I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah crap. Seems to be my bad luck lately. By the time I get a chance to get online I miss out on all the great conversations and everybody has headed to bed. I get to ramble by myself. That's the jinx of weird hours.

BTW if I drop some "i"s it is because my i button is sticking. I have to remember to ht it very hard or the i doesn't come out. Maybe not to noticeable because I am bashing the crap out of the i key. Will take ths keyboard cover off and clean thngs up. Having the same problem a few other places on this keyboard. Something must have gotten splled.

Dan said:
3/4 mile down a tube? That sounds amazing! What happens if he gets stuck or has a medical condtion? That's where you come in?

Yup. That's when I come in. Haven't decided quite how I'll rig it yet. I've got a few pics, but won't know for sure until I can see the pipe line. I don't think they'll want to spend the money for a single rope, so we'll use access points along the pipe and I'll re-rig the line accordingly. My 600' rescue line is over 70lbs. It's a bear itself to move often, I don't want to mess with anything longer. The heavier the rope the harder it makes everything.
We'll see tomorrow wether we'll be rappelling or lowering him down.

Forgive my ignorance. What s the difference between rappelling and lowering down?

Take this with a huge grain of salt, as I don't know what I'm taking about. But lowering is as the name implies someone holding the rope and slowly letting you down, it essence you can go as far down as the rope is long. Rappelling you have the rope through an anchor and lower yourself down, so you can go down half the length of the rope.

Self-rappel pros: rescuer has control over their descent and lock-off. May be fastest way down.

Self-rappel cons: rescuer has to pay attention to what they are doing at all times and may be overwhelmed as they reach victim. Rescuer has hands occupied until locked off.

Lowering pros: rescuer can concentrate on victim and has hands free.

Lowering cons: hard to adjust and control since lowering crew usually cannot see the rescuer and has to have commands relayed.

I could be completely wrong.

New junk to sell. I should be going back for evening auction, but can't seem to motivate myself to go stand around two more hours to possibly buy some old pool balls that aren't in very good shape.

image-579785521.jpg

image-3590802511.jpg

Attachments

• image-3464248297.jpg
    image-3464248297.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 66
Wow, fancy typewriter!

I do visit other areas of this site and read, read, read. I just don't comment much in other sections because I don't want to get in trouble. Getting out into the general public seems to get me in trouble. :rockin:

BobbiLynn said:
Wow, fancy typewriter!

I do visit other areas of this site and read, read, read. I just don't comment much in other sections because I don't want to get in trouble. Getting out into the general public seems to get me in trouble. :rockin:

It's a great color. Should move fast. I hope someone buys the other thing before I decide to plug it in. I can only resist hooking myself to an electric weight loss device from the 50s for so long.

TNGabe said:
New junk to sell. I should be going back for evening auction, but can't seem to motivate myself to go stand around two more hours to possibly buy some old pool balls that aren't in very good shape.

That is quite the vintage typewriter. If it works that should bring some good money!

That is quite the vintage typewriter. If it works that should bring some good money!

I'll probably get about $50 bucks out of it, but I only paid $1 and that was with a stack of flower pots and a barnwood picture frame. ;)

Forgive my ignorance. What s the difference between rappelling and lowering down?

I'm guessing one the rope is stationary, the other the rope is moving.

I did a lot of rappeling in my younger years. I hate heights, but I didn't have a problem with the rappelling. Seems like we went down every vertical face we could find. I do remember one guy flipping upside down while we were dropping from helicopters and he couldn't right himself (large backpack, rifle, etc) and the chopper had to lower him to the ground. Argh.

The guys who would leap face first were berserk. They called it australian style. Not my cup of tea.

I did a lot of rappeling in my younger years. I hate heights, but I didn't have a problem with the rappelling. Seems like we went down every vertical face we could find. I do remember one guy flipping upside down while we were dropping from helicopters and he couldn't right himself (large backpack, rifle, etc) and the chopper had to lower him to the ground. Argh.

The guys who would leap face first were berserk. They called it australian style. Not my cup of tea.

Easier when you aren't looking down watching the ground rushing towards you;)

Rappelling you lower yourself, lower you are tied off to the end of the rope and someone else controls your descent. You are both correct. This is a monster of a project. Still not completely sure how we're going to pull it off. This is the smaller pipe (penstock).
It is actually 1630' that needs to be inspected.

image-58199006.jpg

The longer one is 3600'+ no pictures of it. It is not so steep, which actually makes getting the 450lb!!!! Rope down, then back up.

Rappelling you lower yourself, lower you are tied off to the end of the rope and someone else controls your descent. You are both correct. This is a monster of a project. Still not completely sure how we're going to pull it off. This is the smaller pipe (penstock).
It is actually 1630' that needs to be inspected.

View attachment 137072

The longer one is 3600'+ no pictures of it. It is not so steep, which actually makes getting the 450lb!!!! Rope down, then back up.

Pretty cool, Snaps! I have a lot of respect for the guy(s) that go down that tube. It is something I could never do. Well, never say never but not in my comfort zone. Something about large, industrial, and water gives me the chills. I'd never be able be a diver for a living. The thought of a large ship passing overhead just freaks me out.

As a person get's older things like that don't sound as appealing. I never did anything like that but do look back at some of the crazy stuff I did on a motorcycle and thank my lucky stars I didn't kill myself. Young and invincible, now older and wiser.

PS, Pappy. I'm honored to make it in your sig for awhile. :mug:

Once again here late at night
I'm awake and don't feel quite right
I seem to be the only one on this thread
Please don't think it gives me a big head

It's really hard to explain my work hour
They aren't really bad but make me quite sour

Someday you might just say Dan, STFU.
Your poetry sucks so please just shut up
You probably won't because you are all very nice
If I could relieve life, I'd probably do it thrice.

Goodnight HBT.
:mug:

No idea why I'm sharing this. No response expected.

Ever wonder what life would be like with out your wife, or for the gals your husband?

I'm still married but she is far away. There s a chunk taken out of my heart each day not living with her. That's why I'm about to throw away everything I worked for. To be with her.

Her and me have our relationship problems. I am ready to give in just to be with her. Might be, and really is a financial disaster. I just can't continue to live alone.

If I don't make the move and be with her, figure I'll die pretty young. I don't want to put that loss, burden on my kids.

I found a counselor to talk to. I need it. (I'm sure to those of you who know me, that is not surprising) She is the same one my wife goes to n Hawaii. I met her once. I want my marriage and life to be good. Might need to bring the outside help.

I have a few more months to get through until I'm in Hawaii with my wife. Need to do a few good constructive changes before that.

WTF am I doing telling you all this? Anonymity confession.

Nothing wrong with that at all. I think this world would be a much better place if more people would seek out counsel. My wife and I went to counseling before and for the first year of our marriage, because we figured it'd be smart. One of the best things I've ever done.

I found a counselor to talk to. I need it. (I'm sure to those of you who know me, that is not surprising) She is the same one my wife goes to n Hawaii. I met her once. I want my marriage and life to be good. Might need to bring the outside help.

I have a few more months to get through until I'm in Hawaii with my wife. Need to do a few good constructive changes before that.

WTF am I doing telling you all this? Anonymity confession.

Dan - good on you for thinking to do this. I hit a rough patch where I had a lot of major life events happen within a few months (death of my father to cancer, major career change, bought a house, mother ill with another cancer) and got laid low. Getting it sorted out is a good thing. The brain really is like any other part of you - if it doesn't feel good, get it checked out.

Wow! LG. As usual your music makes me go ... uhh?

I could send you some of my favorites and you'd probably go, Dan.. uhh?

That's about all I have to say about that.

Well, maybe something else.

Every generation makes music in the now.

Nobody older than young people have a clue what it means.

That's never really changed much. Unless you're talking about music written in the 1800's for example. Then, even.. The new music was looked down upon.

There is something I realize about music. It's not a new idea.

Music is an expression, an expression of the era.

Cheers

Dan

One of the greatest singers ever. Please listen to words, video doesn't do ths song proper.

Next song. My very own most sentimental song ever. t was played at my wedding as the wedding song dance. Twelve years later divorce. Oops

Still, love ths song. For many years I didnt understand it. This is a song from a father to his son before the son goes off to war. The father realizes his son must go fight and also realizes he (the father) will die soon. He asks his son to come back home and at least stand over the dad's grave and sing an Ave Maria.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! LG. As usual your music makes me go ... uhh?

I could send you some of my favorites and you'd probably go, Dan.. uhh?

That's about all I have to say about that.

Well, maybe something else.

Every generation makes music in the now.

Nobody older than young people have a clue what it means.

That's never really changed much. Unless you're talking about music written in the 1800's for example. Then, even.. The new music was looked down upon.

There is something I realize about music. It's not a new idea.

Music is an expression, an expression of the era.

Cheers

Dan
Haha, yeah. Well, Disturbed is. :)

One of the greatest singers ever. Please listen to words, video doesn't do ths song proper.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRgWBN8yt_E

Next song. My very own most sentimental song ever. t was played at my wedding as the wedding song dance. Twelve years later divorce. Oops

Still, love ths song. For many years I didnt understand it. This is a song from a father to his son before the son goes off to war. The father realizes his son must go fight and also realizes he (the father) will die soon. He asks his son to come back home and at least stand over the dad's grave and sing an Ave Maria.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DquA6KyHTos
That's one that spans generations Dan. Or at least it speaks to every generation that's seen war... Yeah, that's pretty much all of them.

I like the new signature Dan, it made me chuckle.

I'm home from work early. I'm not feeling good, and I've got tons of sick time. I'll probably just go to bed here in a minute.

Howdy folks! I hope you're all doing well.

Dan, it takes a real man to be able to share his feelings or personal experiences in life. Cheers to you and never change my friend.

LG, I like a lot of the music you post. Some isn't my cup of tea, but I'm open enough to listen to it and enjoy it for the mere fact that it's art in and of itself.

I posted the below comment in another thread, as well.

For the first time in quite a while I'm doing an overnight mash tomorrow night.

It's this years pumpkin ale. I've decided I'm not a huge fan of the style when it comes to everyday pumpkin ales, so this year I'm kicking things up a notch. I've decided I might enjoy it more if it's much more full bodied and heavy, slightly sweet, and a higher abv than typical. I've decided to mash pretty high, since it's overnight. That should ensure some residual sweetness and keep my mash temp above the critical point for me. I'm hoping the overnight mash will get me a few extra efficiency points, since I'm going high gravity this year. I'm shooting for maybe 8.8-9.5% abv. I might even age this one on some whiskey soaked oak, but I haven't made my mind up on that yet.

Happy brewing friends, and Cheers!

That's why I'm about to throw away everything I worked for. To be with her.

I don't think that's true. No one can take away what you have learned. And what you have learned will get you places when you make your move. It's not like you are starting from scratch! You have expertise and experience, it won't be long until the Hawaiian powers that be in the military notice your talent and promote you. :)

We had a late flight canceled due to weather and I was able to leave work early. Suited up and climbed on my trusty Harley. The temperature was perfect the air fairly clean. Definitely a nice night for a ride. I was going to take the Freeway but opted to take a back road. Bad idea.

Aside from no lighting other than my headlamp and 10 billion little bugs smashing into my face, a car made a left turn in front of me way to close for comfort. I laid on my brakes and all was well but I thought to myself this is a bad ride and at the next intersection was a road that connects to the freeway. I was going to take it and get off the deathtrap.

The place the guy cut me off was on an "S" turn. The speed through the curve s 45. Most cars and motorcycles take it around 65. Tonight since it was dark I slowed through it going 50. About 100 yards past the turn I sped back up to 55 and then I see two dogs in the road, my side. To the left was a medium sized dog and his buddy to the right was a large dog. I couldn't swerve left or right so went through the gap between them.. Missed the dog on the left but the big dog on the right, my right shin slammed nto his head at 55 mph. I swear his head was made of granite. I felt bad, I wanted to stop and check on the dog but my leg hurt like he[[, I thought I could tough out the rest of the ride home, about 15 miles but my leg hurt.

There was a gas station about a half mile ahead and I pulled into it. The people there were really nice. Gave me ice and a chair, offered to drive me to the hospital. I told them no I'd be okay. But ended up giving in. Called my daughter and her and her friends drove to pick me up. Actually her friend drove which 'm happy for.

So, ex-rays showed no bone damage, just soft tissue damage. They gave me some Motrin and Vicodin. Wrapped it to help hold back the swelling, gave me a set of crutches and told me to say off 24 hours and if the sewing didn't go down to come back in tomorrow.

So, counting many blessing tonight. If that dog would have been just a little closer I would have hit him with my front tire and pretty sure I would have gone down. That wouldn't have been good. The lady at the gas station gave my leg a quick looksie. Told me what I needed to do and finally said she was a nurse for 14 years. I just will consider myself very fortunate tonight and will probably never ride that country road at night again.

I do feel bad for the dog and when I described it to the gal at the gas station she knew which dogs I was talking about because they have caused wrecks before and the owners don't do anything to keep them locked up and off the highway. Unfortunately to often I see dead dogs and cats on that road. I don't know if I killed the dog or not. I hope not. I have to go back and get my bike in a few days and will ask the gal.

Latest posts

Back