I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
snaps10 said:
Dang. Sounds like a hell of a night.

You're going to be sore in the morning.

Yep, I think you are correct about that, Snaps. If the weather over the ranges in Nevada wouldn't have been socked in I wouldn't have gotten off work early and probably never would have come across those dogs. Things happen for a reason, maybe this was meant to be a wake up call. I've been a little aggressive riding as of late. Time to Re-evaluate

Yep, I think you are correct about that, Snaps. If the weather over the ranges in Nevada wouldn't have been socked in I wouldn't have gotten off work early and probably never would have come across those dogs. Things happen for a reason, maybe this was meant to be a wake up call. I've been a little aggressive riding as of late. Time to Re-evaluate
It's also possible that it didn't really have anything to do with you, and was supposed to scare the ish out of the dogs owner. It's also possible that you clipped a dog because the owner was stupid and let his dogs play on the highway. After all, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. :)

If you just had soft tissue damage, I think it's unlikely that you killed the pup.

Close calls, Dan! You just never know what can get in your way out there. Glad you're okay.

To true,SharonaZ. Thank you for the well wishes.

It's also possible that it didn't really have anything to do with you, and was supposed to scare the ish out of the dogs owner. It's also possible that you clipped a dog because the owner was stupid and let his dogs play on the highway. After all, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. :)

If you just had soft tissue damage, I think it's unlikely that you killed the pup.

I hope you're right about that LG. It was a very large dog, hopefully he's a tough one.

Yikes Dan, glad you are okay(ish). That'll be hurting today.

Thank you LRB. I didn't sleep last night, just two pumped up and the pain killers weren't doing much. This morning the anti-inflammatory and pain killers are working. Leg feels pretty good. Now just need to sleep.

Goodnight everybody.

Somebody said something about giving your avatar a bandanna a while ago. Since I'm home sick today, I did. :) The little one is for use as an avatar, the big one is a base image at a higher resolution that can be used for more things.

danavatarbandanna.jpg

danavatarbandannafull.jpg

Probably the dog is fine Dan, but if not, maybe you saved a future motorist from wrecking because of the dogs. Some drivers do irrational things to avoid animals in the road. Not intentionally, but automatically swerve to miss them and endanger human lives. I once ran right over a big dog on my ATV, only going about 30, but didn't hurt the dog at all. Actually 30 is about my top speed and I was flying down a dirt road when the dog ran out in front of me. Big bump and that was it, I kept going. Big, injured dogs can bite or attack. You did fine not stopping, If those dogs have nearly caused wrecks in the past, the people who regularly drive through there will thank you. Glad you are okay and nothing is broken.

So, photoshoping Dan's avatar and making some weird syrup my Mom wanted. That's pretty much it for the day. I hate being sick. I can't really get anything done.

Here's the syrup:
2 cups white sugar
2 tbs molasses
1 cup water
1 tbs Mexican vanilla

Add sugar molasses and water to a pan, stir. Heat on medium until all the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla. Allow to cool, pour into syrup container of choice.

You could just use brown sugar instead of white sugar and molasses. You do have more control over the flavor and proportions this way though. For some reason my Mother never wants to make syrups. I don't understand it. They aren't hard. That took me all of 5 minutes to make.

So, photoshoping Dan's avatar and making some weird syrup my Mom wanted. That's pretty much it for the day. I hate being sick. I can't really get anything done.

Here's the syrup:
2 cups white sugar
2 tbs molasses
1 cup water
1 tbs Mexican vanilla

Add sugar molasses and water to a pan, stir. Heat on medium until all the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla. Allow to cool, pour into syrup container of choice.

You could just use brown sugar instead of white sugar and molasses. You do have more control over the flavor and proportions this way though. For some reason my Mother never wants to make syrups. I don't understand it. They aren't hard. That took me all of 5 minutes to make.

That sounds like a good syrup to me.

She's going to use it on some glazed carrots tomorrow. I'll let you know. :) It tastes pretty good, just kinda odd.

That sounds really good. It reminds me of mashed carrot casserole that my mom makes. She doesn't use a syrup, but rather just brown sugar. I bet your syrup would work great in it!

I have two very nice apa or ipas on tap. Why can't I shake the overwhelming feeling of something's wrong. It'll go away but it makes me wonder if its how depressed people feel. I'm tired, sad, angry all negative all for no good reason.

Here's the syrup:
2 cups white sugar
2 tbs molasses
1 cup water
1 tbs Mexican vanilla

Why'd you specify 'Mexican Vanilla'? Just wondering because that's what I buy and the only difference I've noticed between that and other vanilla extract is the price. It's $10 for a 750 or maybe liter bottle instead of the same for about 6 oz.

Why'd you specify 'Mexican Vanilla'? Just wondering because that's what I buy and the only difference I've noticed between that and other vanilla extract is the price. It's $10 for a 750 or maybe liter bottle instead of the same for about 6 oz.

Not to jump your topic LG/TN. I do a lot of baking and cooking (actually all of it) I find that the flavor is cleaner and stronger. I have tried a few different ones so far the best I have found is the "TOTONAC'S". There are several different type of vanilla orchid + like coffee where there grown/type of soils play in the flavor profiles. I have 3 type of vanilla: Madagascar, Mexican, and a Brazilian. I also keep a store brand clear vanilla for white cakes and frostings (old habit from when I ran a cake for all occasions business) I will only use it if I have to have a pure white vs. the ivory/bone white from the darker vanilla's :D Sorry probably more information then you wanted or needed should see when we talk about beer:p

it makes me wonder if its how depressed people feel. I'm tired, sad, angry all negative all for no good reason.

I hope you get feeling better soon. It doesn't have to be one "good reason" to make you feel that way. Heck, just watching the news is enough to make anyone depressed. It won't hurt to see a doctor if it continues or gets worse. Maybe you feel like your life in is limbo right now? Or past goals you've had seem pointless? As you age and become wiser, things change, you start to re-think life in general. If this is the first time you've felt this way, could be just a phase in your life that you are going through. Things that made you happy in the past may not be the same things that make you happy now.

I am leaving on vacation in 4 days and will be gone 19 days, except a few days back home between trips. Hold the fort down, folks. I'll have Internet access here and there, but probably when I have time for that, it'll just be work related stuff.

Have you ever tried to train a chicken? I have found that the water hose set to power wash works best. They don't like being power washed. I just want them to stay off the porch. Jumping up on the table, ****ting everywhere, squawking. Now I just have to say "go" or "get" and pick up the water hose. And boom, they all run off the screened in porch. Squawking and protesting as they run away.

LabRatBrewer said:
I have two very nice apa or ipas on tap. Why can't I shake the overwhelming feeling of something's wrong. It'll go away but it makes me wonder if its how depressed people feel. I'm tired, sad, angry all negative all for no good reason.

Hope you've cheered up. I occasionally feel that way myself, with a bit of "I'm a jerk" added, for no apparent reason.
Someone I know likes to say "It's all chemical." I think that's true sometimes. Whether low blood sugar, or as ladies are more familiar with, changes in hormone levels, or lack of sleep.

Not to jump your topic LG/TN. I do a lot of baking and cooking (actually all of it) I find that the flavor is cleaner and stronger. I have tried a few different ones so far the best I have found is the "TOTONAC'S". There are several different type of vanilla orchid + like coffee where there grown/type of soils play in the flavor profiles. I have 3 type of vanilla: Madagascar, Mexican, and a Brazilian. I also keep a store brand clear vanilla for white cakes and frostings (old habit from when I ran a cake for all occasions business) I will only use it if I have to have a pure white vs. the ivory/bone white from the darker vanilla's :D Sorry probably more information then you wanted or needed should see when we talk about beer:p
Pretty much this. I find that different vanillas taste differently to me.

I am leaving on vacation in 4 days and will be gone 19 days, except a few days back home between trips. Hold the fort down, folks. I'll have Internet access here and there, but probably when I have time for that, it'll just be work related stuff.

Have you ever tried to train a chicken? I have found that the water hose set to power wash works best. They don't like being power washed. I just want them to stay off the porch. Jumping up on the table, ****ting everywhere, squawking. Now I just have to say "go" or "get" and pick up the water hose. And boom, they all run off the screened in porch. Squawking and protesting as they run away.
Well, at least you should have some clean chickens. :D

EDIT: Well, I'm still sick. Feeling like crap. I didn't get any extra sleep staying home yesterday, and I was bored. So I went back to work today. Now I'm tuckered out after a not particularly stressful day.

A personal rule, I don't drink when I'm sick. I figure my body is dealing with enough already and doesn't need to have to process the alcohol too.

Hope you've cheered up. I occasionally feel that way myself, with a bit of "I'm a jerk" added, for no apparent reason.
Someone I know likes to say "It's all chemical." I think that's true sometimes. Whether low blood sugar, or as ladies are more familiar with, changes in hormone levels, or lack of sleep.

Yes, its probably my period. It sync's with my partner :) j/k it does seem chemical. Certainly not logical. Just a big cloud. No worries.

I found the little paper tag with all the info on it for my garage door springs. It turns out they are an unmatched pair. The left one is 27 1/4 inches long. The right one is 30 1/4 long. The left one has a wire diameter of 0.234, the right one is 0.243. That means that the left garage door spring is good for about 1,000 cycles less then the right spring. 15,000 and 16,000 cycles estimated based on the spring info. These springs were installed 09/26/1985... Ok, they sure did their job.

I'm replacing them with a matched pair of springs that are 35 1/4 inch long, and are rated for approximately 28,000 duty cycles. 122 bucks all up. Not bad at all. I could spend 200 + 20ish shipping and get the ones rated for 141,000 duty cycles. Only, those would probably last longer then the house will be standing...

How every one doing ? Wish me luck this week the retirement I made a lot..... Of h/b for is this week. 35 gal mostly in bottles + a whole lot of salty SEAL chiefs outcome? Hopefully priceless. ;)

Now if this 24 hr duty can be over with. Bitter sweet watch tonight. Last one at my current command. Come this fall it's back to good old navy fleet for me. :..(

Leadgolem said:
I found the little paper tag with all the info on it for my garage door springs. It turns out they are an unmatched pair. The left one is 27 1/4 inches long. The right one is 30 1/4 long. The left one has a wire diameter of 0.234, the right one is 0.243. That means that the left garage door spring is good for about 1,000 cycles less then the right spring. 15,000 and 16,000 cycles estimated based on the spring info. These springs were installed 09/26/1985... Ok, they sure did their job.

I'm replacing them with a matched pair of springs that are 35 1/4 inch long, and are rated for approximately 28,000 duty cycles. 122 bucks all up. Not bad at all. I could spend 200 + 20ish shipping and get the ones rated for 141,000 duty cycles. Only, those would probably last longer then the house will be standing...

You know a old carpenter told me one they did that because the floor the door lands on is not even. Or if it is a door with a level bottom but on a hill or the track is on even. They would do that.

LRB, sorry to hear you're in the glums brother. I thought of a few words to say but think BobbiLynn said best.

Hang in there my friend. We all go through bad days. You're a good dude LabRat. Many people around here thoroughly enjoy your posts and humor. Put me at the top of that list.

It's all good LRB! :mug:

Dan said:
So, counting many blessing tonight. If that dog would have been just a little closer I would have hit him with my front tire and pretty sure I would have gone down. That wouldn't have been good. The lady at the gas station gave my leg a quick looksie. Told me what I needed to do and finally said she was a nurse for 14 years. I just will consider myself very fortunate tonight and will probably never ride that country road at night again..

Dam Dan sorry to hear that. Glad your ok. You know I had a navy buddy that would ride back roads here in VA . He Hit a deer and lost a c. Rocket bike to that deer plus he broke his lower arm. And about a year later he damaged his shadow ( he got after the insurance paid for the c rocket.) to a yorkee of all dogs.

The dealer installed a cheap deer horn after that one. He said it helps.

miker1529 said:
Dam Dan sorry to hear that. Glad your ok. You know I had a navy buddy that would ride back roads here in VA . He Hit a deer and lost a c. Rocket bike to that deer plus he broke his lower arm. And about a year later he damaged his shadow ( he got after the insurance paid for the c rocket.) to a yorkee of all dogs.

The dealer installed a cheap deer horn after that one. He said it helps.

Mike

Thanks brother. It's all good now. Where you headed next? Sounds like haze grey and underway?

Miker, I was thinking I'd get oome of those deer avoidance things if I lived near deer area. I suppose they're probably good for dogs too.

Pretty sure my headlamp froze them in there tracks. Both dogs. Just stood there mesmerized by the bright. Poor dog. He didn't know any better than to stay off the highway

BobbiLynn said:

BobbiLynn,

Best wishes to you and have fun in your vacation! This place will not be the same with you away. Please check in when you have the chance

Love you, Sis! Have a blast. You deserve that!

BobbiLynn,

Best wishes to you and have fun in your vacation! This place will not be the same with you away. Please check in when you have the chance

Love you, Sis! Have a blast. You deserve that!

Thanks! I'm a little nervous about traveling but my son will be with me for the first 8 days, and he is like my rock and my protector. He's been bigger than me in stature since he was 8 or 9 years old, he's 22 now. If I get too nervous and my mind too frazzled, I can just hang on to his arm and let him guide the way. A good word to describe him is stoic. Nothing ever seems to phase him. He joined the navy at 17 and spent 4 years, maybe that is what has made him so confident and able.

Thanks! I'm a little nervous about traveling but my son will be with me for the first 8 days, and he is like my rock and my protector. He's been bigger than me in stature since he was 8 or 9 years old, he's 22 now. If I get too nervous and my mind too frazzled, I can just hang on to his arm and let him guide the way. A good word to describe him is stoic. Nothing ever seems to phase him. He joined the navy at 17 and spent 4 years, maybe that is what has made him so confident and able.

The military can bring on confidence but I'm betting he had that before from you and the Navy just brought it out a bit more.

Gonna miss you the next few weeks. :mug:

Glad for your luck Dan could have ended a lot worse. LRB when I find myself getting into a blue funk I go through my beer recipes look at vacation/wedding photos and count all my blessings, fastest way to from down is to get up:D Bobbi enjoy time away it will help charge the old brain and help you keep on track when you return.:cool:

The derp neighbor's kids (actually 20-somethings but mental-12 year olds) decided to have a bonfire and party at Mom & Dad's house while they were out of town last night. As our houses are only 20 feet apart it is a little disconcerting to see flames licking up over the fence. I had to call public safety to bring the firetruck around to shut down the fire. Then I had to sit up until 2AM to ensure they kept their crap on their side of the fence while listening to them whine while they got trashed on Bud Lite and their drug de jour. Thankfully none of them ran over my mailbox as they departed.

Spent half the night with a knot in my stomach - a mix of anger and frustration over the situation. When I moved into this house 3 years ago I walked over to introduce myself, and the wife bluntly said that they liked to be left alone and told me to get out of the yard. Haven't shared a word with them since - not one word. Turns out she has been in and out of jail for shoplifting, and she and the hubby both have drug problems, and as you might guess the kid is no better. He thankfully doesn't live there anymore but he "borrows" the house while they are away. Nobody in that house gives a damn about the neighbors, and the only thing that gets their attention is the police.

Got a crappy night's sleep - went for a long walk and took myself out to lunch today, and the knot is unclenching. The house and the other neighbors are great, except for these derps next door. They are fine 95% of the time, but the other 5% of the time they are complete ********, and you never know when you are going to see that 5%.

Grrr....

Hey all. Hope your Sunday went well. I smoked a couple of pork butts and a couple of beef briskets all day. Getting ready to have dinner. Also made a large batch of a pale ale.

Time to get the week going. Feels like shoveling **** against the tide, working, paying bills, raising kids, etc. But I keep going like a hamster in a wheel.

Here's a little blast from the past. Let's all get into some balloon gondolas and float away. Does this put me in old guy category?

Last edited by a moderator:
The derp neighbor's kids (actually 20-somethings but mental-12 year olds) decided to have a bonfire and party at Mom & Dad's house while they were out of town last night. As our houses are only 20 feet apart it is a little disconcerting to see flames licking up over the fence. I had to call public safety to bring the firetruck around to shut down the fire. Then I had to sit up until 2AM to ensure they kept their crap on their side of the fence while listening to them whine while they got trashed on Bud Lite and their drug de jour. Thankfully none of them ran over my mailbox as they departed.

Spent half the night with a knot in my stomach - a mix of anger and frustration over the situation. When I moved into this house 3 years ago I walked over to introduce myself, and the wife bluntly said that they liked to be left alone and told me to get out of the yard. Haven't shared a word with them since - not one word. Turns out she has been in and out of jail for shoplifting, and she and the hubby both have drug problems, and as you might guess the kid is no better. He thankfully doesn't live there anymore but he "borrows" the house while they are away. Nobody in that house gives a damn about the neighbors, and the only thing that gets their attention is the police.

Got a crappy night's sleep - went for a long walk and took myself out to lunch today, and the knot is unclenching. The house and the other neighbors are great, except for these derps next door. They are fine 95% of the time, but the other 5% of the time they are complete ********, and you never know when you are going to see that 5%.

Grrr....
I have never before heard this term. It's rather less vulgar then what I would have been calling the neighbors at that point. I think I shall start using it.

So, I'm taking my Mother shopping today. We are between the pharmacy and the cake decorating stuff. She asks, rather loudly, "You want an insertion tube, don't you?". The look on my face must have been priceless. She was talking about one of those plastic cake decorating syringes. The kind you use to fill cup cakes, or do fancy decorating with icing.

I have never before heard this term. It's rather less vulgar then what I would have been calling the neighbors at that point. I think I shall start using it.

It's the term that I use to describe them in polite company. What I call them in person would make George Carlin blush if he were still around.

I'm better now. They are cleaned up and gone, hopefully for a while. They all are giving me a complex about nice summer weekends because it seems like their stupidity is solar powered and they like to take their assholery outdoors when the weather is nice. I actually get kinda tense when the weatherman cheerfully describes the great weather we're going to have on Friday and Saturday because it might mean I'll have some neighbor crap to deal with. Not always, but that is exactly when it would happen so I get apprehensive. I kinda like it now when we get summer thunderstorms and rain on weekends as it tends to keep them indoors and guarantees a peaceful weekend.

So, I'm taking my Mother shopping today. We are between the pharmacy and the cake decorating stuff. She asks, rather loudly, "You want an insertion tube, don't you?". The look on my face must have been priceless. She was talking about one of those plastic cake decorating syringes. The kind you use to fill cup cakes, or do fancy decorating with icing.

Newly modified avatar complements of LG. Thanks my friend.

Priceless! I remember one time when I was a kid my friend had diarrhea. We were pretty much brothers back then, 10 or 11 years old. His mom had this bag with an "insertion tube" so he didn't have to use the bathroom. Gross. Mom's know best I suppose.

Very nice weekend here. My house is in shambles, sold all the furniture. The lving room has old lawnchairs and pillows. Even an old twin mattress on the floor for a couch. Looks like Redneckville around here but actually very comfortable.

My son lives in San Diego, around 6 hours away. He called early Saturday morning and said him and his wife were thinking about coming up for the weekend. I told him the house is a mess, do you really want to come? "Yes Sir" (no kidding, that was his reply)

They drove up and brought a surfboard with them. A longboard I think it's called. 88"x 23". We made some fiberglass repairs to it, removed all the wax, washed it down and roughed up the old paint with some 220 grit sandpaper. Then his wife repainted he thing. I'd post a pic but it wouldn't give a true look at how beautiful this thing came out. She used white as a base, and then yellow and orange for highlights. She also painted an island scene with a mermaid, bottle of rum (with a ship inside it) and a palmtree.

The weekend turned out really nice, so did the surfboard. It's in my garage right now with a fresh coat of epoxy on he bottom. Couple days from now I'll apply a coat to the other side and let it cure. When I get back from my trip next week I'm gong to try to smooth out any rough spots with more 220 grit and 0000 Steel wool. Somewhere around mid to late August I'll take a drive to San Diego and return it to my son and his wife.

Long ramble. Great weekend. I'd say perfect weekend in many ways.

:mug::mug::mug:

Latest posts

Back