, and assumed I'd be keeping the same package I had before, with a gb of data. So I thought cool, Ill just use my phone like normal. Until I got my bill and paid 15$ for 50mb of extra data. Apparently, my "new plan" that I didnt choose, didnt include any data..

Yeah, 'smart' phones are only smart at screwing you out of data. You really have to be conscious about how much you are using it (especially with email). Also, if you are one to need the latest and greatest phones, or break yours often, it is actually oftentimes cheaper to keep a month to month plan and buy your phone(s) at full price and then sell them off when the next big one comes out. Phone insurance is a scam, stay away from it (do you realize how much you spend in a year on that stuff?) and so are many of the other nickle and dime charges they lay on you. Be informed is all I can say.

For the more technically minded of you though, I found the best app for a droid phone. Its called tasker and lets you program in conditional tasks to do things for you. I use mine to turn on wifi when at home, turn on GPS only when I am using an app that I want to know where I am, automatically speak out my text messages when I am riding my motorcycle and do other battery saving functions. Costs a little to buy and some features require rooting (jailbreaking) your phone, but well worth it in my opinion.

Speaking of frugality, I just fixed a really nice laptop for $59 (cost for the new hard drive). I knew it was the hard drive. My wife had it looked at and they said they couldn't do anything (they were right). I also picked up a 12 pack of Old Milwaukee. That saved me several dollars.

Yeah, 'smart' phones are only smart at screwing you out of data. You really have to be conscious about how much you are using it (especially with email). Also, if you are one to need the latest and greatest phones, or break yours often, it is actually oftentimes cheaper to keep a month to month plan and buy your phone(s) at full price and then sell them off when the next big one comes out. Phone insurance is a scam, stay away from it (do you realize how much you spend in a year on that stuff?) and so are many of the other nickle and dime charges they lay on you. Be informed is all I can say.

For the more technically minded of you though, I found the best app for a droid phone. Its called tasker and lets you program in conditional tasks to do things for you. I use mine to turn on wifi when at home, turn on GPS only when I am using an app that I want to know where I am, automatically speak out my text messages when I am riding my motorcycle and do other battery saving functions. Costs a little to buy and some features require rooting (jailbreaking) your phone, but well worth it in my opinion.

It was half price this morning... Still not sold on the battery power saved by running the app 24/7

Yeah, I ditched my smart phone a few years ago. I just didn't see that the benefits were worth the money.

We already had unlimited text messages but overseas texts had associated fees – now they’re free too.

How did you manage to get free overseas texts and fees?!? That could be a pocket saver for me!

I changed my data plan (AT&T) to a shared plan and part of the package was unlimited free overseas texts. My kids sometimes text their (ex)aunt in Australia and there was a fee. I even asked the guy at ATT twice to be sure, I hope he's correct. I'll check the fine details again and post back if I was wrong.

[QUOT E=Dan;5965962]I changed my data plan (AT&T) to a shared plan and part of the package was unlimited free overseas texts. My kids sometimes text their (ex)aunt in Australia and there was a fee. I even asked the guy at ATT twice to be sure, I hope he's correct. I'll check the fine details again and post back if I was wrong.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Dan! I'll have to look into that.

My cell phone runs $6 a month. I use the internet at home. If I need info on the road I ask a smart phone person to check for me. They have those plans that almost beg to use the up the gb they pay for and they are happy to look up.

[QUOT E=Dan;5965962]I changed my data plan (AT&T) to a shared plan and part of the package was unlimited free overseas texts. My kids sometimes text their (ex)aunt in Australia and there was a fee. I even asked the guy at ATT twice to be sure, I hope he's correct. I'll check the fine details again and post back if I was wrong.

Thanks Dan! I'll have to look into that.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew[/QUOTE]

You're welcome. I just now double checked with AT&T and they said yes free unlimited international texting with the plan I'm on, the share plan. Good luck!

My cell phone runs $6 a month. I use the internet at home. If I need info on the road I ask a smart phone person to check for me. They have those plans that almost beg to use the up the gb they pay for and they are happy to look up.

Ha ha, good plan. I currently don't have internet at home and one of my daughters doesn't have it either. Once we both have it again I'll probably cut way back on the data and cost. But $6? What are you using a couple of tin cans and string? :D

Back